1x Campagnolo Ekar drivetrain

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jdadour

by Jdadour

gorkypl wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:28 pm
Jdadour wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:27 pm
Excellent! Thanks so much. Here are the numbers side by side for reference, and this is assuming that the other website had the flattop chain measurements correct, which I believe to be true because he provided photos as well.

Ekar Flattop
Roller Diameter 7.75 7.9
External Width Outer 4.85 5.05
External Width Inner 3.35 3.68
Internal Width Outer 3.4 3.37
Internal Width Inner 1.75 2.21
Outer Thickness 0.72 0.65
Inner Thickness 0.8 0.58
Seems a lot of difference comes from plate thickness. Campagnolo has to be thicker, as it does not have the burlier flat top. Topped with an overall narrower chain this leads to 0.5 mm (~25% !) narrower space between inner plates.
Funnily, the roller diameter does not differ that much.
Yeah basically the same, rollers will fit. From the numbers, it seems as if the flattop has the proper dimensions to fit on the Ekar. I only see two main concerns:

- Outer width at 5.05 is slightly wider. Is that enough to lead to rubbing on the adjacent cog? Is .1mm on either side of the chain enough to cause an issue?
- Inner widths of the flattop are also wider leaving more space between the tooth and the chain. This is good because this makes it fit on the teeth fine, but is too much space going to make it sloppy?

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Cool to see some traction here on the flat top chain idea, when I first posted about it months ago, well, I didn’t get much love from some members. (Probably campy employees)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gorkypl

by gorkypl

andreszucs wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:22 pm
Cool to see some traction here on the flat top chain idea, when I first posted about it months ago, well, I didn’t get much love from some members. (Probably campy employees)
You did not get much love as you started claiming some unconfirmed compatibility despite the only Campagnolo component you used was Ekar cassette IIRC.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

gorkypl wrote:
andreszucs wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:22 pm
You did not get much love as you started claiming some unconfirmed compatibility despite the only Campagnolo component you used was Ekar cassette IIRC.
Bottom line is I wanted to help, but cool…some here preferred to keep their pedicure appt job for their chain rings….

eurperg

by eurperg

andreszucs wrote:(Probably campy employees)
I’ll take that as a compliment!

Jdadour

by Jdadour

More measurements, FOR SCIENCE! Here are my measurements of the Ratio Ekar pulley and the SRAM AXS Flattop pulley. Seems VERY similar, only big difference being the wide tooth, but is .3mm of extra space going to cause any issues. Will try both to find out.

Ekar (Ratio) Flattop
Wide Tooth Lower 2.9 3.2
Narrow Tooth Lower 1.75 1.7
Tooth Upper 1.65 1.65
Between Teeth 10 10
Tooth Height 4.15 4.29
Pulley Mount Width 7.8 6.35

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Jdadour wrote:More measurements, FOR SCIENCE! Here are my measurements of the Ratio Ekar pulley and the SRAM AXS Flattop pulley. Seems VERY similar, only big difference being the wide tooth, but is .3mm of extra space going to cause any issues. Will try both to find out.

Ekar (Ratio) Flattop
Wide Tooth Lower 2.9 3.2
Narrow Tooth Lower 1.75 1.7
Tooth Upper 1.65 1.65
Between Teeth 10 10
Tooth Height 4.15 4.29
Pulley Mount Width 7.8 6.35
Literally any $10 set of pulleys on eBay (not narrow wide) will fit with the flat Top chain. It’s not rocket science.

Miller

by Miller

Merlin Cycles in UK is offering the Ekar groupset for £1049. As ever with Merlin there are details to be aware of, eg, rotors not included. Also, the offer is for 140mm brakes front and rear.

Can I use an Ekar front caliper advertised as for 140mm, for 160mm rotors by adding an adapter between fork blade and caliper?

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Yes. CPS993A front caliper adapter is what you need; part number AC21-DBADF. There is no 160mm Ekar caliper.

Miller

by Miller

Mockenrue wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:58 pm
Yes. CPS993A front caliper adapter is what you need; part number AC21-DBADF. There is no 160mm Ekar caliper.
Terrific! Thanks for the good info. Is that the Campag version of the same thing from Shimano and others, like, is it interchangeable with non-Campag caliper adapters? If you know.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Sorry, I don't know for sure. I only use Campagnolo and only have one bike which required the adapter (gravel bike with Ekar). My other disc bikes all have the dedicated 160F/140R calipers.

Miller

by Miller

Thanks, no worries. I am pretty sure it is the same thing but I'll probably buy the item that says Campagnolo.

jwest

by jwest

Mockenrue wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:59 pm
Sorry, I don't know for sure. I only use Campagnolo and only have one bike which required the adapter (gravel bike with Ekar). My other disc bikes all have the dedicated 160F/140R calipers.
Here's some funny stuff I've learned about campy disc caliper "standards":

I have both Ekar and Chorus road groups. The Ekar of course have only one type of caliper and they have "140" printed on them. However, some frames line up these calipers onto 160 rotors without the shim adapters! The 3T Exploro Racemax mounts both Ekar calipers with no adapters, directly onto 160 rotors. The Trek Boone CX frame 2022 has the wide set bolt holes on the fork, basically I've learned is also I think same spacing as "post mount" (SRAM RED has some "post mount" choices too for the calipers).
Now, I'm building both frame with Ekar, however I stole the "road" calipers from the Chorus kit and mounted them directly onto the Trek to 160 rotors. The Chorus road front caliper has "160" printed on it and it's mounting is the wide set, not close like the Ekar bolt holes.

LOL right ?

jwest

by jwest

Miller wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:11 pm
Mockenrue wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:58 pm
Terrific! Thanks for the good info. Is that the Campag version of the same thing from Shimano and others, like, is it interchangeable with non-Campag caliper adapters? If you know.
Maybe too late but just so you know, the Campy road disc calipers can be had in 160 standard or 140. I just used a Chorus front 160 onto my Trek Boone CX frame 2022 model, which uses the wider set bolt holes, and which also seems to make it by default a 160 radius mounting. This did not require a spacer/adapter but it is a matching of the frame interface just as much as chosing the 160 road caliper. The rear caliper looks like the same dimensions as the Ekar but while the Ekar says "140" on it, the rear road caliper did not require a spacer either.

I swear with this new disc stuff, you have to just get your frame, all possible parts solutions, and then use whatever is needed upon inspection of frame mounting dimensions. My dealer had no idea if the 3T frame had direct mounting for the Ekar caliper to 160 rotor or if an adapter would be needed. No adapters were needed for 160 rotors even though the calipers say "140".

evildead

by evildead

Has anyone tried running an Ekar chain on a 11-speed or 12-speed cassette? Any issues related to excessive noise or poor shifting? I was thinking of using my trainer with my gravel bike from time to time, so just trying to understand if this will destroy the chain....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com