Help needed from e13 9-46 12 Speed Cassette users

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

gSporco

by gSporco

Hey All,

So as my Aspero becomes my dedicated do it all bike.. I am going to to commit to a mullet build with my Eagel AXS RD and 40-44t CR up front and an e13 9-46 Cassette.

My issue is, shifting from 9 to 10 isnt smooth and doest make it up most of the time.. it just grinds until I shift to the 12.. Every other cog shifts perfectly.. I can even back pedal without the chain dropping down the cassette..

Im using a KMC X12 chain.. but it does this with a 12 speen YBN chain as well.

All my limits are perfectly set, B-gap is dialied in.. Derailleur hanger was trued prior to putting on the Eagle RD..

So what do you think it is? And if this happened to you, did you fix it? How?

Thanks WW's!
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Gap too wide? I have 4 cassettes with a 9t (3t, Leonardi, e13 and Sroad) and don't have this problem with any Sram derailleur, but I'm running 11s mechanical.

kkotsiouros

by kkotsiouros

I would try a longer chain. The optimal chain length for you is the same as you have 50 tooth rear +4 links. Not 46 +4links. So I would add 2 links(one narrow +one wider).

gSporco

by gSporco

kkotsiouros wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:44 am
I would try a longer chain. The optimal chain length for you is the same as you have 50 tooth rear +4 links. Not 46 +4links. So I would add 2 links(one narrow +one wider).
Okay so Chain length for 1x with an Eagle 10-50 is wrap big to big and use 2 outer and 2 inner.. For clarification you are saying that for the 9-46, I should use the chain measurment for a 10-50 correct?

Thank you!
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

kkotsiouros

by kkotsiouros

Correct.

For this setup (9 tooth small sprocket 46 big) I would try and chain length as 50 tooth rear sprocket +6links because this way, upper pulley go closer to 9tooth sprocket (you have not 10tooth as smallest sprocket and not 50 as bigger).

So you have to tray with 9-46 rear:
1) Minimum: chain length (46tooth big rear)-(big front) +6links (this is the same chain length as with 50tooth rear +4 recommended)

2) maybe better: 46big-big +8links because you have 9tooth (and not 10tooth) small and 46(and not 50)big. This option is tray and error.

3) adjust b-screw as usual

I hope this help.

gSporco

by gSporco

kkotsiouros wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:06 am
Correct.

For this setup (9 tooth small sprocket 46 big) I would try and chain length as 50 tooth rear sprocket +6links because this way, upper pulley go closer to 9tooth sprocket (you have not 10tooth as smallest sprocket and not 50 as bigger).

So you have to tray with 9-46 rear:
1) Minimum: chain length (46tooth big rear)-(big front) +6links (this is the same chain length as with 50tooth rear +4 recommended)

2) maybe better: 46big-big +8links because you have 9tooth (and not 10tooth) small and 46(and not 50)big. This option is tray and error.

3) adjust b-screw as usual

I hope this help.
yes it does thank you!!
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

gSporco

by gSporco

So an update... All is hunky dory in the 1x world now for me.

Goodbye sram axs 2x (to hell with their FD)
Hello Eagle AXS mullet with e13 9/46 cassette

Running an extra chain link as suggested above and adjusted thw RD bgap to within 7mm tooth to tooth which is about 6mm closer than sram recommends with their 10/50 cassette

Shifting is fast and crisp and no noise!!

BTW infeel the Eagle AXS RD shifts faster than the Force AXS RD. Maybe a bigger motor? Who know.. or maybe because it just work so well I feel its faster.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

grover

by grover

The AXS rear shifting is slowed down when there is a front derailleur paired. If you pair the Force AXS rear derailleur without the front derailleur it will shift as fast as the Eagle AXS derailleur.
Last edited by grover on Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gSporco

by gSporco

grover wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:16 am
The AXS rear shifting is slowed down when their is a front derailleur paired. If you pair the Force AXS rear derailleur without the front derailleur it will shift as fast as the Eagle AXS derailleur.
Interesting.... the things you learn lol
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Barnet

