Disc rubbing when out of the saddle

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Anyone reading this, don't use this bodge as a fix.

Take the bike to a shop that will be able to fix it correctly.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Yeah like...swapping axles probably did two things

1) The new axle is stiffer and reduced fork flex somewhat.
2) The extra torque recentered the pads vs caliper.

The first part is fine...the second is dumb. All you have to do is center the caliper adequately.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

ryanw wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:09 pm
Anyone reading this, don't use this bodge as a fix.

Take the bike to a shop that will be able to fix it correctly.
Explain to me how this is wrong if he is torquing within the specs of the axle and it's fixing the problem?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Is spec of the axle the only torque spec you should care?
What about the fork?
I though it's the minimum of the two that should be followed.

ms6073

by ms6073

OnTheRivet wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:42 am
Explain to me how this is wrong if he is torquing within the specs of the axle and it's fixing the problem?
I imagine it might be a problem if the fork is all carbon where the higher torque spec could compress the layers, causing the thru-axle interface to deform and crack.
Last edited by ms6073 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Lupo

by Lupo

It's worth checking the hub bearings and preload and if the fork has removable drop out interfaces, check these. If you have movement that's being reduced with 17nm of torque on the axle it's in these places (flex will account for some of it).

17nm might be ok for the axle but I'm curious to see if there's now drag in the hub.

Boooooo

by Boooooo

Visqu wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:55 pm
Center the caliper around the disc, then reset the pads. A common mistake is to center using the pads as reference.

The caliper slots are also quite narrow and you might actually be rubbing the caliper and not the pads if the caliper is not centered properly.
finally someone! I've realized had the same identical rubbing even with pads removed! :shock: :faint: From then I've started centering whatever disc brake with the naked eye with best results.

Have to say can happens to hear a "vibration" sound beside than a "rub" sound, clearing a vibration because can happens even simple when steering fast right-left I mean without put any power. Also seems occurring more on the shimano ice-tech rotor or is the finned pads, by the way pretty sure is a vibration (same sound make the bike bouncing)