1x Campagnolo Ekar drivetrain

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bobrayner

by bobrayner

andreszucs wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:45 pm
gwerziou wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:28 pm
I have zero interest in Xshifter, but the proposed use of a flat-top chain on Ekar is intriguing. I have read elsewhere that an AXS chain will most definitely not work for Ekar... But is that true? Will an AXS flat-top chain work on an otherwise stock Ekar drivetrain? If so, does it work well, or skip? Excessive drivetrain wear?
I tried showing in the video (post right above) that shifting is very smooth and ramps well between cogs. Since I never tried the AXS chain with the rest of the EKAR mechanical components, I can't speak for that. The question is: Since the AXS chain is slightly thicker compared to the EKAR chain, would it compromise precision between cogs and maybe accidental skips if used with the mechanical Campy shifters? with the Xshifter, I can micro adjust the position on top of each cog ensuring precision all across the cassette.

The only reason they say the AXS chain won't work with EKAR might be because the upper pulley on the Ekar RD is narrow wide or the teeth are not recessed enough to give room for the Flat top chaing plates, it just needs to be replaced by a standard pulley.
It looks like a good option for people who want an Ekar groupset but don't want to use an Ekar chainring or an Ekar chain or Ekar shifters, and only want 12 gears. Those criteria might exclude many Ekar buyers.

Personally, the only change I want to make to my Ekar bike is a good oval chainring. Working on that... there may be a solution later in July. I will report back to the group. :-)
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurperg

by eurperg

Is it possible to use a Rotor 13-speed cassette with Ekar?

I have several wheelset that I can’t convert to N3W, like NoTubes Crest MTB wheelset. Rotor cassettes are also lighter.

Ekar cassette spacing is 3.35mm, but I can’t find the specs for Rotor…

gwerziou

by gwerziou

I had the impression that the 13 speed Rotor cassettes require a special Rotor-made rear hub.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

bobrayner

by bobrayner

Bad news; there still doesn't appear to be an oval Ekar-compatible chainring on the market.
(I thought there was a possible supplier, we got as far as a sample for fit-testing, but it hasn't worked out yet. Maybe soon...)

Meanwhile, I'm warming to the normal Campagnolo 38T ring. I'm using it with the 10-44 cassette and that range is perfect for the steep hills and rough trails in my area.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

bobrayner wrote:Bad news; there still doesn't appear to be an oval Ekar-compatible chainring on the market.
(I thought there was a possible supplier, we got as far as a sample for fit-testing, but it hasn't worked out yet. Maybe soon...)

Meanwhile, I'm warming to the normal Campagnolo 38T ring. I'm using it with the 10-44 cassette and that range is perfect for the steep hills and rough trails in my area.
Just get a SRAM flat top chain. It’s working perfectly for me with the Xshifter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gwerziou

by gwerziou

I'm hoping that Spécialités TA will step up.

pritish8287

by pritish8287

Ww…
I have ekar brake question. My front brake lever travel is more than the rear. The brake “honks” when lever is pulled. There is no mushiness in the lever but it doesn’t grab the rotor tightly. What could be the issue?
I have bled the brakes thrice, after every bleed, I have made sure to clean rotor with alcohol. I even polished the brake pads. On my first ride, I bedded them to best abilities. Still not sure why I am having this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Do you mean to say that you have to pull your front lever in more than the rear to get it to brake?

pritish8287

by pritish8287

gwerziou wrote:Do you mean to say that you have to pull your front lever in more than the rear to get it to brake?
Yes

bobrayner

by bobrayner

andreszucs wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:34 pm
bobrayner wrote:Bad news; there still doesn't appear to be an oval Ekar-compatible chainring on the market.

Yes, you mentioned it before. However, I'm not sure that replacing half the groupset (and worrying about longer-term reliability and compatibility) is necessarily the best way to get an oval chainring. If it works for you, good for you.

Charging my computer and my pedals is a chore that detracts from the simplicity of cycling, but if I forget to do it, I can still enjoy a long ride. On the other hand, if you forget to charge your gears...

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

We're all different but I charge my EPS11 every few months. I'm certain there are many that can get by charging twice a year. If that is an issue, then it's not with the electric shifting.

I can see if it's a daily issue like, front/rear lights, cycle computers, pedals, etc.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

pritish8287 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:40 am
gwerziou wrote:Do you mean to say that you have to pull your front lever in more than the rear to get it to brake?
Yes
There is a lever throw adjustment for each lever, at least on the top road shifters. Perhaps the throw setting is different on your front? My other thought is that maybe the front needs more brake fluid?
This video might be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0_IrSDMG-I

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

bobrayner wrote:
andreszucs wrote:

Yes, you mentioned it before. However, I'm not sure that replacing half the groupset (and worrying about longer-term reliability and compatibility) is necessarily the best way to get an oval chainring. If it works for you, good for you.

Charging my computer and my pedals is a chore that detracts from the simplicity of cycling, but if I forget to do it, I can still enjoy a long ride. On the other hand, if you forget to charge your gears...
Doesn’t mean it needs to be electronic necessarily. I’d like to see someone testing swapping the chain by a SRAM Flat top (plus upper pulley by non narrow wide to accommodate the flat top) over the current mechanical Ekar and check the shifting qualify.

The are no reasons for longevity issues since the distance between links is identical.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

andreszucs wrote:
bobrayner wrote:
andreszucs wrote:

Doesn’t mean it needs to be electronic necessarily. I’d like to see someone testing swapping the chain by a SRAM Flat top (plus upper pulley by non narrow wide to accommodate the flat top) over the current mechanical Ekar and check the shifting qualify.

The are no reasons for longevity issues since the distance between links is identical.

Aside from different roller size, albeit small, Ekar is 13 speed and Sram is 12 speed. What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited by ultimobici on Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pritish8287

by pritish8287

gwerziou wrote:
pritish8287 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:40 am
Yes
There is a lever throw adjustment for each lever, at least on the top road shifters. Perhaps the throw setting is different on your front? My other thought is that maybe the front needs more brake fluid?
This video might be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0_IrSDMG-I
Thanks. Not sure if ekar has stroke adjustment screw. Couldn’t find it in the instructions manual.