How much does your gravel bike weigh? (why are they so heavy?)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Singular

by Singular

My trusty steed for gravel racing, winter riding, travel, brevets, wet-weather training, adventures and everything else that does not fit in the road/CX/XC mold is my Surly Crosscheck, which has done its fifteenth (?) year. Weightwise it is quite far from the other entries in the thread; on the startline it is about 13kg (ex water), and I managed to wrestle it down to 12,2 with a set of CX carbon tubs (for an event). Full fenders, 9-speed Campag and cantis are a excellent way reap benefits of being underestimated. :)

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Not my lightest gravel bike but I put a new fork on it today and happened to take a beauty shot 🤣
17.0 Lbs as is -

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattMay

by MattMay

My 3T Exploro Ltd is 6.77kg with road wheelset/tires, 7.08kg gravel wheelset/tires. Full build in Introduce Yourself/Gallery.

DHG01

by DHG01

Singular wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:55 pm
My trusty steed for gravel racing, winter riding, travel, brevets, wet-weather training, adventures and everything else that does not fit in the road/CX/XC mold is my Surly Crosscheck, which has done its fifteenth (?) year. Weightwise it is quite far from the other entries in the thread; on the startline it is about 13kg (ex water), and I managed to wrestle it down to 12,2 with a set of CX carbon tubs (for an event). Full fenders, 9-speed Campag and cantis are a excellent way reap benefits of being underestimated. :)

Gorgeous machine.

Marin

by Marin

Leading the pack with cantis and full mudguards 🔥🔥🔥

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Marin wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:55 pm
https://www.brit.co/not-trying-too-hard/

Singular

by Singular

Marin wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:55 pm
Ha! That's flattering but unfortunately, the first photo isn't telling the whole story - I'm sitting on second or third wheel (one can barely make out the rear wheel of the powerhouse in front of me) hanging on for dear life while a number of national-level bighitters (I think there is at least a few nats champs, a marathon series winner and ex-pros in the picture) on World Cup-class CX rigs try to pull the field apart. And there I was, just barely taking the handlebar bag off before expecting a completely different type of development and participation...

(I managed both a LOT of heckling and a few splits/selections and ended up fifth, and I to this day think it was my best effort on a bike being completely destroyed. And I stopped thrice on the two-hour drive home to eat.)

Lupo

by Lupo

Interesting seeing a few bikes in here with heavily cut out jocket wheels. In my experience of CX over the years, including World Cups, World Champs etc, the number cause of blown up derailleurs and wheels was a failure of the derailleur to pass chain after cut outs became blocked with heavy mud and grass. It's manageable if you've got spare bikes in the bits and the derailleur is cleaned every 3.5-7 minutes, but becomes a real issue in the middle of nowhere.

Are people riding these set ups riding in different conditions?

Lupo

by Lupo

//

Singular

by Singular

Lupo wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:29 am
Interesting seeing a few bikes in here with heavily cut out jocket wheels. In my experience of CX over the years, including World Cups, World Champs etc, the number cause of blown up derailleurs and wheels was a failure of the derailleur to pass chain after cut outs became blocked with heavy mud and grass. It's manageable if you've got spare bikes in the bits and the derailleur is cleaned every 3.5-7 minutes, but becomes a real issue in the middle of nowhere.

Do you really think that all of the gucci gravelgrinders are being ridden in those conditions? ;)

But I do follow you - here's to 40 minutes of racing on a wet lawn in a local series last season;

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Lupo wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:29 am

Every one of those after market jockey wheels (admittedly on others bikes) worked worse than stock and were louder.

kroem

by kroem

Rebuilt and completed my gravel, about 7.2kg with "gravel setup" (Gravelking SS)

Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

grantrstubbs

by grantrstubbs

kroem wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:15 pm
Rebuilt and completed my gravel, about 7.2kg with "gravel setup" (Gravelking SS)

What frame is that?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kroem

by kroem

grantrstubbs wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:53 am
kroem wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:15 pm

https://i.imgur.com/Rtkt6ak.jpg
What frame is that?
It's a Tantan GR039
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)