2020 Trek Domane SL Gravel build - updated with photos 07/09

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Updated photo 6/18

Glam pic

In action

Original post:

Well, thankfully this won't be my roadbike.

After much debate with my inner demons for months, I've decided on a bike that will fit my "needs" (wants). I couldn't replace my current roadbike as I don't see any faults with it. I considered true gravel frames however, I didn't want to steer too far away from road geometry.

Enter, the Domane SL5. I knew the downtube compartment would cost some weight increase but it all made sense to me.

Anyway, enough of the chatter. I still don't have access to a legit scale for the frame, but I've done a weight scale - body weight and it's approximately that weight as of today. I will be updating the spreadsheet as more parts come in - I haven't received the wheelset from EIE

Goal is 8KG (ouch), but I think I'll be over this mark. More like 8.5KG without going way over budget. Perhaps a hub upgrade in the future to save more weight but I tend to not fiddle too much with my set up once finalized.

UPDATED WEIGHTS 07/09
Last edited by g32ecs on Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

8kg, eh? When you get wheels and tires, might I suggest helium instead of air? :P

g32ecs

by g32ecs

LOL

We'll see. I think Im going to land at 8.5KG best case scenario. I could lose some weight on the tires but I have to see my clearance (I honestly dont wanna have to go through the process of buying stuff again).

Hoping the wheelset turns out lighter than expected

lerico

by lerico

I have a 2020 Domane SL5 50cm with a set of Fulcrum Wind 40 wheels (~1600g). It hits the scale at around 9.2kg with pedals.

Would love to follow your footsteps and loss some weight on mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

g32ecs

by g32ecs

lerico wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:32 pm
I have a 2020 Domane SL5 50cm with a set of Fulcrum Wind 40 wheels (~1600g). It hits the scale at around 9.2kg with pedals.

Would love to follow your footsteps and loss some weight on mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sure, stay tuned!

Just got some delay news on my wheelset - they're not scheduled to ship until 6/29 because of a holiday (These Chinese holidays are aplenty!)

Welp, I dont think I'll be posting any updates until 2nd wk of July.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Update:

Wheels are coming. According to the image they sent me it's 1425g on a ParkTool scale

I also got some Robert Axle Project TAs which weighed in at 71g I think

Will update my spreadsheet later, but Im up 8018g without cages and cables/wires which tbh is surprisingly still on the light end of gravel bikes.

jemima

by jemima

g32ecs wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:56 pm
LOL

...I could lose some weight on the tires but I have to see my clearance

There's a recent thread on BikeForums showing a carbon Domane with small knob 40mm. Pics showing clearance.
Curve Grovel ti.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

jemima wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:41 pm
g32ecs wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:56 pm
LOL

...I could lose some weight on the tires but I have to see my clearance

There's a recent thread on BikeForums showing a carbon Domane with small knob 40mm. Pics showing clearance.
Hey there

Yes I think it should clear a 40-42, the problem lies with my FD. It's the 1st gen eTap which notoriously hit the battery of the rear tires. I believe this was improved with the AXS groups where they moved it further from the tire (it's still the same battery)

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

The weight will quickly reduced as lumps fall off the cassette. Seriously, get something else and take a weight penalty, they're junk.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Steve Curtis wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:40 pm
The weight will quickly reduced as lumps fall off the cassette. Seriously, get something else and take a weight penalty, they're junk.
Im listening.

I actually have an 11-25 cassette here. Ive been having conversations with someone who does a gravel ride in my area daily and said a compact and a 25-28t is just optimal.

We'll see, it's the least of my worries at the moment. That wheelset better show up next week 🙂

g32ecs

by g32ecs

I have everything now and it's off to my mechanic tomorrow. Only thing that's not here are my cages but I can use my spare ones for now.

Surprisingly the wheelset came in under expected weight at 1431g though the PRO stem was a stout 153g so it evened it out. I bought an Uno stem just in case this Pro one doesnt work and I should be able to take 40g back

I think Im currently sitting at 8.1kg ish at the moment. Hoping to land 8.3kg as the final weight (how much does the sealant and cable housings weigh anyway?)

g32ecs

by g32ecs

updated weights and photos

dropped it off today. Waiting for my mechanic's word on the tires if they fit the frame without hitting the FD battery. crossing my fingers here

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

g32ecs wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:56 pm

dropped it off today. Waiting for my mechanic's word on the tires if they fit the frame without hitting the FD battery. crossing my fingers here
Interested to see how you've got on with this. Any pictures?

Picked up a Domane SLR last week and loving it so far!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:53 pm
g32ecs wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:56 pm

Interested to see how you've got on with this. Any pictures?

Picked up a Domane SLR last week and loving it so far!
Hey I just saw this. Congratulations on your SLR

I updated the cassette to a Dura Ace 11-28 but that's about it. I'll try to post pictures at the top, just give me some time. I believe this still tips the scale at 8.5KGs

One thing I did notice though is that Im only off by 1-2kmh from my road bike using this. My road bike is a Felt AR which is an aero bike and I am floored on how this performs. Ive been using it on strictly paved rides and I dont miss my road bike one bit despite the 35mm tires.

Im seriously thinking of selling my road bike now and just get a extra wheelset. Use the other funds to start saving on a Bastion frame which is my dream frame 😀