New Exploro RaceMax

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

gwerziou

by gwerziou

sham wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:28 am
sham wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:29 am
JackieJunior wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:45 am
Sharing my frameset with a litle DIY spraycan-work.... Will add some more pics once the building process is back on track: this was just phase 1... Apologies for bad pics. (I am afraid it added some weight to the RTP frameset...)
Can I ask what your RTP frameset weighed before painting? I'm awaiting delivery of an RTP frameset in size 51 and would love to have some better estimates on weights as I will be keeping it as raw carbon for my build.
Took delivery of my RTP RaceMax in Size 51 last week. Just in case it is relevant to anyone, it weighed in at 1030g for the frame, and 449g for the fork with all accessories and mountings removed.
Thanks. As a matter of curiosity, what happens if you just don't paint the frame? Would it suffer from UV damage or such?
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sham

by sham

gwerziou wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:59 pm
sham wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:28 am
sham wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:29 am
JackieJunior wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:45 am
Sharing my frameset with a litle DIY spraycan-work.... Will add some more pics once the building process is back on track: this was just phase 1... Apologies for bad pics. (I am afraid it added some weight to the RTP frameset...)
Can I ask what your RTP frameset weighed before painting? I'm awaiting delivery of an RTP frameset in size 51 and would love to have some better estimates on weights as I will be keeping it as raw carbon for my build.
Took delivery of my RTP RaceMax in Size 51 last week. Just in case it is relevant to anyone, it weighed in at 1030g for the frame, and 449g for the fork with all accessories and mountings removed.
Thanks. As a matter of curiosity, what happens if you just don't paint the frame? Would it suffer from UV damage or such?
A very pertinent question that I just got an official response on from 3T. Sounds like the RTP finish is not durable or UV stable enough to be warranted so I'd say it probably won't last the test of time.
1. if frame is painted professionally we maintain the normal warranty
2. if you ride the frame without having it painted we maintain warranty but not on the RTP finishing, as this is nt meant to be used uncovered with an additional coating to further protect the frame.
3. if you have the RTP finish removed the warranty is not maintained.
J.Guillem Orient 54 7.5kg
3T Exploro RaceMax 51 7.3kg

uquality

by uquality

4 months with my Racemax:

The seatpost is finicky (slippage) about torque and carbon paste. I put some tape on the post internally to make it "stick" better. No issues now.

Love this bike in gravel mode with 38C tires and WR50 (Light Bicycle). Handling is amazing. It's not as cushy as my Focus Mares but that's what tire pressure is for.

Road mode with 28C conti 5000 TL and WR38 wheels is even better than expected. Did two weeks on Maui and I liked climbing with this bike more than my old road bike. Hit a bunch of PB's on Strava and I'm not super fit, so I can't say it's slower than my road bike either.
The geometry gives more wheel flop at slow speed and doesn't dive into corners as well as a true road bike but once I was used it to it I didn't really notice. The extra wheelbase is nice over the rough stuff.

I get SO MANY comments about how nice my bike is.. I have the olive/sand and everyone loves it.

kampiakseli

by kampiakseli

Which kind of powermeter people are using with this frame?

Josku

by Josku

kampiakseli wrote:Which kind of powermeter people are using with this frame?
Sram quarq

kampiakseli

by kampiakseli

Dub? I assume the old Quarq does not fit?

kevinw

by kevinw

alexn15 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:52 am

Gravel Set up
Lightbicycle 650B AR36 rims laced to Hope Hubs 36mm deep with 30mm external width
Tires are Schwalbe All Round 650B x 2.25"
Crank is Rotor Aldhu 46/30 x 11-42 Shimano Cassette

ImageIMG_4166
Absolutely beautiful bike. Do you find this a useable tyre clearance in gravel mode? It looks a little tight?

tjoerd

by tjoerd

Hi guys,

Been riding my 3T exploro RaceMax for about five months. Really like it in both road and gravel mode. Have been to Switzerland and Italy for about 10 days, also a great ride. Although, I must say it feels a bit feels (and probably is) a bit heavier than my previous road bike. My bike comes with the Force wide AXS set-up (2x) and in road set-up has FarSports wheels (little over 1500g) with 32mm Schwalbe pro-one tyres (not tubeless, yet). Anybody else shares this experience? Not sure about the current weight, but definately 8kg+.

And for future reference: would you thinking switchting to lighter wheels, tubeless 28/30mm tyres and maybe a 1x set-up improve the climbing feeling? Any other easy and not too expensive weight saving suggestions are welcome!
Like to hear your ideas on it, cheers!

alexn15

by alexn15

kevinw wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:47 am
alexn15 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:52 am

Gravel Set up
Lightbicycle 650B AR36 rims laced to Hope Hubs 36mm deep with 30mm external width
Tires are Schwalbe All Round 650B x 2.25"
Crank is Rotor Aldhu 46/30 x 11-42 Shimano Cassette

ImageIMG_4166
Absolutely beautiful bike. Do you find this a useable tyre clearance in gravel mode? It looks a little tight?
Hi Kevin, yes the clearance is tight with the 2x set up. It's only 5mm between the GRX FD and the rear tire. I use this set up for light gravel (no mud) or rides around the city. My local roads here are terrible. I take a steel gravel bike if I anticipate that the terrain will be muddy.

JackieJunior

by JackieJunior

Very nice indeed!

scuddyflypaper

by scuddyflypaper

Hi tjoerd I feel the same it's serving as my road and gravel bike and sold an emonda slr to get it. Working out well
Truthfully even though it's maybe 1.5kgs heavier I am sure it climbs better... it's not even slightly in doubt actually it really does
On the road I am using Zipp Firecrest 303's which brought the weight down quite a bit. They're only 1300g+. I have them Tubeless which also helps
They could double as excellent gravel wheels but I went with the 3T 44/40... they are nice but too heavy I would have gone with 2 x Zipp Firecrest with different tyres road/gravel if I'd known
It's now 8.3kg in total including pedals size 56
Not amazing weight but not too bad for an aero doubling as capable gravel machine

I've got the schwalbe pro one tyres and AXS 2x by the way
I've done nothing else to it am wondering how else to shave off weight. Group set upgrade to Red maybe ... although I think that is problematic with the lack of a wide range cassette far as I understood it. Am really enjoying having that for gravel use then extending onto the roads and good higher speed capability
Last edited by scuddyflypaper on Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scuddyflypaper

by scuddyflypaper

Anyone finding the paint chips quite easily with gravel strikes.... am wondering does anyone have thoughts on how best to touch up the paintwork?
I have the red and white

sham

by sham

My custom 3T Exploro RaceMax build is finally complete, shown here in gravel mode with 650b wheelset. Will post a glamour shot of road mode with 700c wheelset once I get around to it.

Final weight is 7.3kg in road mode and 8.2kg in gravel mode.

J.Guillem Orient 54 7.5kg
3T Exploro RaceMax 51 7.3kg

Matte86

by Matte86

Beautiful colorway!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

The tires look gargantuan, like 3.0" fat bike tires. What is the frame size?
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com