Panaracer Gravel King SS

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

New tire from Panaracer. Anyone use this "SS" version yet?

https://www.panaracerusa.com/products/g ... ires#specs

2016 Diverge Expert

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Relientk1202

by Relientk1202

I ordered some 35mm 700c that should be in this week. I’ll give some feedback as soon as I get them mounted up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frisco

by Frisco

446g for SS+ 700x38

Relientk1202

by Relientk1202

My 35mm SS tire weighed in at 368.9g and 373.2g. Mounting them up tonight and should get a ride in on them over the weekend. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Relientk1202

by Relientk1202

Got two rides on these tires so far. One on a 99% pavement ride and one on a mostly gravel/dirt road ride. I’m very impressed with them! They did their job and felt good on both rides. I’ve previously been running the following tires:

- Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass 35mm EL
- Rene Herse Barlow Pass 38mm EL
- Rene Herse Steilacoom 38 mm EL
- GravelKing Slick 32mm

These tires feel a little stiffer than the RH tires but also seem much much much more durable. The bead on these is much more substantial than the RH tires. My biggest problem with the RH tires is that no matter what I did I could not keep them from either blowing off the my rims from too high of pressure or burping from too low of pressure. I did every single thing they recommended and everything the internet recommended with no luck what so ever. The GravelKing SS tires went on super easy with a standard floor pump and have stayed sealed with only a small amount of sealant.

I miss the actual tan walls and when they were working the great feel from the RH tire but I think this will be my go to for a fast gravel tire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dbnm

by dbnm

I've got more than a 100 miles on the 38mm SS+ model and they are terrific. Perfect on gravel when pressure is around 28psi and great on pavement at 35psi.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

What size do you think on a 25mm internal rim width
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

gSporco

by gSporco

I wonder if an SS in the Back and an SK in the Front would be a good idea for Dirty Kanza type gravel.. Im thinking 43mm on my Aspero running about 26 psi..

What do you think?
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Marin

by Marin

Kanza is won on 35mm I hear.

MikeD

by MikeD

Anyone that uses Gravelking tires notice that the bead stretches out over time, so a flat tubeless tire is difficult to inflate? I had this problem with Compass tires which are made also made by Panaracer. I'd like to use Gravelking when my Hutchinson Overides wear out because they have lower rolling resistance.

Relientk1202

by Relientk1202

MikeD wrote:Anyone that uses Gravelking tires notice that the bead stretches out over time, so a flat tubeless tire is difficult to inflate? I had this problem with Compass tires which are made also made by Panaracer. I'd like to use Gravelking when my Hutchinson Overides wear out because they have lower rolling resistance.
Mike, I had the same issue with my Compass/Rene Herse tires and was told that my rims were out of spec even though every other tire doesn’t have the same issue. I have run 32mm GravelKing Slicks for some time and they have not stretched in the same way. I believe that Compass/RH tires use a different bead and casing material that causes the stretching.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Marin wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:05 am
Actually, Colin Strickland won DK200 last year on 42mm Specialized Pathfinder Pros (and averaged 20mph). I picked up a set last week, on my 23c rims they measure out to a lil over 44mm and are still pretty fast. I'm really liking them so far.

gSporco

by gSporco

rides4beer wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:45 pm
Marin wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:05 am
Actually, Colin Strickland won DK200 last year on 42mm Specialized Pathfinder Pros (and averaged 20mph). I picked up a set last week, on my 23c rims they measure out to a lil over 44mm and are still pretty fast. I'm really liking them so far.
I think the Pathfinder is a good comparison to the GK SS.. Knobby sides with a ruff, but smooth center.. These both seem to be the ideal race oriented dry gravel tire.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Marin

by Marin

I'm running Vredestein Aventuras on the big bike, probably the best-riding tire I've ever had. Also a similar concept.

MikeD

by MikeD

Relientk1202 wrote:
MikeD wrote:Anyone that uses Gravelking tires notice that the bead stretches out over time, so a flat tubeless tire is difficult to inflate? I had this problem with Compass tires which are made also made by Panaracer. I'd like to use Gravelking when my Hutchinson Overides wear out because they have lower rolling resistance.
Mike, I had the same issue with my Compass/Rene Herse tires and was told that my rims were out of spec even though every other tire doesn’t have the same issue. I have run 32mm GravelKing Slicks for some time and they have not stretched in the same way. I believe that Compass/RH tires use a different bead and casing material that causes the stretching.

Good to know, thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com