eTap AXS Mullet Thoughts

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Chain is a standard Eagle XX1 AXS chain.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

zmjones

by zmjones

OnTheRivet wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:36 am
I am running a 10-48 Garbaruk cassette with a New SRAM red power meter 42t crankset and eagle chain. After 1000k the garbaruk cassette shifts as well and is as qiuet as my eagle cassettes on my mtb. Frankly I'm convinced the solenoids are so strong on Electronic drivetrains that chain is shifting whether it wants to or not. Probably could get away with no ramps or special chains. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=160922
what about under load?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zmjones

by zmjones

solarider wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:40 pm
I run the following:

Chainset - Cane Creek EE Wings/Wolftooth Chainring (40T)
Bottom Bracket - Chris King Threadfit 30
Rear Derailleur - SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS
Shifters - SRAM Red AXS HRD
Brakes - SRAM Red AXS HRD
Chain - SRAM XO1 Eagle
Cassette - SRAM 1295 Eagle (10/50)

Works faultlessly, and for the terrain and riding I use the bike for the gear range and jumps are perfect. I run full XX1 Eagle AXS on the mountain bike and full Red AXS on the road bike. They all work well individually and in combination. The clutch means no dropped chains even on rough ground.

I was previously running Red AXS 1x, but even with a 10/33 I found that the range off road was a bit limiting. In truth a 10/42 would probably be ideal, but since SRAM don't offer that (yet), I prefer to spin lower gears.

that is nasty. should get some more bling fenders though.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

I think the 10-45 shimano XTR cassette with an AXS mullet setup would be pretty ace. Especially with how nice XTR shifts!

gSporco

by gSporco

I dont know, I put another 75k last night on my AXS Mullet Eagle XX1, Eagle10-50T KMX X12 chain and it shifts better but the 16 and 18t cogs are noisey and the 50T cog chain falls down if I back pedal..

I adjusted the b-screw but I can index anymore as its a one or all thing.. Meaning, I can get 10-32T quiet but then the 36 and up hop around.. Also the chain line when its in the 50T is pretty agressive but the Chainring couldnt possibly come any closer to the Chainstay before hitting..

I dont know what gives
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

solarider

by solarider

What fancier mudguards/fenders would sir recommend?

The SKS are fairly bombproof and rattle-free. I really like clean lines so the fewer stays and the smoother the finish the better.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

kundica wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:17 pm
Garbaruk will release a 10-42 12 speed cassette at some point, they mentioned it when I spoke with them a few weeks ago. Not sure of the release timeframe though. The Garbaruk cage/pulley system will work with an Eagle chain just fine, the issue is the Rotor cassette. Rotor designed their caseetes for use with KMC, Eagle chains don't shift well on them.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Any update on this cassette?
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

gSporco wrote:I dont know, I put another 75k last night on my AXS Mullet Eagle XX1, Eagle10-50T KMX X12 chain and it shifts better but the 16 and 18t cogs are noisey and the 50T cog chain falls down if I back pedal..

I adjusted the b-screw but I can index anymore as its a one or all thing.. Meaning, I can get 10-32T quiet but then the 36 and up hop around.. Also the chain line when its in the 50T is pretty agressive but the Chainring couldnt possibly come any closer to the Chainstay before hitting..

I dont know what gives
Have you check the alignment/straightness of the derailuer hanger? It shouldn’t have any of this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gSporco

by gSporco

cloud9blue wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:30 am
gSporco wrote:I dont know, I put another 75k last night on my AXS Mullet Eagle XX1, Eagle10-50T KMX X12 chain and it shifts better but the 16 and 18t cogs are noisey and the 50T cog chain falls down if I back pedal..

I dont know what gives
Have you check the alignment/straightness of the derailuer hanger? It shouldn’t have any of this issue.

