1x Campagnolo Ekar drivetrain

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

gwerziou

by gwerziou

From the brand-new issue of Road Bike Action: "Although the word on the streets is that Campy has a 1x system coming down the pike...". Very interesting to me! Has anyone else heard about this? Since I've just about worn out my SRAM mechanical drivetrain by riding right through the winter 3 years in a row, I'm up for something new and I do love nothing more than the feel of Campy shifting and braking. I have seen some patents from them with a new cassette interface with a 10 tooth cog, but nothing else...
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

Pumpster

by Pumpster

1x Campy? Interesting...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Well it's 2020, so it'd better at least be 1x13 and wireless to be worth so much as a slow clap.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Wireless might be a bridge too far when we haven't even seen Shimano tick that box yet.
Definitely sounds interesting though - the Rotor groupset seemed to test pretty well outside of less than ideal hood ergonomics.
Just ride ..

gwerziou

by gwerziou

I was just about to drop for a mechanical 2 x 12 gruppo but I'll hold for off a bit now, as I'm more of an 'all-road' guy who appreciates the utter simplicity of a 1x drivetrain and a clutched derailleur.

JoO

by JoO

itsacarr wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:48 pm
Wireless might be a bridge too far when we haven't even seen Shimano tick that box yet.
Definitely sounds interesting though - the Rotor groupset seemed to test pretty well outside of less than ideal hood ergonomics.
Rotor 13? Hmmmm.. I tried it at a bike show. Very vage shifting. you cant feel the indexing. And the levels are made for giants.
A pitty because I was really intrigued by this hydro setup. (closed system, little maintenance, no batteries to charge)

gorkypl

by gorkypl

As a fan of 2x Campy, riding lots of gravel, I cannot say I'm too excited.
I'd rather see new rd with 11-37 capacity and more 'shadowy' design (current ones are quite prone to breakage in case of fall). 1x was never too appealing, as I could not see any problem with 2x.

Said that, 1x13 might eliminate the need for fd even on the road. Quite interesting.

Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s
Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Here's the link to the patent I mentioned, with a 10 tooth cog: https://patentimages.storage.googleapis ... 2004A1.pdf

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well I have been using1x11record for sometime. Looks like it will be 1x12.

Marin

by Marin

It's 12x in the patent, but most rumors habe been about 13x

Miller

by Miller

Wireless I hope not because it will cost a fortune and if it's a gravel-intended group those fancy components will get coated in mud. A mechanical 1x13 would be excellent if the pricing is not horrendous.

robertbb

by robertbb

Miller wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:38 pm
Wireless I hope not because it will cost a fortune and if it's a gravel-intended group those fancy components will get coated in mud. A mechanical 1x13 would be excellent if the pricing is not horrendous.
Especially if it uses the existing Campy freehub.

corky

by corky

Wireless will not happen until the SRAM patent on batteries on derailleurs runs out. At best you will get wireless controls but the derailleurs have to be powered from a wired battery.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Marin wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:57 am
It's 12x in the patent, but most rumors habe been about 13x
What rumors? I would get a (at least Chorus level) Campy 1 x 13 without a second of hesitation.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

corky wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:51 pm
Wireless will not happen until the SRAM patent on batteries on derailleurs runs out. At best you will get wireless controls but the derailleurs have to be powered from a wired battery.
why can't you get a wireless transmission?? if even Shimano has wireless derailleur patents.........how to carry / fasten the batteries to them is something else

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com