Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

rjich

by rjich

From reading some responses online it would appear that there is a limitation with the Shimano 2x crankset and the amount of space available for the inner chainring. I wonder fundamentally whether SRAM also paid a few $ for exclusivity on the crux models and their shipped groupsets. I suppose SRAM support larger cassettes too with all the mix and matching.

Reports on here have also suggested that generally you would need wider crank axle/spindles to make the clearance, such as the SRAM wide cranks. To my eye my Easton EC90SL looks like it could support 2x with its 129mm spindle. But I haven't tried.

Frisco

by Frisco

rjich wrote:
Reports on here have also suggested that generally you would need wider crank axle/spindles to make the clearance, such as the SRAM wide cranks. To my eye my Easton EC90SL looks like it could support 2x with its 129mm spindle. But I haven't tried.
I have a 46/30 EC90SL on my crux, and it cleared with a reasonable amount of space using the 129mm spindle but was also listed as incompatible on the crux site. I posted a couple photos in my build thread.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nfosterma

by nfosterma

So, here's my build, in its current form (road mode). I'm 5'-9.5", which is right on the edge between the 54cm and 56cm size suggestions. I had some "goldilocks" concerns based on the geometries: the 54cm could be too small, while the 56cm could be too large. I ended up going with the 54cm frame, and it works perfectly for me.

I was able the find the frame somewhat locally, and after a 3-hour car ride, I picked it up at a shop in Connecticut. I thought finding the frame was going to be the most difficult part of this build, but I was sorely mistaken. It took me the better part of six weeks to accumulate all the parts, and the SRAM Red groupset was the biggest challenge. I had three different pre-orders at different websites, with expected deliveries between March 30th - April 26th, and I searched Google each day. Miraculously, I was able to find the groupset at a shop in Florida, so I was able to cancel all of my pre-orders. Finding a 90mm Enve stem was probably the second most difficult part to locate (many sites were listing delivery dates in August and beyond), but after looking at numerous sites, I was eventually able to find one.

I'm running SRAM Red 2X, and I was able to fit a 46/33 with the regular-sized BB/front derailleur, and there is plenty of clearance. I did have one interesting situation occur during the assembly, and it was with the front brake caliper. I have 160mm rotors, and the calipers came preset on the flat caliper mount in 160mm position, as you'd expect. However, after much frustration, I realized that I needed to change the caliper mount to the 140mm position (unbolting the caliper, and rotating the mount 180 degrees) to work with the Crux fork. Once I made this change, the front brakes work perfectly.

Here are the general specifics:

Frame/Fork: Crux 54cm
Groupset: SRAM AXS Red 2x 46/33 172.5mm
Cassette: 10-33
Seatpost: Roval Alpinist
Saddle: Selle Italia Kit Carbino Superflow
Handlebars: Enve SES AR 42cm
Stem: Enve 90mm
Wheels: Enve 3.4 AR with Industry-Nine Hubs
Tires: Pirelli P Zero Race TLR 28mm
Pedals: Look Keo Blade Carbon Ti

Total weight,including pedals and bottle cages, using the bathroom scale-method = 16.0 lbs

I took it for its maiden voyage today, and I'm was super happy with how it turned out. I'll report back once I have my gravel wheels and tires, and I have a chance to take it offroad.

simbikotic

by simbikotic

nfosterma wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:01 am
So, here's my build, in its current form (road mode). I'm 5'-9.5", which is right on the edge between the 54cm and 56cm size suggestions. I had some "goldilocks" concerns based on the geometries: the 54cm could be too small, while the 56cm could be too large. I ended up going with the 54cm frame, and it works perfectly for me.

I was able the find the frame somewhat locally, and after a 3-hour car ride, I picked it up at a shop in Connecticut. I thought finding the frame was going to be the most difficult part of this build, but I was sorely mistaken. It took me the better part of six weeks to accumulate all the parts, and the SRAM Red groupset was the biggest challenge. I had three different pre-orders at different websites, with expected deliveries between March 30th - April 26th, and I searched Google each day. Miraculously, I was able to find the groupset at a shop in Florida, so I was able to cancel all of my pre-orders. Finding a 90mm Enve stem was probably the second most difficult part to locate (many sites were listing delivery dates in August and beyond), but after looking at numerous sites, I was eventually able to find one.

I'm running SRAM Red 2X, and I was able to fit a 46/33 with the regular-sized BB/front derailleur, and there is plenty of clearance. I did have one interesting situation occur during the assembly, and it was with the front brake caliper. I have 160mm rotors, and the calipers came preset on the flat caliper mount in 160mm position, as you'd expect. However, after much frustration, I realized that I needed to change the caliper mount to the 140mm position (unbolting the caliper, and rotating the mount 180 degrees) to work with the Crux fork. Once I made this change, the front brakes work perfectly.

Total weight,including pedals and bottle cages, using the bathroom scale-method = 16.0 lbs

I took it for its maiden voyage today, and I'm was super happy with how it turned out. I'll report back once I have my gravel wheels and tires, and I have a chance to take it offroad.

Gorgeous build. Congratulations! I love the contrast between the tape and the frame. I am very close to your height (176cm). You definitely made the right call on the 54. 54 spesh is about perfect for me and I can ride 52 comfortably but 56 is def too large. Seems like bike companies habitually recommend large sizes, perhaps to be conservative on the customer's flexibility (?). Anyway, it looks amazing. Happy riding.

duffaux

by duffaux

nfosterma wrote:So, here's my build, in its current form (road mode). I'm 5'-9.5", which is right on the edge between the 54cm and 56cm size suggestions. I had some "goldilocks" concerns based on the geometries: the 54cm could be too small, while the 56cm could be too large. I ended up going with the 54cm frame, and it works perfectly for me.

