New Exploro RaceMax

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dubadai

by Dubadai

It depends probably a lot on how you ride... I do a lot of zone 2 riding, and its really hard to keep power down when its 8% climbs and cadance drops... So i only ever use it on the very steepest parts!
uquality wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:26 pm
emotive wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:26 am
I’m running 48/31 GRX cranks with 11-34 on the gravel wheelset and 11-30 on the all-road wheelset. It’s good to have the 1:1 gearing for steep gravel.

I don’t adjust the set screw when I swap wheel sets.
Awesome. I always think the 34 is too big for even gravel, but maybe not.
S-Works Venge 2020
S-works Aethos
Specialized Diverge 2021

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eajohnson

by eajohnson

(deleted)

JackieJunior

by JackieJunior

Sharing my frameset with a litle DIY spraycan-work.... Will add some more pics once the building process is back on track: this was just phase 1... Apologies for bad pics. (I am afraid it added some weight to the RTP frameset...)

kode54

by kode54

That's a really nice rattle can DIY job. Excellent! Like the color and minimal graphics.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

JackieJunior

by JackieJunior

Short update - currently in the middle of taking off my AXS group from my other bike to mount on this baby. Delivery times for SRAM are outrageous.... :-( And the ENVE aero bar is also still on its way...

basurper

by basurper

Guys, what cadence sensor do you use on your RaceMax? Given the very tight space between the non crank arm to the chainstay.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Josku

by Josku

basurper wrote:Guys, what cadence sensor do you use on your RaceMax? Given the very tight space between the non crank arm to the chainstay.

Sram cranks and integrated Sram quarq power meter

uquality

by uquality

First ride on my Racemax today.
I am 173cm tall, size 54 frame. 40cm bars.
Went with 110mm stem and am wondering if that's a bit long? OEM stem is 90mm.

Also, even with a long stem the bike felt twitchy with 32c tires.

basurper

by basurper

Josku wrote:
basurper wrote:Guys, what cadence sensor do you use on your RaceMax? Given the very tight space between the non crank arm to the chainstay.

Sram cranks and integrated Sram quarq power meter
Thanks for the info.

I finally choose the old garmin gsc-10 sensor.

tjoerd

by tjoerd

uquality wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:00 am

Hi Uquality,

I currently have Schwalbe pro one 32's for the road and Cinturato gravel H 35mm for gravel and the bike does not feel twitchy for me at all. This goes for all surfaces acutally. Also have a size 54 with 110mm stem (42cm bars tho). Hopefully you get this sorted out quickly.

Cheers!

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

Dubadai wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:28 pm
It depends probably a lot on how you ride... I do a lot of zone 2 riding, and its really hard to keep power down when its 8% climbs and cadance drops... So i only ever use it on the very steepest parts!
uquality wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:26 pm
emotive wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:26 am
I’m running 48/31 GRX cranks with 11-34 on the gravel wheelset and 11-30 on the all-road wheelset. It’s good to have the 1:1 gearing for steep gravel.

I don’t adjust the set screw when I swap wheel sets.
Awesome. I always think the 34 is too big for even gravel, but maybe not.
I've been running 52/36 with an 11/34 that has gotten me up most things. Did a road climb on Sunday and on the 36/34 my cadence was down at 60rpm pushing 300W for 12minutes. So glad I had the dinner plate on there :lol:

uquality

by uquality

tjoerd wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 11:01 am
uquality wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:00 am

Hi Uquality,

I currently have Schwalbe pro one 32's for the road and Cinturato gravel H 35mm for gravel and the bike does not feel twitchy for me at all. This goes for all surfaces acutally. Also have a size 54 with 110mm stem (42cm bars tho). Hopefully you get this sorted out quickly.

Cheers!
Dialed my position. Moved the seat forward 1.5cm and flattened my hoods and the bike feels like a dream now.
The Exploro has slightly more wheel flop than my old road bike which I had been mostly riding and that threw me off.
I feel great on both road and gravel wheelsets.

sham

by sham

JackieJunior wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:45 am
Sharing my frameset with a litle DIY spraycan-work.... Will add some more pics once the building process is back on track: this was just phase 1... Apologies for bad pics. (I am afraid it added some weight to the RTP frameset...)
Can I ask what your RTP frameset weighed before painting? I'm awaiting delivery of an RTP frameset in size 51 and would love to have some better estimates on weights as I will be keeping it as raw carbon for my build.
Last edited by sham on Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
J.Guillem Orient 54 7.5kg
3T Exploro RaceMax 51 7.3kg

smartyiak

by smartyiak

JackieJunior wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:07 pm
Short update - currently in the middle of taking off my AXS group from my other bike to mount on this baby. Delivery times for SRAM are outrageous.... :-( And the ENVE aero bar is also still on its way...

You did that with a spray can? Outrageous...that looks AMAZING! Love it.

So, I've decided to take a jump into gravel. Exploro on the shortlist, but:
1. Concerned that it's just too much like my road bike (S3) and
2. has anyone had an issue with the cutout and rocks? I've heard it mentioned as a concern, but I've never seen "real world data" to support that. I'd mostly be riding gravel, fireroads, forest service roads...maybe some easy single track connectors...nothing too outrageous.
3. Anyone bike pack with their's? I'd be looking at overnight...maybe three days; nothing crazy like 7-10days.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmh

by jmh

basurper wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:15 pm
Guys, what cadence sensor do you use on your RaceMax? Given the very tight space between the non crank arm to the chainstay.

You can always just put a magnet on the back of the pedal spindle. You can then align it with your cadence sensor that is easy to get out of the way. This is my preferred method on bikes without a powermeter.