What lube for filthy gravel rides?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Hexsense

by Hexsense

abonjour wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:12 pm
For you guys running wax or squirt etc in the wet, how the hell do you stop your chain rusting? It doesn't seems to matter what I try, or how well I clean, dry and reapply, the rust always appears.
depend on the chain and cassette.
YBN SLA Gold both 11 and 12 speed chain just don't rust.

Sram Red chain is also rust proof.
Shimano chain generally is not safe from rust.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Point

by Point

Agreed with Hexsense regarding rust with Shimano. I've had KMC chains for years using teflon lubes and never had rust. I've recently switched to Shimano along with changing to squirt drip wax and rust just keeps appearing (wet/muddy conditions). That's following several meticulous cleans, blowing out the water from the chain and re-waxing. I'd put it down to squirt, I hadn't considered it being the Shimano chain.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

abonjour

by abonjour

Thanks. I've definitely had rust with KMC chains but mainly when I've messed up and forgotten to clean. Now you mention it, yes it probably is a fair bit worse on my shimano chains! Will try a KMC with the wax then and see how that handles some dirty riding.

Miller

by Miller

My experience is that mud getting on the chain will remove any lubricant. I mean, the beauty industry is aware, mud face packs are a thing.
Once you've washed your bike and chain, the chain gets rusty until you ride it again. It's hell for the drivetrain though.

Now that the weather in UK finally looks to be heading milder and drier I'm putting a new chain and cassette on my road bike. I've been riding it all winter and the chain is trashed, I was just holding out till the weather looked better.

Running costs innit.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

This new 'Grax' looks interesting: https://alliedcycleworks.com/collections/grax
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Watching this thread with interest, rode through a couple of very deep puddles the other day and the telltale squeaking of an unlubricated chain soon started.
Just using some teflon wet lube right now and wiping off excess thoroughly.

Using a Wippermann chain which hasn't shown any signs of rust yet.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Ceramic Speed UFO Drip V2. Easy application, super fast and no grime on the chain or cassette.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7