Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

req110

by req110

Cool report!

Aren't you not interested in MTB as well, or your location does not have much MTB specific areas?

I am asking myself if i need to purchase MTB again, or i don't need it. My area don't have much biblical MTB specific descents or technical sections. :(
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

dzl

by dzl

dzl wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:08 pm
nfosterma wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:59 pm
dzl wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:07 pm
Has anyone successfully run a SRAM Force/Rival AXS WIDE front derailleur with a regular non-WIDE SRAM 2X crankset? If so, how is the shifting? Did you have to run the front derailleur at its limits?

I should be taking delivery of my Crux Pro soon (fingers crossed) and am prepping to swap over to Force AXS 2X. If I don't have to buy a completely new crankset (e.g.
the WIDE version) and still get adequate tire clearance running 47mm tires to the WIDE verison of the front derailleur, that would be awesome.

IIRC, someone said they got adequate clearance to 42mm tires (measured) running standard front derailleur and 2X crankset.

Thanks!
Did you ever figure out if if the non-wide SRAM 2X crankset will work with the Crux? I have the 54 cm frame sitting in my basement, and I'm just trying to figure out if I can use a "traditional" 2X set of cranks, and the wide front derailleur. I already have a set of Red 2X cranks, so if it would be ideal if I could use these (46/33) instead of purchasing something new. My plans are to run 40mm - 42mm tires, so I'm trying to figure out the right combo between cranks (tradtional or wide) and FD (traditional or wide) that provide the right amount of clearance for the inner ring, and proper front-end shifting.

I have considered a 1X, and I have studied the gear charts, and there are few big jumps in the ratios that just gives me a little pause on this solution. Any feedback would be greatly appreicated.
I have my Crux Pro complete bike and all of the parts to try this out....except the front derailleur mount. I guess complete bikes don't come with that. It's on order, and hopefully I'll get it soon.

I have:
- the WIDE Force front der
- normal Force crankset, powermeter and 46/33 rings
- wide crankset (just in case I need it)

Oh, FYI, one thing to note for those that will eventually get the WIDE crankset....it requires 2.5mm and 5.5mm spindle spacers. The Crux comes with a 3.0mm spindle spacer on the drive side for the normal cranks. The WIDE crankset does not come with the spacers it needs. For some reason, you only get those spacers if you buy a DUB wide bottom bracket, which is just the normal 68mm bottom bracket with 2.5 and 5.5mm spacers.

Once again, the way SRAM packages its components makes no sense to me. Why would you include the spacers with the BB that doesn't change regardless of crank width? The appropriate spacers logically should come with crankset.
I received the front derailleur mount today and am pleased to say that running a normal Force AXS 2X crank with a Force WIDE derailleur works fine....at least on the work stand.

I have a 52cm Crux Pro with the following set up:

- regular Force 2X crankset, 170cm
- 46/33 rings
- SRAM AXS Force spider power meter
- 10/33 cassette
- Force 36T rear derailleur
- stock Roval Terra CL wheelset
- stock 38cm Pathfinder tires

With this setup, my rear Pathfinder is coming in at 39.3mm wide. At that tire width, I can just fit an 8mm hex key laterally between the tire and the front derailleur battery, which is the gating item. The next closest thing is the wedge spacer to support the derailleur to the mount. That gap is more radial than lateral, and there's at least 10mm of gap there.

In terms of front derailleur adjustment, obviously the limiting factor (no pun intended) is low limit adjustment towards the frame. I'd say when adjusted well, you still have half to one full turn of the lower limit screw towards the frame. Adjusting the upper limit will not be an issue.

So the set up shifts fine on the stand, but it's not tested on the road in anger and won't be for some time since there's still a bunch of snow on the ground and more on the way this weekend. But with at least half a turn adjustment still available for the lower limit, I hope it will work fine. That being said, I still installed a chain stopper to mitigate chain drops to the inside.

Sorry for the long post. I hope this helps someone else on the thread.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dzl

by dzl

dzl wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:56 am
dzl wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:08 pm
nfosterma wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:59 pm
dzl wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:07 pm
Has anyone successfully run a SRAM Force/Rival AXS WIDE front derailleur with a regular non-WIDE SRAM 2X crankset? If so, how is the shifting? Did you have to run the front derailleur at its limits?

