What lube for filthy gravel rides?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Hi All

Curious what lube everyone uses for wet and mucky gravel rides? I've been using Smoove for a while now, but during todays filthy ride my chain sounded like a bag of spanners for the last 40km! I'm thinking maybe I need to go back to using Morgan Blue Race or Syn lube...

Thanks in advance!
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

Point

by Point

I'm in the same boat as you. Like you, I've found Smoove is horrific in mud and wet weather.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

People often say water washes off hot-bath wax on chains. Personally I have not find that to be the case. IMHO wax is probably the best lube for extreme conditions. I ride in the winter when we have melted slush and road salt on the paved roads. The hot-bath wax has held up as good as when the conditions are dry. Hot-bath wax is all that I use for road and gravel riding.

bmCube

by bmCube

I use tunap ultimate on all my bicycles in all weather. Even after a soaking wet rain ride, chain performs still good and virtually quiet.

HotWireMyHeart

by HotWireMyHeart

That combination of dirt/grit and being washed by spray constantly (in the UK, at least) is going to get most lubes off, however good they are. I use Muc-Off wet lube and just accept that I need to liberally apply it and then clean and re-apply it after each ride.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

HotWireMyHeart wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:03 am
That combination of dirt/grit and being washed by spray constantly (in the UK, at least) is going to get most lubes off, however good they are. I use Muc-Off wet lube and just accept that I need to liberally apply it and then clean and re-apply it after each ride.
This is what I've typically done. Muc off wet, followed by a wash and reapply after each ride. However, I recently set my gravel bike up on Absolute Black Graphenwax. I've yet to take it out on a wet and filthy ride, but I'm quite curious to see how it holds up.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've put some Morgan Blue Syn Lube on this time around, I'll see how that goes.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

tomee

by tomee

I'm currently using Morgan blue extra dry lube and it's been clean after muddy, wet and dusty rides. I just always clean and reapply after every ride.

Keen to try NFS lube

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

tomee wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:10 pm
I'm currently using Morgan blue extra dry lube and it's been clean after muddy, wet and dusty rides. I just always clean and reapply after every ride.

Keen to try NFS lube

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I'm going to try the extra dry version next as it has some very good reviews.
I tried NFS, after applying it as per the Zero Friction Cycling guide my chain was the loudest it's ever been!
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

tomee

by tomee

mogwaiboi wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:49 am

I'm going to try the extra dry version next as it has some very good reviews.
I tried NFS, after applying it as per the Zero Friction Cycling guide my chain was the loudest it's ever been!
thanks, you just saved me $40! :lol:

MikeD

by MikeD

I don't know why Smoove isn't working for you. It works the longest of any lubes I've used for dusty conditions. I also thought it works well in wet conditions too, but I don't ride in mud and wet conditions. Run a heat gun over your chain after application as it Smoove has trouble penetrating the chain because it's relatively viscous.

Supersix56

by Supersix56

We use Squirt here in Portland.

No mess and no fuss.
Eco and the fastest lube out there.
Portland based
Sagan SS 2012 Team Issue

calleking

by calleking

Squirt lube here in Sweden. Still fascinating that it works so well and the chain looks somewhat clean even after some absolute nightmare conditions (below freezing point, mud, you-name-it). I run it on all my bikes now during all conditions. Sounds like an ad, i know, but it really works great. Used to use Muc-off before that.
2023 Wilier Rave SLR
2022 Wilier Filante SLR
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Ceramicspeed UFO drip is the one for gravel for me. I can't afford to hot wax gravel bike after each ride so I prefer drip lube for it.
Unlike Silca drip on or Smoove or other wax,
New formula Ceramicspeed UFO drip has the disadvantage that it doesn't stick very tight to the chain and just fall off in not so long time.
However, unlike other wax, the UFO drip doesn't leave black gum behind on the chain.
So, after one gravel ride that completely cover chain in dust, dirt, grime. I clean the bike with just water and some rub (no degrease). Then apply UFO drip on it. Repeatedly, other wax would cumulate black gunk around parts of the chain and pulley wheel. But Ceramicspeed UFO drip doesn't.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

abonjour

by abonjour

For you guys running wax or squirt etc in the wet, how the hell do you stop your chain rusting? It doesn't seems to matter what I try, or how well I clean, dry and reapply, the rust always appears. Really trying to avoid going back to wet lubes because I love wax in literally every other condition!