Hello from Spain
Sorry for my english
I’m planning to buy a cruxx frame to replace my Giant Defy SL Sunweb
But i have some doubs
-Crank compatibility. I use THM Clavícula with 52x36 oval rings
-The cruxx handling in Road use
-The Look of the frame with 25c tires

What is you opinion about it?
Can you put any photo to see the frame/Road tires clearance?

Regards

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

nfosterma

by nfosterma

simbikotic wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:36 pm
nfosterma wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:01 am

Gorgeous build. Congratulations! I love the contrast between the tape and the frame. I am very close to your height (176cm). You definitely made the right call on the 54. 54 spesh is about perfect for me and I can ride 52 comfortably but 56 is def too large. Seems like bike companies habitually recommend large sizes, perhaps to be conservative on the customer's flexibility (?). Anyway, it looks amazing. Happy riding.
Thanks for the compliments. There's a little backstory behind the bar tape: I had bought Black Lizard Skin 2.5 to complete this build. However, my wife was recently with me in a bike shop, and she saw the Yellow Lizard Skin bar tape, and she suggested that I put it on my new bike. I was skeptical, but she was empahtic, so I bouught it. When I ended up wrapping my handlebars, I stepped back, and thought that it looked really good. I sent a picture of my completed bike to my wife (she's in Florida visiting her parents), and her direct quote: "Awesome! Love that handlebar tape!" I think the yellow tape is a keeper.

FreeZ

by FreeZ

Im running EC90 SL cranks with stock axle 1x setup. No problems and clearance is goood.

BRyder

by BRyder

Can anyone dumbdown an explanation/help for me. My Crux should arrive next week-Rival 1x spec.

1) I want to replace the cranks with a lighter option and powermeter. But the force cranks with power looks to be a similar weight? So is Red the best option, but super expensive.

2)The XPLR red and force cranks seem light but I can't see a pm for the direct Mount xplr range?

3)Also does the Crux require wide cranks? I've seen varing chain lines: 45,47.5, 50mm.

Regards
BRyder

dzl

by dzl

BRyder wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:07 am
Can anyone dumbdown an explanation/help for me. My Crux should arrive next week-Rival 1x spec.

1) I want to replace the cranks with a lighter option and powermeter. But the force cranks with power looks to be a similar weight? So is Red the best option, but super expensive.

2)The XPLR red and force cranks seem light but I can't see a pm for the direct Mount xplr range?

3)Also does the Crux require wide cranks? I've seen varing chain lines: 45,47.5, 50mm.

Regards
BRyder
2) You would remove the direct mount chainring and replace with the SRAM AXS power meter spider + separate 1X chainring (which would mount to the power meter spider)

3) That is a complicated question. As far as I know (and from all the info in this thread):
  • - If you are using SRAM 1X cranks, you don't need wide cranks. After all, all complete Crux bikes come with standard width 1X SRAM cranks
    - Others in this thread have run other 1X cranks with normal spacing (like the Easton EC90 cranks) without problem
    - If you want to run 2X crankset, the clearance issue has to do more with the chainring bolts than the chainring teeth....
    • It appears normal RED 2X cranks with integrated rings has "enough" clearance since they don't use chainring bolts
          If you are using Force 2X cranks (with power meter or without), I would recommend going with the wide version of the crank. This is what I run. I tried using standard width Force 2X cranks, but there was only 1mm of clearance between the chainstay and the inner chain ring bolts, which I was not comfortable with
            GRX should work since it already has wider offset, then you would need a crank-based power meter
              Power2Max offers "gravel" crankset options with their power meters. They basically create GRX spacing with custom chainrings.
          Hope this is helpful.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ryanw wrote:
          Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:02 am
          The 56 on an setback and recommended 110mm stem would definitely be too big for me and my desired riding position.
          Who says a 110mm is recommended? :noidea: Specialized spec the 56 with a 100mm.

Ride what you want but that's some odd reasoning.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

I’m gonna build one up with Ekar and FS wheels.

Unfortunately, the only frame I could find is the super busy one that I’m sure weighs 200g more than the more muted paint schemes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

As I was thinking about this earlier, I have a pile of R8100 Di2 sitting in my foyer waiting to be returned since I ended up buying a bike with SRAM Force. Would it make any sense to build a Crux up with 50/34, 11-34 R8100 over using Ekar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NealH

by NealH

I'd build it with 2X 8100 in a heartbeat over Ekar. I just don't think Ekar is quite ready.

rjich

by rjich

I thought about using a Campy group as I had fond memories of an older veloce equipped Wilier. But I didn't see much value in 13 speed when the cadence wasn't a factor for me. I was more worried about the reports of the shifting not being as crisp so I stuck with the SRAM 11sp.

Personally I use a 80mm stem as I prefer the reach and nimbleness. The roadbike practices (and aesthetic norms) don't apply imho when enjoying bikes for different requirements and disciplines.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

NealH wrote:I'd build it with 2X 8100 in a heartbeat over Ekar. I just don't think Ekar is quite ready.
          How big of a deal would it be to not have a clutch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
          Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com