12.7 lbs Gravel (versatile road), disc brakes, electronic shifting X-Shifter

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

tanhalt wrote:
andreszucs wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:47 pm
TheKaiser wrote:
andreszucs wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:23 pm
Just came across an idea if the problem persists: maybe a tinny cut on the back of the olive, just like a seat tube frame has a cut to ‘bite’ a seat post, you could try using a dremmel and a super thin cutter.
Super cool projects in this thread! Yeah, that sounds like a reasonable thing to try with cutting the olive, as some brands use olives that have a slit in them exactly as you describe. I don't know if they actually endorse the idea, but it can allow the olive to be reused too, as there is usually less plastic deformation with the slit design vs a solid olive, and once the compression nut is backed off you can often slide the used olive right off the hose, rather than having the crimp be permanently mushed into the hose material.

I saw someone inquire earlier in this thread about brake fluid incompatibility issues, but I didn't see a reply from you (apologies if it missed it). What fluid are you using as the Sram calipers would normally use DOT and the Magura levers would normally use mineral oil, and with most brands the seals will very rapidly swell and deform upon contact with the wrong fluid?
I’m using the royal blood mineral oil from Magura, no issues. Sorry for the late reply Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
As I understand it, the issue usually is with trying to use DOT fluid with components designed for mineral oil. DOT fluid requires special O-ring and seal rubber compounds (typically EPDM, IIRC) that systems designed for mineral oil don't need to use (can get by with less expensive Buna-N type materials). It's the latter that swells upon contact with DOT fluid, and EPDM is just fine with mineral oil.

Now then, there IS a DOT fluid, DOT 5 Silicone, (NOT to be confused with DOT 5.1 glycol-based fluid) that should be compatible with seals for both systems. DOT 5 Silicone fluid is commonly used in collector cars since it doesn't absorb water vapor and degrade. The downside is that if water vapor gets in the system, it can "pool" in areas and cause rust/corrosion (so stainless brake lines is a good idea)...and if the brake fluid gets hot enough for to boil the water, you quickly lose system pressure...which probably means Silicone may not be a good idea for bicycle disc brakes. Hydraulic rim brakes shouldn't have that issue, and I've thought about using DOT 5 Silicone in my Magura HS33s.
Great sharing of knowledge. Myself not having that deep of a knowledge or research about that, I figured that mineral oil wouldn’t affect the sram seals at the caliper….and I can confirm that after using this mix for about 3 years straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tanhalt

by tanhalt

andreszucs wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:48 pm

Great sharing of knowledge. Myself not having that deep of a knowledge or research about that, I figured that mineral oil wouldn’t affect the sram seals at the caliper….and I can confirm that after using this mix for about 3 years straight.
Yeah, EPDM should be just fine with exposure to mineral oil.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com