12.7 lbs Gravel (versatile road), disc brakes, electronic shifting X-Shifter

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

andreszucs wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:59 am
fourfa wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:53 am
Curious - why not use an expander plug, set the stem, then remove the plug? Then don't even need the small nut and bolt
That only works with lefty forks (old model) because the upper lefty clamp holds the steerer tightly, and the stem is not the element compressing it (I've done it before). It doesnt work with traditional system, overtime it will decompress.
none of the forks I've done this on have come loose, usually left for a whole season, so ~9 months.
That's one MTB, couple of road bikes and a cross bike.
All but the cross bike had carbon steerers.
And if you do have a headset adjustment isuse, a bolt like that is probably going to make it worse when the headset does start to pull on it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Klaster_1 wrote:
kilo wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:05 am
feedback of the x-shifter?
Non-existent customer support. Sleeps after ~15-20 minutes without shifts, so you miss miss a shift ocassionaly, like a on wireless keyboard; this was supposed to be addressed by firmware update long time ago. Expensive replacement batteries for what they are if you manage to get your hands on any, making your own fixing the existing one is much easier. It does what it claims to do, though, and potentially is hackable with appropriate skills.

I’d give the guy some slack. They don’t have the same operation like SRAM or Shimano, so I’d say Paul is doing the best he can to make everybody happy.

One thing that I tried very hard was to fit the X-shifter inside the frame, with a tiny extension usb cable bringing the connector flushed with the bottle cage flat plate, with a magnet charger, that would have been cool, but it didn’t fit!!! It would be a super slick solution. I’ll suggest Paul to redesign the X-shifter a little shorter, could be inserted through the headtube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

nice pics, looks like flagstaff above BLDR?

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

andreszucs wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:45 pm
I’d give the guy some slack. They don’t have the same operation like SRAM or Shimano, so I’d say Paul is doing the best he can to make everybody happy.
Doing the best and what comes of it are two different things. My sympathies are with Paul, given the lengths he went to in order to bring the product to life, but what I said above comes from real experience I and some other XShifter users had. Total lack of customer support for a product that's still being sold is a huge red flag, lots of small companies like Berk or Darimo have it, the company size does not justify the way Cell Cycling handles customers. Just something to be aware, as part of feedback for @kilo. Maybe take look at Archer D1x too.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

wpccrunner wrote:nice pics, looks like flagstaff above BLDR?
Yep, my weekly workout...2 to 3 times / week

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Klaster_1 wrote:
andreszucs wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:45 pm
Doing the best and what comes of it are two different things. My sympathies are with Paul, given the lengths he went to in order to bring the product to life, but what I said above comes from real experience I and some other XShifter users had. Total lack of customer support for a product that's still being sold is a huge red flag, lots of small companies like Berk or Darimo have it, the company size does not justify the way Cell Cycling handles customers. Just something to be aware, as part of feedback for @kilo. Maybe take look at Archer D1x too.
I don’t like the Archer’s remote, it’s huge and ugly. Well my experience purchasing the X-shifter was smooth, incredibly fast shipping considering it was from Asia, 4-5 days. I had my questions answered, no problems. Sorry it didn’t work out for you.

calleking

by calleking

Cool build! Inspiring.
2023 Wilier Rave SLR
2022 Wilier Filante SLR
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

calleking wrote:Cool build! Inspiring.
Thanks. If you check the parts list, I’m not using anything exorbitant to achieve that weight. Frame and fork are not the lightest, post/saddle could be lighter, wheels are light but I know these days it’s possible to go under a kilo with some fiber spokes.

By far the biggest weight saving is on the Brake&Shifting unorthodox solution.

Would love to see someone replicating this build with some exotic parts out there. Could possibly get to 10lbs.

kilo

by kilo

I had also seen the ARCHER system but the new remote is only for TRP Brakes and I have Sram force.

I don't like the other remotes, I also don't know if the new remote is already available

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

kilo wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:01 pm
I had also seen the ARCHER system but the new remote is only for TRP Brakes and I have Sram force.

I don't like the other remotes, I also don't know if the new remote is already available
Yeah, the road remote from X-shifter is like 3x smaller compared to the Archer. You can see in the beggining of my thread how the remote fairs next to the MT8 levers.

tgoods

by tgoods

Wow this build is so cool! I also have 2 daughters, so I am loving the Elsa and Anna bandaids. I've got the Magura MT8s on a mountain bike. They are very powerful and great feel, too.

I'm going to building up a sub 17LB CX bike for this fall and I may take a few queues from this build, albeit not any exotic parts.

tanhalt

by tanhalt

andreszucs wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:07 pm

Magura latest Mt8 levers, combined with Brake Force One H20 hose (the lightest ever, also alloying me to use heat to create that curvature next to the lever), and X-Tube Heat Shrink Wrap (put on ebay) creating a very nice finish with the handlebar.
Tell me more about the Brake Force One hose...is regular Magura tubing not heat-moldable?

I'm using the exact same bar clamp adapters to run Magura HS33 levers on a drop bar for my Cannondale XS800 CX bike "resto-mod" build, and would like to possibly re-route the hose under the bar tape like you did. Plus, I have a TT bike project using the Magura MT6 rim brakes that could use some "hose routing" help. Being able to heat mold tighter curvatures would be great.

BTW, your use of the X-shifter on this build inspired me to look into it, and I'm now using one on the XS800 mentioned above :D

Toybota

by Toybota

Wow.. sweet build.
I'm thinking about doing something similar with a Defy Frame.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

tgoods wrote:Wow this build is so cool! I also have 2 daughters, so I am loving the Elsa and Anna bandaids. I've got the Magura MT8s on a mountain bike. They are very powerful and great feel, too.

I'm going to building up a sub 17LB CX bike for this fall and I may take a few queues from this build, albeit not any exotic parts.

The frozen bandaids are the most exotic parts on this bike!

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

tanhalt wrote:
andreszucs wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:07 pm

Magura latest Mt8 levers, combined with Brake Force One H20 hose (the lightest ever, also alloying me to use heat to create that curvature next to the lever), and X-Tube Heat Shrink Wrap (put on ebay) creating a very nice finish with the handlebar.
Tell me more about the Brake Force One hose...is regular Magura tubing not heat-moldable?

I'm using the exact same bar clamp adapters to run Magura HS33 levers on a drop bar for my Cannondale XS800 CX bike "resto-mod" build, and would like to possibly re-route the hose under the bar tape like you did. Plus, I have a TT bike project using the Magura MT6 rim brakes that could use some "hose routing" help. Being able to heat mold tighter curvatures would be great.

BTW, your use of the X-shifter on this build inspired me to look into it, and I'm now using one on the XS800 mentioned above :D
Where did you get the bar clamp adapter?

Yes I was running the Magura hose exposed and outside the handlebar tape for some time, not ideal. The BFO hose is the only one out there that can be heated because it’s not built with any fiber mesh inside, the material itself is a very strong plastic, plus is extremely light. I was careful with the heat gun, from far away and slowing pulling the hose until I was happy with the angle, it can bend with a kink if done too fast.

The XS800 it’s a cool frame, X-shifter is going strong, happy with it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com