I should be taking delivery of my Crux Pro soon (fingers crossed) and am prepping to swap over to Force AXS 2X. If I don't have to buy a completely new crankset (e.g.
the WIDE version) and still get adequate tire clearance running 47mm tires to the WIDE verison of the front derailleur, that would be awesome.

IIRC, someone said they got adequate clearance to 42mm tires (measured) running standard front derailleur and 2X crankset.

Thanks!
Did you ever figure out if if the non-wide SRAM 2X crankset will work with the Crux? I have the 54 cm frame sitting in my basement, and I'm just trying to figure out if I can use a "traditional" 2X set of cranks, and the wide front derailleur. I already have a set of Red 2X cranks, so if it would be ideal if I could use these (46/33) instead of purchasing something new. My plans are to run 40mm - 42mm tires, so I'm trying to figure out the right combo between cranks (tradtional or wide) and FD (traditional or wide) that provide the right amount of clearance for the inner ring, and proper front-end shifting.

I have considered a 1X, and I have studied the gear charts, and there are few big jumps in the ratios that just gives me a little pause on this solution. Any feedback would be greatly appreicated.
I have my Crux Pro complete bike and all of the parts to try this out....except the front derailleur mount. I guess complete bikes don't come with that. It's on order, and hopefully I'll get it soon.

I have:
- the WIDE Force front der
- normal Force crankset, powermeter and 46/33 rings
- wide crankset (just in case I need it)

Oh, FYI, one thing to note for those that will eventually get the WIDE crankset....it requires 2.5mm and 5.5mm spindle spacers. The Crux comes with a 3.0mm spindle spacer on the drive side for the normal cranks. The WIDE crankset does not come with the spacers it needs. For some reason, you only get those spacers if you buy a DUB wide bottom bracket, which is just the normal 68mm bottom bracket with 2.5 and 5.5mm spacers.

Once again, the way SRAM packages its components makes no sense to me. Why would you include the spacers with the BB that doesn't change regardless of crank width? The appropriate spacers logically should come with crankset.
I received the front derailleur mount today and am pleased to say that running a normal Force AXS 2X crank with a Force WIDE derailleur works fine....at least on the work stand.

I have a 52cm Crux Pro with the following set up:

- regular Force 2X crankset, 170cm
- 46/33 rings
- SRAM AXS Force spider power meter
- 10/33 cassette
- Force 36T rear derailleur
- stock Roval Terra CL wheelset
- stock 38cm Pathfinder tires

With this setup, my rear Pathfinder is coming in at 39.3mm wide. At that tire width, I can just fit an 8mm hex key laterally between the tire and the front derailleur battery, which is the gating item. The next closest thing is the wedge spacer to support the derailleur to the mount. That gap is more radial than lateral, and there's at least 10mm of gap there.

In terms of front derailleur adjustment, obviously the limiting factor (no pun intended) is low limit adjustment towards the frame. I'd say when adjusted well, you still have half to one full turn of the lower limit screw towards the frame. Adjusting the upper limit will not be an issue.

So the set up shifts fine on the stand, but it's not tested on the road in anger and won't be for some time since there's still a bunch of snow on the ground and more on the way this weekend. But with at least half a turn adjustment still available for the lower limit, I hope it will work fine. That being said, I still installed a chain stopper to mitigate chain drops to the inside.

Sorry for the long post. I hope this helps someone else on the thread.
I may have spoke too soon. The WIDE front derailleur seems to work fine with standard 2X cranks...but I had forgotten about Cpro and his earlier mentions of iner chainring bolt clearance to the seatstay.

Looking at that area, there is only 1mm of clearance between the inner chain ring bolts and the seatstay with a Force 2X set up. That's not enough for me as I intend to participate in a lot of gravel events this year. So I guess I will go with WIDE crankset as well to get an additional 2.5mm of clearance.

FreeZ

by FreeZ

Any experience with 48mm Rene Herse Oracle Ridges? Will it fit? ID25 rim.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

ryanw wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:02 am
So for sizing:

I'm 183cm, average proportions.

I ride a 56cm SL7, slammed, -12 110mm stem with 9270 (120mm with 9170).

Just done a ride on the 54cm Crux (110mm -6 stem, in-line post), 10mm spacer, it's pretty much spot on. Obviosuly not as stretched out, but I'm using this as a gravel bike, so I don't want to mimic my road position, I want the reach to be shorter yet not too upright.