by Barnet

Hi I'm literally having the same issue with my aspero. Same bike,cassette,rear mech and have the same issue. I'm running an xx1 chain but still have the issue ! What size chainring are you using and do you know what chain line you are running ? And has the problem completely gone since you lengthened your chain ? Any help would be really appreciated. Seems the more money I spend on my bike the worse it rides 😩

gSporco

by gSporco

Barnet wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:55 pm
Hi I'm literally having the same issue with my aspero. Same bike,cassette,rear mech and have the same issue. I'm running an xx1 chain but still have the issue ! What size chainring are you using and do you know what chain line you are running ? And has the problem completely gone since you lengthened your chain ? Any help would be really appreciated. Seems the more money I spend on my bike the worse it rides 😩
Is the problem you are having, my original problem of the shifting from 9-10? If so, no, my problem returned and its really annoying.. I tried longers chain, smaller chain and regualar chain sizing.. and nothing solves it.. I tried micro adjusting to favor an upshift, but then I get cassette noise in the upper half of the cassette when my chain is angled..

Oddly though.. I bought a e13 9-50 cassette (because I am an idiot and never learn) for a great price and wouldnt you know it.. its shifts like a gem, now matter what chain length is run and with CR 40/42 and 44T.

Minor issue is with the 44T CR and the 50 Cog, if I back pedal fast the chain drops down.. But, I can back pedal slow and it doesnt.. That being said.. I have no need for a 44T with a 9t Cog so I stuck my 42T CR for a happy medium and it works flawlesly..

I think the 9-46 maybe flawed or some maybe defective.. There was a video on YouTube where a guy was having the same isue from going from 9-10 on an MTB and he bent one of the teeth on 10 cog and was able to get i to shift back and forth without issues..

I am not going to do this, becasue i will probably break it.. So I just deal with it and use the 9-46 as my dedicated Zwift Trainer cassette as i never use the 9t on Zwift.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Barnet

by Barnet

Thanks and yes exactly the same issue ! Was hoping the longer chain would sort it as I've tried everything else 😩 I originally bought a force axs mech and added a garbaruk rd hanger to find it wasn't compatible with 9 tooth and kept jumping . Then spent more money on the eagle to still have issues with chain line etc and since I've changed my chain line slightly it now won't change like you describe. I've even watched the same video as you and have contemplated doing it to mine but was hoping your findings would work. So back to the drawing board now and prob have to start looking at cassettes too ! Like the 9 tooth tho means you can run a fairly mountain bike range but with a good top
End too for on the road ... annoying wish I'd of stayed with 11spd now

gSporco

by gSporco

Barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:45 pm
Thanks and yes exactly the same issue ! Was hoping the longer chain would sort it as I've tried everything else 😩 I originally bought a force axs mech and added a garbaruk rd hanger to find it wasn't compatible with 9 tooth and kept jumping . Then spent more money on the eagle to still have issues with chain line etc and since I've changed my chain line slightly it now won't change like you describe. I've even watched the same video as you and have contemplated doing it to mine but was hoping your findings would work. So back to the drawing board now and prob have to start looking at cassettes too ! Like the 9 tooth tho means you can run a fairly mountain bike range but with a good top
End too for on the road ... annoying wish I'd of stayed with 11spd now
Well, not that you are looking to spend more money.. But the e13 9-50 cassette is smooth as butter.. Also the 10-50 Eagel cassette works great. Also, both the Eagle and KMC X12 chains work well.

Can you tell me more about your experience with the Garbaruk Cage and Extender? Reason I ask is, I am looking to go to the new 40T or 42T Cassette that Garbaruk is developing in the Spring.. and with that I would go back to the Force AXS RD with and extender rather than use th elarger Eagle AXS RD
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Barnet

by Barnet

Guess I'll just keep pissing about with it till I either suss it or buy another cassette! It shifted ok on a smaller chain line but was real noisey bottom end. Apart from the issue of incompatibility with 9 tooth the garbaruk rd hanger was sweet was really light well machined looked wicked and was priced right ! Worked perfect and the ceramic bearings run like digit spinners !

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Just go Garbaruk 10-48. Mine has been flawless. I didn't go e13 because of all the stuff I read about that you are dealing with.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com