1x Campagnolo Ekar drivetrain

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

hectorz

by hectorz

kervelo wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:44 am
C-bear also has a BB for PF30 and Campagnolo cranks.
https://www.c-bear.com/en
So far they only make cups and bearings for ultra torque not for pro-tech (ekar):
https://www.c-bear.com/en/products/bott ... tra-torque
I'm not 100% sure if they are fully compatible. Anyway, they will have exactly the same problem as campagnolo's, they are just press fit, not thread-on like Wheels manufacturing's or praxis's :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobrayner

by bobrayner

hectorz wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:22 pm
bobrayner wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:55 pm
It would need some clever CNC, and the aftermarket chainring makers who have clever CNC aren't yet making Ekar chainrings. (I worked with one who gave it a try, but couldn't get the tooth dimensions right)
BS
What's BS? If you can find some good aftermarket maker of Ekar-compatible chainrings, share a link; some people on this forum are keen to buy one. (Or if filing the teeth off non-Ekar chainrings is quick and easy, you could make a nice profit).

Personally, I'd love to buy an oval Ekar chainring. Some other folk on this board have raised concerns about 3T's claims that Torno is Ekar-compatible.
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

kervelo

by kervelo

hectorz wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:20 am
Anyway, they will have exactly the same problem as campagnolo's, they are just press fit, not thread-on like Wheels manufacturing's or praxis's :(
Not all press fit BBs are created equal. :smartass:

Both Campy and c-bear BBs are well made aluminium components and once installed properly, they work very well. I have had no creaking or other issues with either of them.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

You have to remember that Ekar uses a pro-tech, not an ultra-torque, bottom bracket and they are not compatible. I am not aware that anyone is offering aftermarket pro-tech BBs as of yet?
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Protech is just some extra seals and a plastic tube in-between the cups, normal UT BBs will work fine, just not as well sealed
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

gwerziou

by gwerziou

bikewithnoname wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:12 am
Protech is just some extra seals and a plastic tube in-between the cups, normal UT BBs will work fine, just not as well sealed
That is so cool if true - have you successfully done this yourself? I ask because the rest of the world claims otherwise.

Attermann

by Attermann

hectorz wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:16 am
gwerziou wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:35 pm
I saw a post on some cycling site about a handmade bike with an Ekar groupset a while back that used a Garbaruk chainring on an Easton crank, I think it was. I contacted Garbaruk in some excitement since I have an unused Easton crank in my garage, and they replied that no, they are not making an Ekar chainring, that the guy had hand-filed one of their chainrings to fit.
see? it can't be that difficult..
I have two shattered garbageruk chainrings, I might give it a try. Nobody has ekar? Please measure the teeth for us! I couldn't find it anywhere...

For me the problem is not the minimum chainring (I currently use a 44t with 10-42 11s sram cassette), is that my frame (SC Stigmata '19) is PF30.
I beleive Campagnolo's design is great for BSA but it is not going to perform very well on PF30.

I've been using a Wheels Manufacturing thread-on bb and it's been a breeze so far but they don't have one for Campagnolo (I asked and they said they aren't going to make it).
I'm not a fan of the sleeve solution (PF30 to BSA adapter).

The last hope is Praxis, they already HAD one for ultratorque:
But it has disappeared from their website...

Italians are awesome at marketing and... patents! :(
https://r2-bike.com/PRAXIS-WORKS-bottom ... road-crank

they are still available

gwerziou

by gwerziou

hectorz

by hectorz

I sent an email to Ratio, they are making a 38t 5bolt 110BCD chainring compatible with Ekar https://ratiotechnology.com/product/rat ... t-110-bcd/, and they said that they will release smaller size chainrings soon and after spring (in UK) they will probably release other chainrings, bigger sizes or other patterns (4bolts, direct mount...).
For 8bolts sram cranks they sent me this link for a spider compatible with their chainring: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000548926438.html

About manually filing down the teeth they said they did their early testing modifying chainrings and the thickness of the narrow/wide teeth must be: 1.60/3.25 mm with a little bit of leeway on the narrow teeth that are the most difficult ones to file down. So it's not only technically possible, they have already done it. They probably have proper machining tools though... but we have ingenuity.

I just measured my wolftooth chainring theeth and they are 1.8mm and 3.4mm (aprox... my caliper is quite crappy)
I reckon filling down the thick ones is just a matter of two or 2-3 strokes with a fine file per side on each tooth, about the thin ones it will be a little bit more complicated and it will involve a dremel and some kind of fixture...

Marin

by Marin

Or get 2 chains and just run the 1st one with a 12s ring and lots of sand in the drivetrain until it fits :D

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Much of the problem with press fit standard is not the bb cups but the bb shell. All shells really need facing and reaming before the cups go in.

Mike1

by Mike1

Hey guys, so I just got the ratio ring and have set it up on a power2max with Easton EC90sl cranks. Works perfectly with my Ekar group on the Open U.P.
Has saved me a bit of weight too, the bike now weighs 7.4kg as pictured with pedals, cages, mounts.
Here's some pictures -
https://imgur.com/a/IHjRVnn
Factor Ostro VAM - 6.67kg
Open U.P w/ Ekar - 7.2kg
Canyon Ultimate EVO Disc - 6.17kg (retired)

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I finally got to ride an eKar equipped bike. Have to say the cassette spacing is great for what I intend to use it for, but my god the gear shift is agricultural!

I'm used to 11 and 12spd campag mechanical feel, but this is another level of "Clunk"

For those that have eKar is this something that smooths out a bit with use? It's not a deal breaker, just a bit of a surprise
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

bikewithnoname wrote:I finally got to ride an eKar equipped bike. Have to say the cassette spacing is great for what I intend to use it for, but my god the gear shift is agricultural!

I'm used to 11 and 12spd campag mechanical feel, but this is another level of "Clunk"

For those that have eKar is this something that smooths out a bit with use? It's not a deal breaker, just a bit of a surprise
Image, ‘agricultural’ Image, perfect word for it! …….and people here prefer to hate me when I suggest using the wireless x-shifter to fix all the problems….keep enjoying your agricultural system Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurperg

by eurperg

On my bikes there is really no difference in shifting feel between Ekar and several 11-speed Record and Chorus groups.