1x Campagnolo Ekar drivetrain

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

kevinw

by kevinw

I read that the Ekar cassette was made up of two blocks - if the smaller half could be bought separately then that would be good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobrayner

by bobrayner

My groupset (on order) has the 10-44 cassette, but I would definitely consider a more closely spaced corncob cassette for flatter/faster rides. That could be 3rd party, or it could be a future Campag road cassette, who knows what will appear on the market in the next 1-2 years?
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

N3W freehub for my Miche made disc brake hubs are due wednesday.

I already have the smaller part of the cassette block on order as spares, both of them as theres two.

Spares supply from campag is painful slow at present.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

This might be interesting to all of you:

https://youtu.be/3HXT0WyIL58

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Great video. I only wish I could understand what they were saying.

pritish8287

by pritish8287

Hi WW,
Does anyone know if the 140-160mm adapters come with the ergo power shifters + caliper box or do we need to buy separately?

EvanT

by EvanT

pritish8287 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:10 am
Hi WW,
Does anyone know if the 140-160mm adapters come with the ergo power shifters + caliper box or do we need to buy separately?
The ergo shifters and calipers do not include any adapters. Campy uses the same 140mm caliper for both front and rear and you need to buy the adapter separately if you want to run 160mm rotors.

pritish8287

by pritish8287

EvanT wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:18 am
pritish8287 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:10 am
Hi WW,
The ergo shifters and calipers do not include any adapters. Campy uses the same 140mm caliper for both front and rear and you need to buy the adapter separately if you want to run 160mm rotors.
Thanks

RDY

by RDY

Are you sure they don't include the adapter with the front caliper? Its weight is listed with the adapter on the Campag site (rear isn't).

EvanT

by EvanT

RDY wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:50 pm
Are you sure they don't include the adapter with the front caliper? Its weight is listed with the adapter on the Campag site (rear isn't).
I just finished building a new gravel bike with an Ekar groupset and the adapter was definitely not included with the front ergo and caliper. I had to order it separately and I was able to get it from Competitive Cyclist.

Edited to add that it's probably shown that way in the catalogue because that adapter is necessary for most, but not all, frames. For instance, the U-Turn fork used with the OPEN UP or UPPER is designed to use a 140mm caliper with thru-bolts to run a 160mm rotor with no adapter. But the Santa Cruz Stigmata that I just built does require the adapter.

RDY

by RDY

Bit strange for them to not include it really.

pritish8287

by pritish8287

Talked to Campagnolo NA tech support and they confirmed adapters aren't included. They also do not include rear mounting screws because the chain stay thickness varies from make to make. They do include front adapter mount screws as it is standard.

On the same call, in inquired about oil. The red oil is now a Campy formula whereas blue is Magura. Slowly and steadily, Campy is going to switch to red oil. They do not recommend mixing them as the formulation is slightly different but more than formulation, they are concerned that mixing blue and red will result in "muddy" color and if you go to LBS for brake related issues, LBS may want to bleed the brakes due to "muddy" color.

@EvanT
How was your expierence with pre-bled hoses? Any tips and tricks to fix the hose to caliper without losing too much oil??

EvanT

by EvanT

pritish8287 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:23 pm
Talked to Campagnolo NA tech support and they confirmed adapters aren't included. They also do not include rear mounting screws because the chain stay thickness varies from make to make. They do include front adapter mount screws as it is standard.

On the same call, in inquired about oil. The red oil is now a Campy formula whereas blue is Magura. Slowly and steadily, Campy is going to switch to red oil. They do not recommend mixing them as the formulation is slightly different but more than formulation, they are concerned that mixing blue and red will result in "muddy" color and if you go to LBS for brake related issues, LBS may want to bleed the brakes due to "muddy" color.

@EvanT
How was your expierence with pre-bled hoses? Any tips and tricks to fix the hose to caliper without losing too much oil??
Regarding the mounting screws, my Ekar groupset did not include any mounting screws, even for the front. The Chorus 12 groupset I built up a few months ago did include mounting screws for the front because it was a 160mm caliper, but Ekar comes with 140mm calipers for both front and rear so screws are not included. The front adapter includes all the screws you need to mount the caliper.

Both times I have built bikes recently with the Campy pre-bled hoses, I still ended up bleeding the brakes. The bleed kit and mineral oil aren't too expensive and it's a quick job. The only frustrating thing was having to get 2 different types of oil because Chorus 12 uses the older blue oil while Ekar uses the new red oil. I bought one of the 50 ml bottles of red oil and barely used any of it to bleed both brakes. I expect that bottle will last a long time.

I have been very happy with the Ekar groupset after the first few rides. It's the same great ergonomics, shifting, and braking performance that you expect from Campy.

pritish8287

by pritish8287

@EvanT
Thanks for the response. Where did you get the red oil? I cannot find it in USA. Maybe I am not looking hard enough. I have almost 1/2 blue bottle left from my last year's Record build and I have the bleed kit.

Not sure why Campy came with the pre-bled hose strategy if we have to bleed regardless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EvanT

by EvanT

pritish8287 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:32 am
@EvanT
Thanks for the response. Where did you get the red oil? I cannot find it in USA. Maybe I am not looking hard enough. I have almost 1/2 blue bottle left from my last year's Record build and I have the bleed kit.

Not sure why Campy came with the pre-bled hose strategy if we have to bleed regardless.
I ordered it from Condor Cycles. Delivery only took a few days.

https://www.condorcycles.com/products/c ... ral-oil-v2