Help needed from e13 9-46 12 Speed Cassette users

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

gSporco

by gSporco

Barnet wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:36 pm
Guess I'll just keep pissing about with it till I either suss it or buy another cassette! It shifted ok on a smaller chain line but was real noisey bottom end. Apart from the issue of incompatibility with 9 tooth the garbaruk rd hanger was sweet was really light well machined looked wicked and was priced right ! Worked perfect and the ceramic bearings run like digit spinners !

It is my understanding to remove the cage of the Force/Red AXS RD you need a special tool? Does Garbaruk supply this too in the kit? If not do you know what kind of tool its and where to get it..

Last thing.. The Garbaruk cage kit, does it also come with a road link similar to the Wolftooth roadlink that bolts to the RD first then the link into the RD Hanger on the frame?

If it does come with the extension hanger my understanding is that you can run the cage only and it will work with 48T maximum cassette, but the hanger extension is for 50T-52T cog max? Is that correct?
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Barnet

by Barnet

Hi sorry for my delayed response garbaruk do supply you with a special tool, the only tricky bit for me was getting the hanger clip off but it's one of those 'once you have done it' things tbh. So adding to what your asking yes it does come with a remote hanger type thing as mentioned above. You may be able to run up to 48 without it but as I've mentioned it would need to much b line adjustment that I feel even a 10tooth would jump. Great bit of kit but don't run a 9 tooth with it basically. As for this missing gear change, I've sussed it on my set up. I removed the xdr 1.8mm spacer and micro adjustment to suit. It now changes up from 12th to 11th. I have slighty altered the pick up teeth like the vid you mentioned but I'm not sure it was needed tbh. Changes pretty good now. Finally went out without any issues ! Hope this helps !!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gSporco

by gSporco

Barnet wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:36 pm
Hi sorry for my delayed response garbaruk do supply you with a special tool, the only tricky bit for me was getting the hanger clip off but it's one of those 'once you have done it' things tbh. So adding to what your asking yes it does come with a remote hanger type thing as mentioned above. You may be able to run up to 48 without it but as I've mentioned it would need to much b line adjustment that I feel even a 10tooth would jump. Great bit of kit but don't run a 9 tooth with it basically. As for this missing gear change, I've sussed it on my set up. I removed the xdr 1.8mm spacer and micro adjustment to suit. It now changes up from 12th to 11th. I have slighty altered the pick up teeth like the vid you mentioned but I'm not sure it was needed tbh. Changes pretty good now. Finally went out without any issues ! Hope this helps !!
Thanks Barnet... I may by the Garbaruk kit knce they make their smaller range 12 speed cassette 10-40 or whatever they decide.

Can you clarify what you are doing with the Hub spacer?

E13 cassette on an XD freehub does not need a spacer
E13 cassette on an XDR freehub needs a spacer

Are you using the XDR without the spacer? And it works shifting from 9 to 10? How is back pedaling in the 46 cog, does the chain drop down with the increased chain line?
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Barnet

by Barnet

E13 on an xdr free hub without spacer. Changes through every gear and back pedals without dropping on all gears just hops a bit in the lower gears back pedalling but has always done that with the short chain stays giving such a huge chain line difference

Barnet

by Barnet

Garbaruk hanger feels like it's made of plastic it's that light and the ceramic jockey wheels are like digit spinners ! Great merchandise

gSporco

by gSporco

Barnet wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:39 pm
E13 on an xdr free hub without spacer. Changes through every gear and back pedals without dropping on all gears just hops a bit in the lower gears back pedalling but has always done that with the short chain stays giving such a huge chain line difference
Wow that's interesting... I thought the spacer was mandatory on XDR freehub with XD cassettes due to the thread alignment. I may try this. Obviously this moves the cassette 1.8mm towards the non drive side thus making the chain easier to move up the gears from 9 to 46. I learn something new every day lol
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

kroem

by kroem

gSporco wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:28 am
Barnet wrote:
Wow that's interesting... I thought the spacer was mandatory on XDR freehub with XD cassettes due to the thread alignment. I may try this. Obviously this moves the cassette 1.8mm towards the non drive side thus making the chain easier to move up the gears from 9 to 46. I learn something new every day lol
It wont go in the full 1.85mm I think.

