What Gravel Pedal does a Weight Weenie Use?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

tepextate

by tepextate

Thanks! I took a look at them. Consensus seems to be that they are really difficult to clip in and out of, unfortunately.

RDY

by RDY

tepextate wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:54 am
Thanks! I took a look at them. Consensus seems to be that they are really difficult to clip in and out of, unfortunately.
All ATAC cleat based pedals are very easy to enter and exit. Not sure where you got that from.

I have a pair of Cyclos. Never had any issue clipping or unclipping.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

What is the lowest stack height gravel pedal around?
XTR 9100 has 8.1mm pedal stack height (not including cleats)
Time ATAC XC 12 has 10mm

I guess Ritchey WCS micro might be lower than both of those.
Is Time Cyclo lower?

Anders

by Anders

I use my Speedplay Zero and road shoes to race gravel as I'm not walking. Fastest and lightest setup.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I was going to go with SRM XPower, but not sure.. might go with Garmin Vectors... the riding I have around here is all flat and I won't be doing any walking at all...
Im still wondering if a V4 is coming or not...

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Well, just got some Xpower duals coming! And a PS5.. it was an expensive day....

cubixthe

by cubixthe

Noctiluxx wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:28 pm
I use Egg beater 11 titanium pedals. While they are light and look really cool, they creak big time under heavy load. Going back to XTR.
You didn't set them up correctly. The only reason they creak is because the pedal body doesn't contact your sole properly and the weight is resting on the spring. Some shoes require thicker contact sleeves on them and once properly fitted they don't creak. The EggBeater is the easiest pedal I've tried to clip out of during an emergency, that's why I love them.

bobrayner

by bobrayner

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:31 pm
What is the lowest stack height gravel pedal around?
XTR 9100 has 8.1mm pedal stack height (not including cleats)
Time ATAC XC 12 has 10mm

I guess Ritchey WCS micro might be lower than both of those.
Is Time Cyclo lower?
If we don't include cleat height, it might not be a like-for-like comparison; different cleats are different heights. The main difference between Ritchey micro cleats and regular SPD is the cutout to reduce stack height.

With a Ritchey Micro cleat clipped into a Ritchey Micro Road pedal, the distance from axle centre to shoe sole is about 12mm. The diameter of the cast at the point the cleat sits is just under 14mm, so the pedal-stack-minus-cleat is slightly less than 7mm. Comparing that to double-sided XC pedals, the Ritchey Comp XC v4 on my training bike have a 9.5mm pedal-stack-minus-cleat, and the Shimano XT lurking in my toolbox (I can't remember why I bought them) are 10mm.

Personally, I don't worry much about stack height; I like the pedals because they're sleek and light. It's a shame Ritchey discontinued them; the Ritchey Micro Road would be a perfect gravel pedal, and a little more development and fancy materials (cf the more expensive Speedplay options) could shave off a few more grammes... :-)
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

tepextate wrote:
I've got two sets (6 & 2) of the new Time Cyclo pedals. They do need to break in, then they hang OK. The right-hand ones are also difficult to release initially (across a few cleats in the different the orientations) - again this broke in on the 6, the 2s are too new to judge.
What I like about the Cyclo over the ATAC is that Cyclo doesn't need to be mashed in like the ATAC. The Cyclo is easier to get into once you find the correct side. The shape is also nicer to look at. The ATAC doesn't need to have the correct side found, but is harder to locate the cleat.

ern

by ern

Shimano XT

DDX

by DDX

I had the cyclo 6 pedal but went back to spd (xtr 9100) after couple of issues with the pedal staying in the clipped in state (or going to clipped in state while cleat not engaged, not sure)
Making it impossible to clip in an I needed pliers to fix this.
Really liked them when riding but don't want to bring pliers with me on all rides so after 4th time in 2 weeks went back to spd.

Same issue as described on this forum :
https://www.ridinggravel.com/forum/?p=p ... trail%3D50

lightspeedylight

by lightspeedylight

Hi all. I got xpedo m force 8 titanium. 215 grams and spd compatible. Easy in easy out. Coming from shimano xt/xtr. No regrets.

RDY

by RDY

RDY wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:38 pm
tepextate wrote:
All ATAC cleat based pedals are very easy to enter and exit. Not sure where you got that from.

I have a pair of Cyclos. Never had any issue clipping or unclipping.
Well this didn't last.

Bought a new pair of Cyclo 6s for new gravel rig.

First shakedown ride wearing shoes with cleats ... failure.

They hang upside down and and are difficult to chase round (as others reported). Other pair did not do this.

Left pedal on my first entry attempt the retention foil or what ever one might call it got kicked down without the cleat engaging. Went for ride anyway. 4th time clipping in on right pedal (well - attempt), the same thing happened.

Never had this happen on the other pair, and no idea how to reset them (no hope of clipping in).

See link for pics of how mine ended up and how it should be.

Can anyone help?

https://imgur.com/a/hTJ11jj

Thinking about it now, surely this design is prone to doing this (maybe I was just lucky it didn't before?) ... or is something wrong with this pair?

Edit: I now see this appears to be an endemic issue with the pedal. No-one notes exactly how you're supposed to open them (with pliers). Any guidance?

RDY

by RDY

Released the right one by stamping down really hard on the pedal with brakes on, which engaged the cleat,and I was then able to disengage.

Left pedal, no chance. Cleat isn't even getting close to engaging. It's totally solid. If push any harder I'll slip and put the toe of the shoe through the fork.

So how are people releasing it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DDX

by DDX

I really needed pliers for this (and even then it is not easy)
No way I could get in with shoes, tried really stamping hard.
Gave up with them as posted and went back to spd.