eTap AXS Mullet Thoughts

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

gSporco

by gSporco

Greg0rE wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:41 pm
Jumping in here as I am still somewhat undecided between XPLR and Eagle in the back (the front will be a 42 or 44t oval chainring) has anyone tried both?

I know there was a discussion on the 3T blog (https://blog.3t.bike/2021/08/17808/sram ... ro-launch/) with one guy claiming the XPLR Force rear mech ran okay/ without shifting issue with the Eagle chain and 10-50, but not sure if that would also work on the red.

Primarily looking to race gravel and cyclocross and take the bike with me when travelling where I'll likely encounter super rough roads.
IMHO XPLR isnt really worth it... Again, my opinion, limited range with little added benefit. You get an 11 tooth, but do you really need that, Id rather have the added climbing gears, and all the steps are still mostly 2 tooth jumps between both..

I would go eagle RD in back so you can use XPLR cassette or Eagle cassette.. Yes, you can probably squeeze an eagle cassette with an XPLR RD, but, Id rather be safe knowing the 10-44 will work with a Eagle RD.. Also, with a 10-50 you can use a 46 or larger Chain ring like most of the pros do and that will put you in the middle of cassette for a cleaner chain line on road rides or on the flats..

Again, just my opinion..
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Greg0rE

by Greg0rE

gSporco wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:52 pm
Greg0rE wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:41 pm
Jumping in here as I am still somewhat undecided between XPLR and Eagle in the back (the front will be a 42 or 44t oval chainring) has anyone tried both?

I know there was a discussion on the 3T blog (https://blog.3t.bike/2021/08/17808/sram ... ro-launch/) with one guy claiming the XPLR Force rear mech ran okay/ without shifting issue with the Eagle chain and 10-50, but not sure if that would also work on the red.

Primarily looking to race gravel and cyclocross and take the bike with me when travelling where I'll likely encounter super rough roads.
IMHO XPLR isnt really worth it... Again, my opinion, limited range with little added benefit. You get an 11 tooth, but do you really need that, Id rather have the added climbing gears, and all the steps are still mostly 2 tooth jumps between both..

I would go eagle RD in back so you can use XPLR cassette or Eagle cassette.. Yes, you can probably squeeze an eagle cassette with an XPLR RD, but, Id rather be safe knowing the 10-44 will work with a Eagle RD.. Also, with a 10-50 you can use a 46 or larger Chain ring like most of the pros do and that will put you in the middle of cassette for a cleaner chain line on road rides or on the flats..

Again, just my opinion..
Interesting take. I just looked at gearing ranges and recommended usage for various cassettes under 400g, which might be helpful for others in the future as well. Based on the below and comments by 3T, I would be tempted to go Eagle XX1 with the Rotor 11-39 cassette:
Rotor’s 12-speed 11-39T cassette. Yes, this one also works with the Eagle AXS rear derailleur and Eagle chain! The range is small, but bigger than the 10-33T (355% vs 330%). It’s great for riders (I happens to be one) who don’t care about their top gear because they are a relaxed descender. You can use this cassette together with a small chainring (maybe 36T, depending on your strength and terrain) and enjoy very nice, small steps between the gears.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Just wanted to put my .02 as someone who thought this over: I went with an Eagle X01 RD

I also thought the XPLR was very limiting even if I get a 44t (again, which should be more than enough, but Id rather have the ability to go bigger to future and vacation proof)

The flat top chain is also limiting

I noticed more people are also interested in cross polinating groupsets with Eagle more than the Etap range

I would also recommend anyone thinking of doing a mullet build to go Eagle. Having said that, if you intend to ride in the same areas and not intend to bring your bike elsewhere XPLR is a good option.

nismosr

by nismosr

went with Mullet right away in building my Palta .. Rival AXS and Eagle GX RD

2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

gSporco

by gSporco

nismosr wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:25 pm
went with Mullet right away in building my Palta .. Rival AXS and Eagle GX RD

First, thats a beautiful build
and
Second, you made the best and most versitile choice
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Alejogon

by Alejogon

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:47 pm
I have a 44T Force AXS chainring with a quarq PM, and a 10-52 cassette (1099) with Eagle AXS XX1 rear derailleur on my Open. It's pretty fantastic. Fast on on flat, but can take on steep MTB climbs. I really love it.
The picture is pre upgrade to 10-52:
This is similar on how I'm planning to build my Crux, going back from 2x to 1x. What chain size have you gone to use the 44t chainring with 52t cassette? 126 links?

Do you think that 120 links would be enough? I may buy the flattop chain and it's only 120 links, but it may not be enough to go with 46t chainring and 52t cassette?

slngshot

by slngshot

flat top chain does not work with 12spd non"T" cassette's.

it does work with new sram transmission parts mixed with road.

kgcx

by kgcx

I just put Transmission on my Mog, anyone know if that rear derrailuer can run a xplr cassette? I'm guessing it won't until Sram releases the new groupset that has the same shift ramps.

UltraMaraFun

by UltraMaraFun

This may be a stupid question, but is there any reason I can't use AXS shifters and Eagle rear derailleur with the new shimano grx 1 x crank and 10x51 cassette (I prefer the ratios on the shimano). Thinking of doing this on my gravel bike to go 1x, would I need to use Sram specific chain in this config? TIA
Bikes:
2020 SystemSIX Hi-Mod - Dura-Ace Di2 12 Speed
2021 Giant TCR ADV Pro Disc - Ultegra Di2 12 Speed
2020 Giant Revolt ADV 2
2019 Genesis Team Zero Disc - SOLD Oct 2020

mcjonesy

by mcjonesy

Nope, you'd probably need the Shimano chain rather than the SRAM one for the hyperglide ramps on the 10-51 cassette.

rawjunk

by rawjunk

Will the easier gears work fine if I plan to use chainring in the big ring position? I have Power2Max Shimano pm and ordered compatible narrow-wide chainring for it.

Is there any reason to go with XD freehub body instead of XDR + 1,85mm spacer? I have DT Swiss 350 hubs and 10-50 Eagle cassette.