1x Campagnolo Ekar drivetrain

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ooo

by ooo

new Ekar Campagnolo N3W freehub option for 2023 Novatec hubs:

Novatec D412CB-CL-X12-C13 (straight pull, carbon)
Novatec D412SB-CL-X12-C13 (straight pull, alloy)
Novatec D792SB-CL-X12-C13 (j-bend, alloy)

'

Zitter

by Zitter

Can anyone confirm that EC-DB003 is the correct replacement hydraulic brake hose and EC-DB011 olive & barbs?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Zitter wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:35 pm
Can anyone confirm that EC-DB003 is the correct replacement hydraulic brake hose and EC-DB011 olive & barbs?
I can confirm that that hose fits a Chorus 12sp hydro lever, if that helps. Can't see why they'd alter that part for Ekar.

Zitter

by Zitter

Thanks, I'm assuming so since it's the only hose kit I can even find a part number for

rafalkalwa

by rafalkalwa

Hi,

I know that Ekar grupset is not compatible with other chains.

I can understant it cause probably there is no enough space for wider chain on 13-speed cassette.

But what about Ekar crankset only? Will it be working with Super record 12 chain?

JensNL

by JensNL

Zitter wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:35 pm
see https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/ ... _Rev00.pdf page 29, EC-DB003

simbikotic

by simbikotic

Has anybody tried to fit and peen the 13sp chain pin using the 11-12sp Campagnolo chain tool (UT-CN300), rather than the recommended UT-CN400. Interested to know if it is impossible or just more fiddly.

morrisond

by morrisond

simbikotic wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:56 pm
Has anybody tried to fit and peen the 13sp chain pin using the 11-12sp Campagnolo chain tool (UT-CN300), rather than the recommended UT-CN400. Interested to know if it is impossible or just more fiddly.
I did - I just took a file to the two pronged tab that holds the chain to make them thinner - works great and its free.

simbikotic

by simbikotic

morrisond wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:27 pm
simbikotic wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:56 pm
I did - I just took a file to the two pronged tab that holds the chain to make them thinner - works great and its free.
Nice. Thanks for reply. I fitted my chain today. I actually did it without filing. The outer link fits over one of the guide teeth okay. The problem is with the inner link. I just allowed this to stick up so that the outer link could be clamped and then braced the inner link with my thumb. Fiddly but it go the job done. If I find myself doing this more often I will definately file the teeth - a much better solution.

AC0

by AC0

Has anyone removed BB86 protech cups? Can a headset cup remover like the Park RT-1 https://www.parktool.com/product/head-cup-remover-rt-1 catch the back of the bearing stop (not sure that is the correct term) with the sleave in place? I measured the ID of the bearing stop at 29mm and OD of 32mm so the lip is only 1.5 mm wide. There also isn't much space between the end of the sleeve and the lip for tabs on the tool to spread out.

simbikotic

by simbikotic

I am having a small issue with the Ekar disk rotors on a new build (thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=168926). The rotors are mounted on DT-Swiss 240 hubs and there is a lot of play in the spline fit, much more than I have experienced in the past with campag rotors on campag hubs. I heard AFS and centerlock are compatible but maybe the tolerances are not the same?

I had hoped that the play would go away when I tightened down the lockrings, but no. If I sit on the bike, hold the brakes and allow the bike to roll backwards with my weight on it I will hear the discs ping. They will then ping back when I use the brakes normally.

So two questions:

1. Have others had this same experience?
2. Any reccomendations for non Campag rotors I could try?

gwerziou

by gwerziou

You could try regular Record rotors; I've never had the slightest issue with them with DT hubs.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

HaakanD

by HaakanD

I'm thinking about changing from GRX to Ekar but I'm a little concerned about cassette noises that some people have experienced. Is it common or was it just for early cassettes? Any other issues that could be good to know about?

bobrayner

by bobrayner

I haven't had any noise problems. Freewheel noise is ... not quiet, but about average compared to other groupsets.

My bike had some problems with shift quality because the cabling didn't like the tight bends required by fashionably aero integrated handlebar & hidden routing by the steerer. That is 90% fixed now, I'm not sure it will ever be perfect, but it's OK to ride now.

It's easy to scratch the cranks, or scuff the paint on the chainring bolts, when you switch chainrings.

But if those are the biggest complaints about a groupset, it's pretty good.

Personally, I haven't owned GRX; can't provide a direct comparison, sorry!
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

ogcsmith

by ogcsmith

I used 160mm Campy AFS 03 rotor rather than the Ekar ones before they are fair bit lighter (and it was on a 3T strada and road use). Wheels have DT Swiss 350 hubs and used a DT Swiss lock ring no play at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com