This fits the bill perfectly.

I know I could ride a 56 slammed with a 90/100mm stem, but I could also add a setback post to the 54 the free up some more reach if needed. I may try the latter to see how it feels, but currently don't think it's required, albeit, saddle is slammed to the rear.

The 56 on an setback and recommended 110mm stem would definitely be too big for me and my desired riding position.

Also back from first ride on the 650s with 48c tyres, definitely slower than the 700s and lightweight 44 slicks, but still proper agile an urges you to press on hard!

Just wondering as I'm pretty similar dimensions to yourself, is there any toe overlap with the 700c wheels and 44mm tyres? If not any idea how much clearence there is?

rjich

by rjich

FreeZ wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:01 am
Any experience with 48mm Rene Herse Oracle Ridges? Will it fit? ID25 rim.
I've been using a 48mm Soma Vitesse on a 21mm IR 700c wheel, which are probably similar size with the panaracer roots. To my eye It had about 4mm gap at smallest point although I didn't measure. Would no doubt be tighter on a 25 IR.
Lots of toe overlap with a EU size 46 on 56 frame with those tires
I've since gone to the 42mm s works Pathfinder which fits better in my opinion and less overlap.
Last edited by rjich on Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gSporco

by gSporco

CampagYOLO wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:45 am
ryanw wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:02 am
So for sizing:

I'm 183cm, average proportions.

I ride a 56cm SL7, slammed, -12 110mm stem with 9270 (120mm with 9170).

Just done a ride on the 54cm Crux (110mm -6 stem, in-line post), 10mm spacer, it's pretty much spot on. Obviosuly not as stretched out, but I'm using this as a gravel bike, so I don't want to mimic my road position, I want the reach to be shorter yet not too upright.

This fits the bill perfectly.

I know I could ride a 56 slammed with a 90/100mm stem, but I could also add a setback post to the 54 the free up some more reach if needed. I may try the latter to see how it feels, but currently don't think it's required, albeit, saddle is slammed to the rear.

The 56 on an setback and recommended 110mm stem would definitely be too big for me and my desired riding position.

Also back from first ride on the 650s with 48c tyres, definitely slower than the 700s and lightweight 44 slicks, but still proper agile an urges you to press on hard!

Just wondering as I'm pretty similar dimensions to yourself, is there any toe overlap with the 700c wheels and 44mm tyres? If not any idea how much clearence there is?
Zoom in on the picture, you can see he has nearly 50+mm of clearance
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

rjich

by rjich

Those wheels are 650b ^^, where the enquiry related to 700c being the Oracle ridge model. Here is a pic with 700c with a 48mm Soma tire!

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

gSporco wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:24 pm

Zoom in on the picture, you can see he has nearly 50+mm of clearance
I should have been clearer, I meant clearence between Ryan's foot and the tyre if there wasn't toe overlap.

req110

by req110

rjich wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:28 pm
Those wheels are 650b ^^, where the enquiry related to 700c being the Oracle ridge model. Here is a pic with 700c with a 48mm Soma tire!

very cool, 56cm?
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

rjich

by rjich

Yep it's a 56. Thank you, I think it's a great bike.

niklasp

by niklasp

My blue one was to be delivered in january/february but now its at least july. Think I'll buy something else actually... And Its 1 or 2 price increases since then.

Currently over 10100km on my 2019 so maybe I'll stick to that one :D Corona, prices, war etz is no bueno.

BRyder

by BRyder

rjich wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:49 am
Hi,
Love the look of those tyres!
Out of curiosity what is your saddle height center of BB to center of the saddle? Trying to get a perspective of what mine will look like on either a 54 or 56.

Thank you!

rjich

by rjich

BRyder wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:33 am
rjich wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:49 am
Hi,
Love the look of those tyres!
Out of curiosity what is your saddle height center of BB to center of the saddle? Trying to get a perspective of what mine will look like on either a 54 or 56.

Thank you!
I'm afraid we just moved and i don't have much of a tape-measure in the collection just yet. I dream of metric!.. But it seems just over 30" measured from centre bolt of crank to the saddle. I am around 186cm. I will buy another tape measure soon when i tire of inches. Might take another week. :lol:
Last edited by rjich on Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BRyder

by BRyder

Thanks Rjich.

Why is the new ultegra and DA 12spd not supported for use on the Crux? What is the limiter.