1x Campagnolo Ekar drivetrain

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

Just got the Wolf Tooth in and the chain when onto the rings fine enough. I don't have wheels yet so I can't test it fully but this is definitely close enough that any problem spot will only need minimal material removed I think.

henryz4

by henryz4

Just jumping in for a quick question about EKAR brakes:
just noticed some movement back and forth on both front and rear wheel. From a closer look it seemed that the pads are haveing a little play into the caliper.
Have someone else noticed it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1llum4

by 1llum4

Depending on the tolerance of your exact caliper and pads many brands can do that. My 1st gen Super Record 12s gen does it. My TRP DHR-EVO does it and I have seen many shimano 4 pistons MTB brake do it. Only felt it when in the workstand never on the road or in the trail but sometime can be heard in the trail (on my trp brakes).

henryz4

by henryz4

I felt like the bike moving forward and backward a little even with brak force applied

gwerziou

by gwerziou

I haven't experienced anything like that on any Campy disc brake system - rock solid.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

pritish8287

by pritish8287

henryz4 wrote:Just jumping in for a quick question about EKAR brakes:
just noticed some movement back and forth on both front and rear wheel. From a closer look it seemed that the pads are haveing a little play into the caliper.
Have someone else noticed it?
Could it due to the fact that Ekar pads are held by spring clip and not by magnetised pistons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

henryz4

by henryz4

Might be. I suppose a pad which is tenths smaller than the caliper bed is better for pad retraction and avoid poor rollback.

RDY

by RDY

gorkypl wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:40 pm
That is quite disappointing. In the Cyclingtips article about clutched drivetrains friction, the ideal design is described as having infitinte clutch strength and very little spring tension pulling backwards. Can it be Campagnolo did it wrong?
Possibly ... I recently had the opportunity to ride an Ekar equipped bike for a couple of km on some gravel (briefly swapped bikes with a guy I met out on route). Campag is very rare here, and Ekar .. he probably has one of the only bikes in the country. He seemed very pleased with it, and I liked the hood shapes, shifting feel and thumbs. Brake modulation also felt good. But it did feel really draggy right across the cassette range. There could have been other factors at play, though shifting seemed perfect and the drivetrain was very clean. Probably a combination of the small rings, small cogs, potentially draggy chain, and stiff spring tension.

That was a real disappointment - otherwise it'd tick every other box for me, except wireless. I still think it's the best looking gruppo out there, and Campag appear to have ramped production on it significantly - it's becoming more and more widely available on factory built gravel bikes. Maybe they'll address this in an update, as it really doesn't seem necessary to have so much tension.

RDY

by RDY

andreszucs wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:15 pm
Stopping by again supporting the use of external wireless shifting like archer components or x-shifter + SRAM flat top chain:

Conversations that become irrelevant:

-RD spring tension (motor does the job for you)
-Clunky feel on lever (press of a button instead)
-Chairing limitation (much wider range of rings and cranks available with Sram chain)

Other Benefits

-you can use ANY RD of your liking
-precision shifting all the time.

Good day….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Haven't x-shifter been dead for ages?

Edit: I stand corrected ... https://www.reddit.com/r/cycling/commen ... _aka_paul/

RyanH

by RyanH

My initial shakedown ride and I can't say I noticed Ekar at all, which is a good thing. I think the other components (wheels, tires, frame, etc...) on the bike all add to their perception of whether it's draggy or not. My SuperX with Force 1x felt super "draggy" so to speak but it was mostly the low end kit. It just felt like a slow bike but I'm fairly certain the drive train had little to nothing to do with it.

xixang

by xixang

RyanH wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:16 pm
Just got the Wolf Tooth in and the chain when onto the rings fine enough. I don't have wheels yet so I can't test it fully but this is definitely close enough that any problem spot will only need minimal material removed I think.

I've been running an Ekar bike (Mosaic GT1) for almost a year and I LOVE everything about it. Yeah, N3W drivers are a real B to find like the DT Swiss. I grabbed a set of Deda Trenta2's, then Shamal DB's to have a spare set.

I was building a flat bar gravel bike in spring and was short a wheelset. That bike had XTR 1X11 with Microshoft thumb shifter. For kicks, I tried the Deda Trenta2 wheelset with Ekar 13 speed cassette and with the thumb shifter set to friction, I could hit all 13 on the cassette but of course the chainring was too wide. My Ekar ring is approx 3mm wide tooth and 1.5mm narrow tooth. So I got a cheapy amazon 104bcd ring and did a quick hack on a lathe to mill down ALL teeth since milling every other tooth was too much work for this project. Full honesty, it did drop the chain on really big hits. Totally can be filed down BUT to do it right you'd be filing each tooth individully due to the narrow wide. Assume you saw the ratio 110BCD ring that is the first ekar compatible?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgf14cwpa9v5l ... g.MOV?dl=0

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

xixang wrote:
RyanH wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:16 pm

I've been running an Ekar bike (Mosaic GT1) for almost a year and I LOVE everything about it. Yeah, N3W drivers are a real B to find like the DT Swiss. I grabbed a set of Deda Trenta2's, then Shamal DB's to have a spare set.

I was building a flat bar gravel bike in spring and was short a wheelset. That bike had XTR 1X11 with Microshoft thumb shifter. For kicks, I tried the Deda Trenta2 wheelset with Ekar 13 speed cassette and with the thumb shifter set to friction, I could hit all 13 on the cassette but of course the chainring was too wide. My Ekar ring is approx 3mm wide tooth and 1.5mm narrow tooth. So I got a cheapy amazon 104bcd ring and did a quick hack on a lathe to mill down ALL teeth since milling every other tooth was too much work for this project. Full honesty, it did drop the chain on really big hits. Totally can be filed down BUT to do it right you'd be filing each tooth individully due to the narrow wide. Assume you saw the ratio 110BCD ring that is the first ekar compatible?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgf14cwpa9v5l ... g.MOV?dl=0
Awesome combo of parts! I’m using a FlatTop Sram Chain with the Ekar cassette, working flawlessly for over 1000 miles and going. The sram chain allows for a much wider range of chainrings.

RyanH

by RyanH

andreszucs wrote: Awesome combo of parts! I’m using a FlatTop Sram Chain with the Ekar cassette, working flawlessly for over 1000 miles and going. The sram chain allows for a much wider range of chainrings.

This is misleading and will result in people wasting money. If you're going to keep posting this, you need to qualify it that you are running x-shifter. You yourself said that it was unlikely the sram chain would work if it wasn't for x shifter ability to tune for each cog. So, please be careful about how you word things...

RyanH

by RyanH

In other news, my second Wolf Tooth chainring needed filing on a dozen or so teeth. It wasn't a big deal, took 20 minutes total. You just rotate the crank and look for any spots where the chain won't sit all the way down.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

RyanH wrote:
andreszucs wrote: Awesome combo of parts! I’m using a FlatTop Sram Chain with the Ekar cassette, working flawlessly for over 1000 miles and going. The sram chain allows for a much wider range of chainrings.

This is misleading and will result in people wasting money. If you're going to keep posting this, you need to qualify it that you are running x-shifter. You yourself said that it was unlikely the sram chain would work if it wasn't for x shifter ability to tune for each cog. So, please be careful about how you word things...
Wish I could test it but I don’t have anything other Ekar component but the cassette. Common… $1500 for the entire groupset, I’m sure a $40 test (straight chain swap and upper pulley swap) wouldn’t break the bank to potentially resolve the chainring issue.