1x Campagnolo Ekar drivetrain

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

pritish8287

by pritish8287

XCProMD wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:43 pm
pritish8287 wrote:Hello.
Has anyone built a bike with the new drivetrain? Any first hand experiences? Please do share or point me to the right forum /section. I am looking to build a new gravel bike with ekar drivetrain. Cheers
I have. It is so good that I will migrate my 3 MTB to Ekar next year. I will modify an Ekar Ergopower to make the flatbar shifter.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Details on the bike please? Frame, wheels et al.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XCProMD

by XCProMD

It’s a Grail SL and the wheels are Shamals. Very satisfied with this bike.

pritish8287

by pritish8287

XCProMD wrote:It’s a Grail SL and the wheels are Shamals. Very satisfied with this bike.

Cool. Any issues while assembling the pre-bled brake lines? Any tricks / tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I cut the hoses and bled the brakes after assembling the bike, reason being this frame had originally a GRX I never made friends with, and I’m very picky with the hose length. Being the groupset an aftermarket affair, those didn’t quite fit as I’d like them.

I just follow Campag’s instructions when bleeding, I don’t do nothing worth mentioning beyond what’s on their videos.

The groupset is a gem.

bobrayner

by bobrayner

ultimobici wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:19 am
RDY wrote:Think I'm going to go for Ekar Chainset and BB (with larger 46 or 48T ring) with new gravel build next month.

Is there likely to be any issue with chain line if I go Ultegra or DA casette and rear mech? It's going to be 85% road and 15% light gravel in flat as a pancake NL.
Good luck finding a chainring. Why the Ekar chainset?

I am sure that many aftermarket chainrings will become available, as they are for other groupsets - technically, a chainring isn't the hardest part to make - but SRAM have some key patents around narrow-wide chainring teeth, and manufacturers will have to work around that (Campagnolo have already done it, of course).

However, mixing Ekar upfront with Shimano cassette & mech seems like an unusual choice. Maybe there will be aftermarket Ekar-compatible cassettes soon? It's sad that TA stopped making their Podium cassettes.

Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Not so sure about manufacturers producing Ekar compatible chainrings any time soon. I asked AB, Wolftooth and Garbaruk if or when chainrings will be available and all said, they're currently not planning to offer anything for Ekar.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Can anyone comment on the chain length when using a 38T vs a 42T chainring? My bike arrived at shop and I had a request it NOT be built because I am changing handlebars and front ring from 38T to 42T... so anyways, of course, someone built the bike...I got the new 3TT aeroghiaia bars with internal routing.. so now I have to redo the whole brake setup from scratch to route the cables internally.. and Supacaz bartape was installed.. so gotta rip off a $40 roll of bartape and hope I can salvage it...
I understand with Ekar you size the chain now without running through the derailleur and size it running it around the largest cog and chainring and add 4 links..
I guess the only way to test the current chainlength is gonna be to wrap the newone and start counting links compared to the other one...
Thanks

bobrayner

by bobrayner

eins4eins wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:55 pm
Not so sure about manufacturers producing Ekar compatible chainrings any time soon. I asked AB, Wolftooth and Garbaruk if or when chainrings will be available and all said, they're currently not planning to offer anything for Ekar.
Abolute Black have given a slightly less pessimistic message - they implied to me that they are going to make (oval) Ekar-compatible chainrings but there was no specific date.

I admit that's not helpful to anybody who's working on a bike now, but in the longer term it would be good to have a broader ecosystem of third-party parts and tweaks for Ekar, like other groupsets have. For me the main worry at the moment is the wheels - it would be good to see more N3W options on the market in 2021.
ParisCarbon wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:56 pm
I guess the only way to test the current chainlength is gonna be to wrap the newone and start counting links compared to the other one...
Assuming your old chain hasn't stretched too much :-)

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

bobrayner wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:26 am
eins4eins wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:55 pm
Abolute Black have given a slightly less pessimistic message - they implied to me that they are going to make (oval) Ekar-compatible chainrings but there was no specific date.

I admit that's not helpful to anybody who's working on a bike now, but in the longer term it would be good to have a broader ecosystem of third-party parts and tweaks for Ekar, like other groupsets have. For me the main worry at the moment is the wheels - it would be good to see more N3W options on the market in 2021.
ParisCarbon wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:56 pm
Assuming your old chain hasn't stretched too much :-)
Brand new... told shop NOT to build it, and they did, already told the mechanic he might as well stop building it because its basically coming apart, its in so far now he might as well just bleed the brakes and have done with it..
So essentially now I have to redo the brakes because cables are internal on my 3T bars... so I need olives, end pieces, and hydro fluid as I assume I won't be able to salvage all of it..
Bars are 42 vs 44, cable length should be OK pending how they cut them, and where I want my levers positioned
New handlebar tape.. came with Supacaz, hopefully I can salvage it
Chainging to 42T ring...possibly need new chain

Now Ive gotta start sourcing parts I wouldnt have had too...

fbonde

by fbonde

Any left arm power meter yet?
insta: @fbonde

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

fbonde wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:13 pm
I had emailed stages a while ago, was told no plans.. but I doubt they are going to tell a guy off the street what the plan is.. would be crazy to not do it.. I settled on SRM X Power dual pedals... the times I used them outside on gravel on my CX bike they were excellent.I tested them againt my SRM crank and Neo, and they track very well...

fbonde

by fbonde

ParisCarbon wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:15 pm
fbonde wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:13 pm
I had emailed stages a while ago, was told no plans.. but I doubt they are going to tell a guy off the street what the plan is.. would be crazy to not do it.. I settled on SRM X Power dual pedals... the times I used them outside on gravel on my CX bike they were excellent.I tested them againt my SRM crank and Neo, and they track very well...

I'll do the same. I have SRM origin on my other bikes. very happy with them.
insta: @fbonde

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

Be interested in some opinions of this as a road group. A 42T chainring and 9-36 for general riding and 9-42 for lots of steep climbing sound great. Anyone run it on a road bike?

bobrayner

by bobrayner

cunn1n9 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:35 am
Be interested in some opinions of this as a road group. A 42T chainring and 9-36 for general riding and 9-42 for lots of steep climbing sound great. Anyone run it on a road bike?
3t Strada? If you can find Ekar anywhere, it's on the dedicated 1x roadbike...

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

bobrayner wrote:
cunn1n9 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:35 am
3t Strada? If you can find Ekar anywhere, it's on the dedicated 1x roadbike...
Was wondering if anyone has used it on the road and what their thoughts were from experience. Keep hearing that 9,10 tooth cogs are too inefficient but interested in real world experience if that is true or not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com