That was a while ago.. I have since moved to an e-13 9-46 Cassette and all is well with a waxed KMC X12 chain..
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

I still suspect you have a bent hanger and just masking it with the KMC chain which is known to have looser tolerance than the Sram ones.

gSporco

by gSporco

cloud9blue wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:21 am
I still suspect you have a bent hanger and just masking it with the KMC chain which is known to have looser tolerance than the Sram ones.

I have a derailleur alignment tool and recently adjusted the hanger so all is straight. I may have a funky chain line with my crank though. But i have no idea where to accurately measure the chain line on the aspero
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Jdadour

by Jdadour

kundica wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:48 pm
I've run Eagle AXS with the Rotor 11/39 on my Open UP and it never shifted great. It wasn't terrible but always a bit off. I think the 11-39 is a bit too small to work well with Eagle. Shifting was perfect with the SRAM 11-50t cassette I also used. I also tried the Garbaruk cage/pulley system for the Force AXS rear derailleur with the Rotor 11-39 and it was much better. The Garbaruk solution supports up to 42 without the included extender and up to 52 with it so without matches the Rotor cassette well.

The new Force 10-36 cassette would have similar coverage to the 11-39 if you sized down the chainring. I've read the current Force AXS rear deraileur will cover the range if you max the b-gap screw.

That said, I finally grew tired of trying to hack the perfect 1x solution with AXS for a reasonable road cassette and went 2x last week.
When you used the Force AXS Garbaruk Cage derailleur, what cassettes did you try it with? Does it work an eagle 10-50 cassette? Im trying to understand how that mates properly in terms of the AXS software system, because i thought that SRAM 12 speed Eagle cassette and SRAM 12 speed AXS road cassettes had different spacing. You have to use the 1.85mm spacer on the XDR freehub to use the eagle cassette. How would the Force AXS rear derailleur know how adjust to an eagle cassette?

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

Jdadour wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:00 pm
When you used the Force AXS Garbaruk Cage derailleur, what cassettes did you try it with? Does it work an eagle 10-50 cassette? Im trying to understand how that mates properly in terms of the AXS software system, because i thought that SRAM 12 speed Eagle cassette and SRAM 12 speed AXS road cassettes had different spacing. You have to use the 1.85mm spacer on the XDR freehub to use the eagle cassette. How would the Force AXS rear derailleur know how adjust to an eagle cassette?
The cassette span and cog to cog spacing (ie cog pitch) isn't any different, rather it's just the freehub interface that requires the 1.85mm spacer. Since the XD cassette has a large cog 42, 46, 50, 52t etc. size it can cantilever over the spoke head / hub intersection. With a smaller big cog (33,36,etc) there's not enough space for the back of the cog to clear the spokes.

Also it seems that similarly to 11s, the cog pitch for all 12s cassettes is basically the same since there's only so much room to fit all the cogs into the limited space of the freehub.

Jdadour

by Jdadour

yinzerniner wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:16 pm
Jdadour wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:00 pm
The cassette span and cog to cog spacing (ie cog pitch) isn't any different, rather it's just the freehub interface that requires the 1.85mm spacer. Since the XD cassette has a large cog 42, 46, 50, 52t etc. size it can cantilever over the spoke head / hub intersection. With a smaller big cog (33,36,etc) there's not enough space for the back of the cog to clear the spokes.

Also it seems that similarly to 11s, the cog pitch for all 12s cassettes is basically the same since there's only so much room to fit all the cogs into the limited space of the freehub.
Thanks, good to know that the cassette span and cog spacing is the same between the two. Ultimately, thats what I was trying to figure out!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Greg0rE

by Greg0rE

Jumping in here as I am still somewhat undecided between XPLR and Eagle in the back (the front will be a 42 or 44t oval chainring) has anyone tried both?

I know there was a discussion on the 3T blog (https://blog.3t.bike/2021/08/17808/sram ... ro-launch/) with one guy claiming the XPLR Force rear mech ran okay/ without shifting issue with the Eagle chain and 10-50, but not sure if that would also work on the red.

Primarily looking to race gravel and cyclocross and take the bike with me when travelling where I'll likely encounter super rough roads.