1x Campagnolo Ekar drivetrain

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Miller wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:05 pm
bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:00 am
There should be a n3w conversion kit to convert older hubs.
Speaking of hubs, do you have any plans to offer an N3W cassette carrier for your Borg hubs? Does Miche have plans to provide an N3W conversion for their hubs?
Ordered 10. Delivery in january. Ill order alot more if there is demand.

Miller

by Miller

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:23 pm
Miller wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:05 pm
bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:00 am
There should be a n3w conversion kit to convert older hubs.
Speaking of hubs, do you have any plans to offer an N3W cassette carrier for your Borg hubs? Does Miche have plans to provide an N3W conversion for their hubs?
Ordered 10. Delivery in january. Ill order alot more if there is demand.
I'll buy one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Any news from chainrings manufacturers yet on compatible rings for power meters?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

Nefarious86 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:22 pm
Any news from chainrings manufacturers yet on compatible rings for power meters?

Agreed. Primarily waiting on this and freehub bodies from people like DT and White Industries.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I think the Free hubs will be much easier to find short term.

Using Tapatalk

eins4eins

by eins4eins

DT Swiss told me the N3W will be available mid of december.

But i'm also waiting for chainrings. I bought an Ekar chain and tried it on different chainrings. Didn't fit on anything narrow wide. Neither 12 nor 11 speed. Best fit is with standard 11 speed rings. I'm gonna mount the chain on a otherwise complete 11 speed shimano di2 drivetrain later on.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Miche intend to make a ekar compatible chainring.

A clutched mech is not enough to hold a chain. A narrow wide chain ring and a non clutched mech is enough for road. With a clutched mech it good for light off road. With a clutched mech alone the chain can drop off anytime as the teeth on modern double chairings are short especially on shimano rings. I tried this with shimano 10 speed 1x and a xtr clutched rd and a xtr 40t chainring. The chain dropped alot.

Hense i discounted this a viable way of getting a rim brake ekar setup working. So i will wait for miche to release there chainring.

Or use a chainring with tall teeth and almost no shifting ramps. That might work but there might be issues as the chainring and chain wears.

morrisond

by morrisond

bm0p700f wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:13 am
Miche intend to make a ekar compatible chainring.

A clutched mech is not enough to hold a chain. A narrow wide chain ring and a non clutched mech is enough for road. With a clutched mech it good for light off road. With a clutched mech alone the chain can drop off anytime as the teeth on modern double chairings are short especially on shimano rings. I tried this with shimano 10 speed 1x and a xtr clutched rd and a xtr 40t chainring. The chain dropped alot.

Hense i discounted this a viable way of getting a rim brake ekar setup working. So i will wait for miche to release there chainring.

Or use a chainring with tall teeth and almost no shifting ramps. That might work but there might be issues as the chainring and chain wears.
Why not use EKAR RD with EKAR Crank - and then just put the guts of an EKAR shifter into an Chorus/Record Mech shifter body? Or have you discovered this does not work?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It would work but not on my look 795 which needs the zed3 crank. I run that 1x. Hense i need a ekar 110 bcd chainring.

The chainline for ekar is best for disc brake spaced frames. On road bikes the chainline is unchanged and more chain and cassette wear will result as well as more noise.

morrisond

by morrisond

bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:23 am
It would work but not on my look 795 which needs the zed3 crank. I run that 1x. Hense i need a ekar 110 bcd chainring.

The chainline for ekar is best for disc brake spaced frames. On road bikes the chainline is unchanged and more chain and cassette wear will result as well as more noise.
It would work as in you know the EKAR guts will fit inside a 12S mech shifter?

That 1mm difference really makes a difference? However as the bike I'm building would have 430-435mm it should be okay?

Thanks

pritish8287

by pritish8287

Hello.
Has anyone built a bike with the new drivetrain? Any first hand experiences? Please do share or point me to the right forum /section. I am looking to build a new gravel bike with ekar drivetrain. Cheers

g00se

by g00se

Interesting new patent from Campag on weight reducing chainrings. The thing is the very detailed chainring in the diagrams has 32 teeth:

https://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat10859149.pdf

And to quote:
The number of teeth of the toothed crown of the present invention is preferably comprised between 28 and 44, the extreme values being included.

In preferred embodiments of the invention, the toothed crown has for example 32 or 34 teeth.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

That looks a lot like a mountain bike crank?!!!
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

XCProMD

by XCProMD

pritish8287 wrote:Hello.
Has anyone built a bike with the new drivetrain? Any first hand experiences? Please do share or point me to the right forum /section. I am looking to build a new gravel bike with ekar drivetrain. Cheers
I have. It is so good that I will migrate my 3 MTB to Ekar next year. I will modify an Ekar Ergopower to make the flatbar shifter.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

XCProMD

by XCProMD

gwerziou wrote:That looks a lot like a mountain bike crank?!!!
That was one of the possible designs for Ekar, but was discarded.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com