1x Campagnolo Ekar drivetrain

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

Anyone have creaking issues with the cassette in the middle cogs?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LoK3PRyZPpUPS3PPA

I'm hoping it is due to insufficient torque of the lock ring but I was only able to get 3 clicks of additional torque into the lock ring before it became very difficult (yes, I own several torque wrenches and I should probably use one but I've always done the lock ring gutentight as the Germans say).

Also, I'm disappointed to see rust on the lock ring after washing my bike 1x.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurperg

by eurperg

I have had the creaking several times after washing the bike. I think it comes from between the smallest cog set / lockring and the main cassette. Detergents with surfactants let the grimy water enter from the seam between these parts, and then the creaking begins. Cleaning and greasing has always solved it.

Cattie

by Cattie

Any news on a aftermarket chainring for a Quarq DZero.

Even more important would be a Thread Fit bottom bracket vor BB86 for muy new Canyon Grizl. I did not found anything.

RyanH

by RyanH

Wolf Tooth works most of the time without modification, but if it needs to be modified, it only takes 5 minutes with a file.

Cattie

by Cattie

RyanH wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:44 pm
Wolf Tooth works most of the time without modification, but if it needs to be modified, it only takes 5 minutes with a file.
Their 12 Speed for Shimano for SRAM Flattop Chains? Anyway its good news.

Only the ThreadFit BB vom Token left ;)

RyanH

by RyanH

Where can I get full length Campy maximum smoothness housing? I have a few shifting niggles that I'm hoping are due to the Jagwire housing I'm using. The larger cogs can be slow to shift and in some cases, it won't shift at all to the largest cog.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

RyanH wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:41 pm
Where can I get full length Campy maximum smoothness housing? I have a few shifting niggles that I'm hoping are due to the Jagwire housing I'm using. The larger cogs can be slow to shift and in some cases, it won't shift at all to the largest cog.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167715

It looks more like tight bends and/or not precisely cut cable outers though. I'm yet to build a bike with Ekar, but I have Jagwire lex-sl outers on one bike and Campagnolo Maximum Smoothness on the other one and they do not differ that much. I planned to use Jagwire or Campy 11s outers.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

Lina

by Lina

RyanH wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:07 am
I spent this week riding Ekar on the road and I must say, 1x13 with a 44T (9-36) is pretty close to being suitable for road riding. I did a fast (30mph) group ride yesterday and the gearing was spot on for that and today I sucked wheel behind our local retired pro PG for a handful of minutes before I blew up but I'm most picky about gearing when doing 400w on a low grade incline and found that I was able to get my cadence right where I wanted it. It's basically like having 53/34 and 11-28 which is pretty cool. So far this week, the only time I've really noticed the jumps was when I was riding up a 10% grade with tonytourist up to the Hollywood sign and I was inbetween gears at the pace we were doing near the top of the cassette.

I don't have much feedback on the 9t though as I did admittedly get dropped yesterday but that was more of a me problem (I felt pretty off the day before) coupled with my awesome tubeless tires going down to 20 PSI mid ride and my poor decision to keep the wind breaker on. Frankly, I didn't notice it and we were definitely at a pace that I was using it (>30mph).
How do you like the shifting without Ultra-Shift on the road? I've been playing with the idea of putting Ekar to a road bike. However having to give up Ultra-Shift has put me off from trying it so far. I understand why they've done it with Ekar for gravel use to eliminate potential misshifts but I'm not sure I'd want to give it up on the road.

RyanH

by RyanH

It's a feature I miss and would like to have back but with all things in life, you get used to it and work around it. It does take a couple extra seconds to dump a few gears since the throw is relatively long compared to electronic shifting (eTap) or road Campy.

On the plus side, the goofy looking lever is great on the road. I don't like how it looks at all but shifting in the drops is significantly easier.

Lina

by Lina

I guess I'll just wait for the next iteration of Campy road and hope they make a road version of Ekar.

bobrayner

by bobrayner

Lina wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:57 pm
I guess I'll just wait for the next iteration of Campy road and hope they make a road version of Ekar.
One of Campagnolo's few tech advantages in recent years is that they've always been quick to add an extra sprocket to cassettes. Right now Campagnolo are finding it hard to keep up with the competition, but one advantage they have is they've started producing new designs of chain and sprockets and freehub &c to allow 13-speed cassettes... it would be insane not to use that engineering in a road groupset. Campag have even got 3rd parties on board, ie wheel/hub brands. A 26-speed road groupset would sell well. If Campagnolo can't even do that, what's their future market share?
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

usr

by usr

Isn't part of that "room for 13" that the cassette reaches into the slope of the DS spokes so that they couldn't even make one smaller than 36? That would be somewhat limiting for a road group unless they'd do it 1x too. Or unless they'd combine it with a return of Big Chainrings, which would certainly keep internet discussion boards alive for quite some time ("the antiaxs has come"). Would a 12 smallest even fit with chainstays? Ekar cassette spacing might be a compromise sacrificing size choice on both ends (a hypothetical13:25 joke cassette would most certainly not fit any frames and wheels)

Lina

by Lina

Yeah I don't see any point in 2x13. If you're cramming that many cogs into a cassette just commit to it and go 1x only. If you can't find enough gears in 2x12 adding one more cog won't help you.

robertbb

by robertbb

To make a road groupset properly viable (i.e. to give the same range as a modern 2x with sensible steps) it really needs to be 1x14.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lina

by Lina

You really don't, but if Campy also thinks so they can release 2x13 on top of the 1x. And they kinda have to because a lot of people think like that. But make no mistake with 13 cogs majority of the groupsets will be 1x, and that's what they will mostly market. The 2x options will stay available for people that still want them. Much like rim brakes during the transition to disc brakes.