Crux 2021

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cerro

by cerro

DrimeOser wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:01 pm
From what I saw, the new Crux and the Cannondale are fishing in the same waters. But, the Cannondale has a fairly usual, albeit modern, carbon frame by its build quality. The Crux, based on the technology of the Aethos, is a piece of art. There is no gram of material too much, it is beautifully crafted. It might turn out to be less sturdy, but it has something almost no other frame has.
Crux is aiming for lightweight cx with big tire clearance. SuperSIX Evo SE is an aero roadbike with big tire clearance. So weight or aero. The Crux got a little bit longer chainstays but also take a little bit bigger tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flyordie

by flyordie

niklasp wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:40 am
No One pays retail for a S-WORKS frameset. S-WORKS means the highest margins in the Specialized range. The newly increased prices have made many people buy not S-WORKS from previous years. They are too expensive and you will never get money back when selling (if you bought the bike self cost price maybe...).
Not sure what your hookup is - especially these days - but I know many people who pay retail for S-Works bikes and frames and I also know of a folks who used to get discounts that can't get any discounted bikes right now. While the density might have gone down slightly I still see many of them out here.

rothwem

by rothwem

flyordie wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:42 pm
niklasp wrote:
No One pays retail for a S-WORKS frameset. S-WORKS means the highest margins in the Specialized range. The newly increased prices have made many people buy not S-WORKS from previous years. They are too expensive and you will never get money back when selling (if you bought the bike self cost price maybe...).
Not sure what your hookup is - especially these days - but I know many people who pay retail for S-Works bikes and frames and I also know of a folks who used to get discounts that can't get any discounted bikes right now. While the density might have gone down slightly I still see many of them out here.
It sounds like @niklasp is a dealer, judging by the dealer page screenshot he posted.

But with that said, I'll agree with you. I remember working at two different bike shops in college and having people come in and ask for "the best one". Like probably every other week, at least 1x month. The only sworks bikes that were discounted were the ones bought on EP and if the display ones didn't sell, they were discounted too but that was rare since they were always a 56cm road bike and a M mountain bike.

This was ~2005-2008ish though, maybe things are different these days? The bikes certainly are more expensive.

niklasp

by niklasp

No dealer. In Europe a S-WORKS epic (for example) costs like just under 17k USD. I understand you pay 12k USD?
Also, the pricing on the epic S-WORKS has risen 50% since 2019 in Europe. We payed 11500 USD 2019, now almost 17. There was a time when prie gap wasn't so big. What was the price for a Epic in like 2007?
Yada yada. Bikes are ugly expensive, bit the big S needs alot of grease to work. If you pay retail price then maybe, just maybe they will release new Crux 😁

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Got their announcement email. Theyre calling it a gravel bike now. "One of the best gravel bikes just got better". Minor allusions to cross, but thats it. Its like cross never existed. Sad.

maquisard

by maquisard

When is the official launch and release of NDA to allow publishing of reviews.

If this is basically a slightly heavier Aethos with bg tire clearance for gravel then I am very interested

andrewbn42

by andrewbn42

maquisard wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:12 pm
When is the official launch and release of NDA to allow publishing of reviews.

If this is basically a slightly heavier Aethos with bg tire clearance for gravel then I am very interested
Their email said October 7th.

Mirco

by Mirco

For me itˋs like iWatch 6 vs. iWatch 7, nothing new, but more expensive.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

LanceLegstrong wrote:Looking at the new CruX and hearing the weight claims (something like 725g in size 56 for the S-Works), could this eat into Aethos sales? It's basically the same frame design and similar weights, but the CruX gets massive tire clearance, meaning you could build up a superlight quiver killer, with 2 wheelsets for road or gravel/CX. Not aero, but for most people it could be a good fit.
Depends on the geometry IMO, specifically if the Crux has a high BB like a traditional CX bike.

I can't say I've ever enjoyed the handling of a CX on the road for that very reason.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

niklasp

by niklasp

CampagYOLO wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:28 am
LanceLegstrong wrote:Looking at the new CruX and hearing the weight claims (something like 725g in size 56 for the S-Works), could this eat into Aethos sales? It's basically the same frame design and similar weights, but the CruX gets massive tire clearance, meaning you could build up a superlight quiver killer, with 2 wheelsets for road or gravel/CX. Not aero, but for most people it could be a good fit.
Depends on the geometry IMO, specifically if the Crux has a high BB like a traditional CX bike.

I can't say I've ever enjoyed the handling of a CX on the road for that very reason.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
The "old" crux is lower than many other pure cyclocross bikes. I'm no pro but I can't tell the difference in sitting 10mm more to the ground or not... Drink the cool aid...
Europe, got estimated delivery like November on frame. February in complete bike.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

FactoryMatt wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:32 pm
Got their announcement email. Theyre calling it a gravel bike now. "One of the best gravel bikes just got better". Minor allusions to cross, but thats it. Its like cross never existed. Sad.
Which is funny because this is how they described the current one:

CruX is Unapologetically Cyclocross

When we set out to design a new ‘cross rig, we didn’t just want to make another “adventure” bike with added tire clearance. No way. We wanted to create a dedicated, purebred racing steed that was fast, confident, lightweight, and with a ride like no other ‘cross bike out there. And with multiple World Championships already attributed to its name, the new CruX is ready to take its storied legacy to new heights.

It seems like they did create an adventure bike with added tire clearance with the new one.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Trek Boone RSL
Trek Checkpoint ALR
Canyon Neuron AL

maquisard

by maquisard

Not many riders are racing cross now compared to doing adventure rides on gravel or trails.

Also, at local cross races I watch no one is riding 5000 euro carbon frame!

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

FactoryMatt wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:32 pm
As much as I'm a CX fan, I'm also a realist. CX is niche in the pro racing side of the sport. It's had approx 100 years to become a worldwide sport, and failed. MTB has already caught and passed it as a global sport. It's possible that Gravel will do the same. How many manufacturers have dropped/ limited their range of their CX bikes, in favour of a gravel/all road bike?
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

Karvalo

by Karvalo

niklasp wrote:
No One pays retail for a S-WORKS frameset. S-WORKS means the highest margins in the Specialized range.
Not for the end retailer (which is the governing factor of what kinda discount you might get).

The percentage margin on complete S-Works bikes is actually significantly lower than the percentage margin on any Specialized branded non-ebike.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

@lancelegstrong - thats hilarious. Id forgotten about that. Must have had some turnover in the mkting department.

@BenSiskri, its a shame its not more popular, but thats part of the appeal too. It can be wildly painful and takes a measure of bike handling skills. Gravel events are attracting triathletes and more casual roadies for a reason. Also, they have money. I chuckle a little whenever i see overweight old guys out here on $10k Open Upper gravel bikes training their aerobar position on the road.

Theres plenty of good cross bikes out there still, and honestly the last crux geo was a step toward gravel geo and for west coast cross, was actually better for it. 70mm bb drop and 71.5 head angle isnt always a bad thing for cross. This new one, i think the stack is a step too low for using drops alot and was probably done to accomodate aero bars.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com