1x Campagnolo Ekar drivetrain

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

eurperg wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:52 pm
On my bikes there is really no difference in shifting feel between Ekar and several 11-speed Record and Chorus groups.
Really? On the bike I tested (a Pina Grevil, not something I'm considering but the only with eKar to test) it required considerabley more force to actuate a gear shift, which I guess is fine for the bumpy application, just not what I'd expected
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurperg

by eurperg

Really. I just compared and Ekar does not require more force to shift than a 11-speed Record group. Both bikes have new cables and the 11-speed bike also has a new lever body. If the lever is stiff, there must be problems with cable routing.

My biggest problem with Ekar is its ridiculously high derailleur cage spring tension, and the additional friction it causes on the drivetrain. I'm thinking of making a custom spring with less tension to change it...

RyanH

by RyanH

Is it possible to pair a left record arm (ie stages) with the Ekar drive side?

eurperg

by eurperg

Yes, if you change the left arm bearing from Pro-Tech to standard. Another option is to use a Record BB cup for the NDS and Ekar Pro-Tech cup for DS.

henryz4

by henryz4

Just giving my two cents after the first 220km with Ekar.
I installed it on an Sworks Roubaix 2020 frame, setup of the shifting part went pretty straightforward even thou I panicked a bit when I paired the wolftooth DROP STOP B 42 front chainring while tuning the derailleur screws and cable tension.
The chain was in fact dropping when on the smallest and largest cog. :shock: :shock:
After some minor work with a file on a couple of teeth that were slightly larger than the others, I lubed the chain properly and not a single drop occourred during the rides.
Shifting is the thing I enjoy the most! Small movement on the finger and the chain is on a larger cog, pushing the "C" gives a great feedback on which cog you put the chain. Coming from a sram double tap I'd say I loved the aesthetics of Sram but I prefer the Ekar feeling.
Brakes: started with "meh" ended with "WOW": Cable connection to caliper was brilliant, no bleed needed! Had some (a lot of) frustration during the first alignement of calipers: no matter what, discs were continiously rubbing.
I decided to go for a 20 min ride to bed the tubeless sealant with headphones on (did not want to bother my self with disc rubbing). As soon as i came back to the garage there was enough space to center the caliper properly without rubbing.. well. 220km with climbs and descent without a single noise from them. And not mentioning the modulation and power which are outstanding as reported in all online reviews of the group.
I hope to keep this group as long as possible because I really like it!

gorkypl

by gorkypl

On the left arm - Ekar has different shape than Chorus or Record. It is straight, as opposed to S-shape of other 12s arms, to accomodate the wider chainstay of gravel bikes. So if Ekar currently fits, it is not a given that Chorus/Record left arm will.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

eurperg

by eurperg

On Ekar cranks, there is seal that extends half way over the bearing, and it will fit Pro-Tech cups only. If you install previous cranks to Pro-Tech cups, the bearing will be unsupported for half of its width because Pro-tech cups have a recess for the seal. Take a look at the blue seal around the bearing:

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Yeah, I checked and edited my answer :) you are 100% right regarding the compatibility.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

Yoln

by Yoln

I guess RyanH question was linked to the use of a Stage/4iiii left record/SR arm. Given your answers it seems like I won't follow that route.

What are the other solutions for Power-Metered Ekar (other than pedal-based and Xcadey/Wolftooth)?
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

hectorz

by hectorz

henryz4 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:03 pm
Just giving my two cents after the first 220km with Ekar.
I installed it on an Sworks Roubaix 2020 frame, setup of the shifting part went pretty straightforward even thou I panicked a bit when I paired the wolftooth DROP STOP B 42 front chainring while tuning the derailleur screws and cable tension.
The chain was in fact dropping when on the smallest and largest cog. :shock: :shock:
After some minor work with a file on a couple of teeth that were slightly larger than the others, I lubed the chain properly and not a single drop occourred during the rides.
Shifting is the thing I enjoy the most! Small movement on the finger and the chain is on a larger cog, pushing the "C" gives a great feedback on which cog you put the chain. Coming from a sram double tap I'd say I loved the aesthetics of Sram but I prefer the Ekar feeling.
Brakes: started with "meh" ended with "WOW": Cable connection to caliper was brilliant, no bleed needed! Had some (a lot of) frustration during the first alignement of calipers: no matter what, discs were continiously rubbing.
I decided to go for a 20 min ride to bed the tubeless sealant with headphones on (did not want to bother my self with disc rubbing). As soon as i came back to the garage there was enough space to center the caliper properly without rubbing.. well. 220km with climbs and descent without a single noise from them. And not mentioning the modulation and power which are outstanding as reported in all online reviews of the group.
I hope to keep this group as long as possible because I really like it!
So the chainring filing works! Did you have to file the narrow or the wide teeth? How did you do it? How did you measure it? Pictures?

henryz4

by henryz4

just a couple of teeth (narrow ones) were impeding the chain from being perfectly round on the chainring.
I watched carefully to find them and with a small file I did small steps until the chain was going through easily.
Applying torque to the transmission made the final tweak.
I made no measures or whatsoever, I avoided the dremel as it is too fast for this job IMHO.

Yoln

by Yoln

Spoke to 4iiii and Stages today.

Stages is Not working on an Ekar solution

4iiii is on it, they are going through "validation" at the moment, but were unable to provide an ETA
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

gwerziou

by gwerziou

My experience with Ekar is relatively limited but it shifted great, pretty much like the record and super record drivetrains I already have. The C down shifter is a real winner. If they made it available separately to add to record etc shifters, I would buy as soon as I saw it.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

RyanH

by RyanH

Dumb question but does anyone think it's possible to run a Campy 12s RD with the Ekar shifters and Cassette? Road RD is 100g lighter and if my intent is minimal off road then I don't need a hardcore overly tensioned RD. I'd think with 1x there should be enough chain wrap capacity to handle the 9-36 Cassette.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

RyanH wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:22 am
Dumb question but does anyone think it's possible to run a Campy 12s RD with the Ekar shifters and Cassette? Road RD is 100g lighter and if my intent is minimal off road then I don't need a hardcore overly tensioned RD. I'd think with 1x there should be enough chain wrap capacity to handle the 9-36 Cassette.
It is absolutely not possible. Maybe in the new year there will be some crossover group or groups announced that might fit your needs.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com