I needed to run my 3T cassette without spacer (on XDR) too
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

gSporco wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:15 pm
Thanks Barnet... I may by the Garbaruk kit knce they make their smaller range 12 speed cassette 10-40 or whatever they decide.
Just for another data point, I was blown away by the quality my 10-48 Garbaruk cassette when I received it, especially after handling an E13. The Garbaruk is, dare I say, nicer than the sram Eagle XX1 cassette on my mtb. Also, I have had none of the issues that reviewers have had with mine, it has been flawless. I'd like to see Garbaruk succeed as they are a great alternative to overpriced SRAM cassettes.

andy4g63

by andy4g63

gSporco wrote:
Barnet wrote:
@gSporco:

I am trying todo a setup similar to yours with 44t. CR and probably 9-46/50 cassette.
All that with force AXS shifters and Eagle GX AXS RD...

What is your best shifting combo,
How do you find the gaps down the cassette on the road
How long of a chain you running compared to big/big combo plus xtra links
How is the noise
What kind of chain you running

Appreciate your help
Regards Andrey

gSporco

by gSporco

andy4g63 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:16 pm
gSporco wrote:
Barnet wrote:
@gSporco:

I am trying todo a setup similar to yours with 44t. CR and probably 9-46/50 cassette.
All that with force AXS shifters and Eagle GX AXS RD...

What is your best shifting combo,
How do you find the gaps down the cassette on the road
How long of a chain you running compared to big/big combo plus xtra links
How is the noise
What kind of chain you running

Appreciate your help
Regards Andrey
I replied to your email, but ill answer here just incase someone else is interesed.

What is your best shifting combo: 44T 9-26 Road/ All Road - If Iam doing endurance ride on tough gravel ill swap to 42T 9-50
How do you find the gaps down the cassette on the road: It just takes time to get used to.. If you are a cadence junky then it may not be right for you
How long of a chain you running compared to big/big combo plus xtra links: I use the Sram meathod of plus 2 links when measuring big to big
How is the noise: the 9t is a little chunky sounding, the 11t has some slight vibration, other than that nothing major.. But definetly not as smooth as Road AXS setup
What kind of chain you running: Ive used KMC X12 and Eagel XX1 with success.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

andy4g63

by andy4g63

Thank very much for the reply...
Sorry for my late response...

I see you posted in another AXS mullet thread in late December of 2020.

Seems like your issues are gone and you switched to E13 9-46...

How is everything running now???

Thanks

gSporco

by gSporco

andy4g63 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:21 pm

Thanks
I am constantly switching, because I like tinkering and change for big rides.. But yes, all configurations are working flawless.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

andy4g63

by andy4g63

gSporco wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:58 pm
andy4g63 wrote:

Thanks
I am constantly switching, because I like tinkering and change for big rides.. But yes, all configurations are working flawless.
So the E13 9-46 12sp. and Sram Axs 1X plus Eagle Axs RD its running smoothly.

Happy to hear that.
Have you tried the YBN chain with this setup?
I think E13 recommended using YBN chain?
Lmk, thanks a ton

gSporco

by gSporco

andy4g63 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:27 pm
gSporco wrote:
andy4g63 wrote:

Thanks

Happy to hear that.
Lmk, thanks a ton
Yes, my first kit came with a YBN chain. I would say the Eagle and YBN chain are the smoothest and the KMC lagging behind a bit on the 9-46. But on the 9-50 the KMC works just as well as the eagle and ybn
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andy4g63

by andy4g63

gSporco wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:28 am
andy4g63 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:27 pm
gSporco wrote:
andy4g63 wrote:

Thanks

Happy to hear that.
Lmk, thanks a ton
Yes, my first kit came with a YBN chain. I would say the Eagle and YBN chain are the smoothest and the KMC lagging behind a bit on the 9-46. But on the 9-50 the KMC works just as well as the eagle and ybn
Thanks for your help.👍👍👍.

Just curious which setup you running right now???

Cassette, chain, CR???

How do you find that 1X set-up?

Would you rather go back 2X ???