Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Still playing with position and shall then cut the steerer, and 100g lighter pedals coming back from warranty soon.

SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ccie6872

by ccie6872

@ryanw - what are your initial impression versus your OPEN? nice build!

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Literally 4 posts ago...

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

ryanw wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:24 am
Still playing with position and shall then cut the steerer, and 100g lighter pedals coming back from warranty soon.

Is that top pic Richmond park?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Yep

Mirco

by Mirco

If you need 30mm spacer including 8mm headsetcap, you might have the wrong frameset size.

rjich

by rjich

To add a counter point. We don't need to slam the front arbitrarily, especially on a gravel/recreational/cross bike.

I use spacers on my steerers because I am behind in my yoga and youth serum! A larger frame would be too large for me and I'm a couple cm taller.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Mirco wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:52 am
If you need 30mm spacer including 8mm headsetcap, you might have the wrong frameset size.
If your eyes are that good, you'd see that there's 20mm under the stem and I also said "Still playing with position and shall then cut the steerer..."

But thanks for educating me, I definitely don't know anything about bikes.

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

ryanw wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:10 pm

It's as responsive as my SL7, uber compliant and begs you to sit in Z5 smashing the pedals.
I'm yet to put on the 650b wheels and knobbly tyres, so can't comment on how it tractors through really bad terrain, but it handled some pretty grim gravel / mud today on 700c x 44mm slicks.

I would say from the one ride on the Crux, that the UPPER is more of a bulldozer (not in a bad way). The Crux obviously is race focused, whereas the Open is more relaxed, and in turn really let's you float over / bulldoze through obstacles that may have you off the Crux. The Crux is definitely faster but requires you not to be asleep at the wheel, or over the bars you go ;)

Both bikes are amazing, but for me, the Crux wins for my current needs.
Thanks for this comparison.

Are these comments with the Open on 700 or 650b wheels? Which aspect of the Crux requires more atttentive riding, front end/steering or overall stability?

Is the Open front and rear end smoother than the Crux?
2016 Diverge Expert

Gavin929

by Gavin929

Just installed a dura ace 9200 crankset with 52/36 chainrings. I don't plan on using this combo but it does indeed clear the chainstay with more than enough room to not cause any worry. I didn't install the front derailleur but assume that will be the limiting factor on what size tire you can run.

andrewbn42

by andrewbn42

Gavin929 wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:09 am
Just installed a dura ace 9200 crankset with 52/36 chainrings. I don't plan on using this combo but it does indeed clear the chainstay with more than enough room to not cause any worry. I didn't install the front derailleur but assume that will be the limiting factor on what size tire you can run.
Could you post a picture? I am intrigued, as there have been conflicting reports on Shimano fit.

Gavin929

by Gavin929

andrewbn42 wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:38 pm
Gavin929 wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:09 am
Could you post a picture? I am intrigued, as there have been conflicting reports on Shimano fit.
I don't have a good way to put pictures on weight weenies because I don't store pictures online. I was able to fit a 2mm hex wrench between the chainstay and the closest point of contact on the chainring. If you wanted to add a 1mm spacer to the driveside you would increase clearance to 3mm and also give the front derailleur cage a bit more breathing room from the rear wheel.

req110

by req110

ryanw wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:24 pm
Mirco wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:52 am
If your eyes are that good, you'd see that there's 20mm under the stem and I also said "Still playing with position and shall then cut the steerer..."

But thanks for educating me, I definitely don't know anything about bikes.
Not sure if you mentioned it somewhere, but i think you have 56cm SL7 and 54cm Crux now.

You were probably choosing between 54cm and 56cm frameset. The stack and reach of 54cm bike is closer to SL7 56cm, but one would prefer to have gravel bike with shorter stem.

I am also riding 56cm SL7 (2cm spacers, -6 deg 10cm, 7.5cm drop) and i am leaning more towards 56cm bike.

Can you share your size decision making process?
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

Can someone please take a picture of the space between the left side crank and the frame for a Powermeter to go on the left side. OR give me some measurement. Would prefer someone with a GRX or Shimano crank.
4iii just released a new slim power meter crank. If I had a store that has the bike in stock, I would ask them, but no one in Canada has the bike.

https://wwwold.4iiii.com/wp-content/upl ... eck-p3.pdf

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

So for sizing:

I'm 183cm, average proportions.

I ride a 56cm SL7, slammed, -12 110mm stem with 9270 (120mm with 9170).

Just done a ride on the 54cm Crux (110mm -6 stem, in-line post), 10mm spacer, it's pretty much spot on. Obviosuly not as stretched out, but I'm using this as a gravel bike, so I don't want to mimic my road position, I want the reach to be shorter yet not too upright.

This fits the bill perfectly.

I know I could ride a 56 slammed with a 90/100mm stem, but I could also add a setback post to the 54 the free up some more reach if needed. I may try the latter to see how it feels, but currently don't think it's required, albeit, saddle is slammed to the rear.

The 56 on an setback and recommended 110mm stem would definitely be too big for me and my desired riding position.

Also back from first ride on the 650s with 48c tyres, definitely slower than the 700s and lightweight 44 slicks, but still proper agile an urges you to press on hard!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com