eTap AXS Mullet Thoughts

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

Planning to move back to a 1x set-up on my gravel/travel bike. Really like the 1st gen eTap that's on it right now but it's a bit limited as a 1x set-up both in capacity and lack of a clutch on rough terrain.

I'm thinking about moving to the new Force AXS shifters with the Eagle AXS RD. I can keep my existing 1x crank/chainrings since I wouldn't have to deal with the flat link chain. Would probably go with the Rotor 11/39 rear cassette with a 44 or 46 front.

Let see your AXS mullet set-ups, comments on how well they shift, and what works well together versus what doesn't.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kundica

by kundica

I've run Eagle AXS with the Rotor 11/39 on my Open UP and it never shifted great. It wasn't terrible but always a bit off. I think the 11-39 is a bit too small to work well with Eagle. Shifting was perfect with the SRAM 11-50t cassette I also used. I also tried the Garbaruk cage/pulley system for the Force AXS rear derailleur with the Rotor 11-39 and it was much better. The Garbaruk solution supports up to 42 without the included extender and up to 52 with it so without matches the Rotor cassette well.

The new Force 10-36 cassette would have similar coverage to the 11-39 if you sized down the chainring. I've read the current Force AXS rear deraileur will cover the range if you max the b-gap screw.

That said, I finally grew tired of trying to hack the perfect 1x solution with AXS for a reasonable road cassette and went 2x last week.

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

Good to hear on the Rotor 11/39 and Eagle before I pull the trigger, I don't really want/need the 11/50 for the gravel riding I do. What I really don't want is the flat top chain, were you able to use the Eagle chain with the Garbaruk cage/pulley system?
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019

kundica

by kundica

Yeah, although the Rotor cassettes prefer KMC chains. I spoke with Rotor and they said it's designed around the chain. The Garbaruk solution doesn't care what chain you use.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Relientk1202

by Relientk1202

I run Red AXS shifters with an Eagle AXS rd, Cannondale Hollowgram crank with P2M Neo, 46t Absolute Black oval chainring, and 10-50 Eagle cassette. I use it for road/gravel on my Topstone Carbon and really like it. It’s been about 4 months or so since I made to move from 2x to 1x. I’m located in Birmingham, AL and we have some steep climbs and descents so I appreciate the extra gearing on both ends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

I am running a 10-48 Garbaruk cassette with a New SRAM red power meter 42t crankset and eagle chain. After 1000k the garbaruk cassette shifts as well and is as qiuet as my eagle cassettes on my mtb. Frankly I'm convinced the solenoids are so strong on Electronic drivetrains that chain is shifting whether it wants to or not. Probably could get away with no ramps or special chains. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=160922

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

So it looks like my options are going with something like the 10-48 Garbaruk cassette or similar with the Eagle AXS rear derailleur if I'm going to avoid the flat link chain and a SRAM crank. The only other option would be getting a Red/Force AXS rear derailleur/cassette and seeing if the Eagle chain would play nice with a Garbaruk cage/pulley.

I pick of some AXS levers and pull the Eagle AXS RD and cassette of the MTB and play with that for a bit.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019

kundica

by kundica

Garbaruk will release a 10-42 12 speed cassette at some point, they mentioned it when I spoke with them a few weeks ago. Not sure of the release timeframe though. The Garbaruk cage/pulley system will work with an Eagle chain just fine, the issue is the Rotor cassette. Rotor designed their caseetes for use with KMC, Eagle chains don't shift well on them.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

pwork

by pwork

I have approximatly 1500 dirty miles on a force/x01 axs build running a 42t oval with a E13 9/46 cassette and couldn't be happier with the shifting or wear. I have no need around here for a 50t.

gSporco

by gSporco

I am running a Force AXS/Eagle XX1 with an e13 9-46 cassette and Force Crank arms with Wolftooth 44T and YBN 12 sp chain.
500 miles on this setup and it works great. The YBN chain is t the beat IMHO. I have. KMC ready to go once i make the full commitment :)

Likes: Shifts great, no noise and excellent range for big climbs.

Dislikes: 9t to 10t shifting is slow (I think the YBN chain is the issue)
9t is to steep, down hill sprinting ar 80 cadence im foing to fast lol 40 mph and scared the crap out of me. I dont need to be going thia fst on the road.
If tour cadence sensitive then the jumps i the high gears will bother you. Coming from the AXS 2x i was spoiled with beautiful 1 tooth jumps. Butnim getting used to it.

Before i commit and buid both wheelsets with the same cassette ill try the Rotors and Garbaruk
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I have a 44T Force AXS chainring with a quarq PM, and a 10-52 cassette (1099) with Eagle AXS XX1 rear derailleur on my Open. It's pretty fantastic. Fast on on flat, but can take on steep MTB climbs. I really love it.
The picture is pre upgrade to 10-52:
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

That is a frankly insanely big chimney 🤣🤣
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

gSporco

by gSporco

What chain are you running? I just swapped to a 10-50T Eagle XX1 cassette and my shifting issues are gone from the eTHirteen.. However, only testing this with the KMC X12 chain its noisey in the middle of the cassette no matter how much indexing I do.. And at the 50T, with I back pedal the chain falls down to the next cog..

Not sure if its becasue the KMC isnt as smooth as the Eagle chain.. Would like to hear what people are using for chains before I spend the extra coin testing the Eagle chain against the KMC.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

solarider

by solarider

I run the following:

Chainset - Cane Creek EE Wings/Wolftooth Chainring (40T)
Bottom Bracket - Chris King Threadfit 30
Rear Derailleur - SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS
Shifters - SRAM Red AXS HRD
Brakes - SRAM Red AXS HRD
Chain - SRAM XO1 Eagle
Cassette - SRAM 1295 Eagle (10/50)

Works faultlessly, and for the terrain and riding I use the bike for the gear range and jumps are perfect. I run full XX1 Eagle AXS on the mountain bike and full Red AXS on the road bike. They all work well individually and in combination. The clutch means no dropped chains even on rough ground.

I was previously running Red AXS 1x, but even with a 10/33 I found that the range off road was a bit limiting. In truth a 10/42 would probably be ideal, but since SRAM don't offer that (yet), I prefer to spin lower gears.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

ajcav86 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:59 pm
That is a frankly insanely big chimney 🤣🤣
I'll saw that over the winter... looking pretty ridiculous, I know.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com