Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

whinefields

by whinefields

Definitely stressful. I felt the same way -- torn between SRAM xplr (since I have SRAM on all my other bikes and the low weight appealed to me) or trying to build the bike up with a mix of Shimano components.

Ultimately, and after speaking to the folks at P2M (who were very helpful), I went with their lightest gravel crankset with the GRX spacing. Using that as the base, I went with a mix of DA shifters and calipers, XTR rotors, and then the GRX front and rear derailleur. Oh, and the Ultegra 11/34 cassette.

After cobbling all that together, I have never appreciated SRAM more. If only they made a wide RED 2x.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwC

by TwC

Freddie Ovett of LegionLA is running a 46T 1x set up on his new Crux. He doesn't know if it's a wide crankset.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVDvzceMES ... =copy_link

If I can run the sram 107bcd power spider with 46T rings on the wide crank then we might be in business!

Edit: the shop that built the bike said it's running a standard width crankset :shock:

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Interesting. With them saying 44t works, I am not surprised 46t works barely (probably 0.05mm of gap to the frame).
I wouldn't want to run it that close to the frame however
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

spartacus

by spartacus

Can you space sram crank sets out like you can with hollow tech ones?

bilbobogeins

by bilbobogeins

Just picked this up today. I'm hoping to swap over my drivetrain AXS group set but from what I see here that might not be possible. Image

ChrisRideLog

by ChrisRideLog

TwC wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:12 pm
Freddie Ovett of LegionLA is running a 46T 1x set up on his new Crux. He doesn't know if it's a wide crankset.

If I can run the sram 107bcd power spider with 46T rings on the wide crank then we might be in business!

Edit: the shop that built the bike said it's running a standard width crankset :shock:
I also don't think there is any specific XPLR wide crank available, it has to be the standard one used for all 1x and 2x setups besides the 43/30 one.

henau212

by henau212

dzl wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:16 pm
cycleboyco wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:45 pm

I could be wrong, since there are so many SRAM confirgurations, but I do not think there is SRAM XPLR specific crankset-there is a Wide Force cranskset, which also requires a wide BB, wide FD, and med cage RD that I believe you and FlatandClimber are referring to. I think you could use the PM spider, but not sure if the 46/33 combo would work-wouldn't the larger than GRX inner ring potentially cause an issue?

I am still waffling between what I think will be the lower weight of Red XPLR and the range and quality of GRX 2X. As has been previously posted, I think I can use the P2M Gravel spider and rings and P2M has confirmed with me that the chainline is the same as GRX-thinking of going with the Aldhu arms.
The XPLR 1X crankset were introduced with the rest of the XPLR line: https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/fc-frc-1w-d1

The specs say it uses a wider spindle and has a 47.5mm chainline, just like the Force Wide 2X 43/30 crankset. I'm thinking that they share the same spindle.

I am hoping that the 33 inner ring will clear and that Specialized didn't confirm this option works because it is not a stock configuration that you can buy off the shelf (fingers crossed).

So the build would be:

Force 1X XPLR crankset (with 1X ring removed)
Quarq PM
46/33 chainrings
Force WIDE front der
Force WIDE rear der
10/33 cassette

I guess I could always use a GRX crankset and crankarm based PM, but would hate to have a frankenstein setup on this bike.

The thing I don't like about the P2M setup is that the chainrings are custom to that set up since the 2.5mm offset is done in the chainrings, right? Which makes it a pain if you want to change rings or try different ratios. Also harder to swap between 1X and 2X if you want to.

The SRAM Force Ai offset crank gives you 1mm more spindle length than the Force wide, I think. That extra 0.5mm might be enough to get a 33 inner ring to clear, maybe?

All this conjecture is fun to explore, but also a bit stressful...lol
Had the same reservations about the P2M solution. Luckily they are releasing the Shimano GRX chainring solution on Monday. I was told that the Solution will have the original GRX chainline while retaining the normal q factor. This time they adapted the spider. Only problem might be the looks of P2M coupled with Shimano ;) I guess I will give that a try with 2x GRX Di2.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

bilbobogeins wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:21 am
Just picked this up today. I'm hoping to swap over my drivetrain AXS group set but from what I see here that might not be possible. Image
Looks nice. You might the be guinea pig testing 2x AXS set up on this frame so be sure to let us know if it works
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Ridinghigh

by Ridinghigh

I hope we can get to the bottom of which 2x set-ups work. I am trying to decide between an Aethos frameset and this. This may sound strange but I am looking at a bike that I can ride 95% on the road but with larger tires. The remaining 5% would be gravel and/or trying my hand at a cross race or two. I would prefer a Crux because it would have far more utility. However, the lack of 2x compatibility could limit that utility considerably.

dzl

by dzl

The shop that I ordered the Crux Pro from has a demo bike (Giant Revolt) that uses the Force wide 43/30 crankset and wide front derailleur. The shop manager rides an Aethos with the Quarq PM. I'm friends with the manager and mechanics at the LBS, so as soon as my bike comes in, we'll able to see if 2X + Quarq PM will clear if the longer spindle of the Force wide crankset is used. We should be able to check both the 48/35 and the 46/33 configurations.

The bad news is that I have no idea what the ETA is. Could be November, could be next spring.

dzl

by dzl

ChrisRideLog wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:37 am
TwC wrote:

I also don't think there is any specific XPLR wide crank available, it has to be the standard one used for all 1x and 2x setups besides the 43/30 one.
I think there is, though no one else has confirmed. I mentioned it in a previous post: https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/fc-frc-1w-d1

It has a 47.5mm chainline, different finish, and different spider arm geometry vs. the regular Force 1x crankset: https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/fc-frc-1-d1

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

dzl wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:21 pm
ChrisRideLog wrote:
TwC wrote:

I think there is, though no one else has confirmed. I mentioned it in a previous post: https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/fc-frc-1w-d1

It has a 47.5mm chainline, different finish, and different spider arm geometry vs. the regular Force 1x crankset: https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/fc-frc-1-d1
There is a Force normal Q Crank for road, and a Force Wide with bigger Q.
The latter was introduced with the Force Wide 2x system (43/30).
Rival launched with Wide and Normal width.

Red only has narrow Q.

As far as I know, XPLR only has its own RD and Cassettes, all else is from other, pre-existing groupsets.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

ChrisRideLog

by ChrisRideLog

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:06 pm
dzl wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:21 pm
ChrisRideLog wrote:
TwC wrote:

There is a Force normal Q Crank for road, and a Force Wide with bigger Q.
The latter was introduced with the Force Wide 2x system (43/30).
Rival launched with Wide and Normal width.

Red only has narrow Q.

As far as I know, XPLR only has its own RD and Cassettes, all else is from other, pre-existing groupsets.
But that means consequently due to the lack of a red wide version that both force and rival cranks will be also highly likely the normal and not wide version on the Crux by default.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

By default, the bike is delivered with a minuscule 40t chainring.
And that is the, pardon my pun, the crux of the matter.
A standard width Sram crank, at least according to Spesh, will work with up to a 42t with no problem, a 44t with minimal clearance, nothing larger than that, and no 2x configuration.
I, and several others, are interested in a 44/46+ chainring, and therefore would need a wide crank, that is only offered in the "lower qualities".
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

maquisard

by maquisard

Agree 100% - when I first got excited about this frame I had the plan to use it for little gravel/road. The limited chain ring options make me think again.

At the moment I ride a Diverge as a winter bike with 42T front and 11-30 on the back. This is okay for solo winter riding on rolling terrain and climbs but many times I run out of gearing with 42-11 and have to free wheel on descents. I would want a 44/46 at the front and it is a poblem that options are so limited.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com