Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

niklasp

by niklasp

The new crux is a "gravel racer", not a cyclocross. More info on trainerroad.

The price bump is still insane. Will source a 2021 model instead. But hey, marketing... They know who's got the dough. Semi old white men doing gravel.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Hey I'm semi old, kind of pasty, ha ha! But for $5K, more likely to look at Pursuit, Open or the Factor LS...
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

niklasp wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:07 pm
The new crux is a "gravel racer", not a cyclocross. More info on trainerroad.

The price bump is still insane. Will source a 2021 model instead. But hey, marketing... They know who's got the dough. Semi old white men doing gravel.
At least the new Trek Boone is still a cyclocross frame. And at 2700 USD and a weight of 950g for a 56cm they schooled Specialized this round.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

I went to trainerroad.com but there was no article about the new Crux.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Looking at the new CruX and hearing the weight claims (something like 725g in size 56 for the S-Works), could this eat into Aethos sales? It's basically the same frame design and similar weights, but the CruX gets massive tire clearance, meaning you could build up a superlight quiver killer, with 2 wheelsets for road or gravel/CX. Not aero, but for most people it could be a good fit.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

BananaBike

by BananaBike

I have one of the new SuperSix Evo SEs on order, do you think it is worth it to wait and see the Crux? Or is it probably going to be ludicrously more expensive for a similiarly spec'd bike?

kppolich

by kppolich

BananaBike wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:36 pm
I have one of the new SuperSix Evo SEs on order, do you think it is worth it to wait and see the Crux? Or is it probably going to be ludicrously more expensive for a similiarly spec'd bike?
I'd stay away from those Cannondales with the special rear dish and wait for the Crux.

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

You might have your reasons for not being into Cannondale. But, the dish is 20 bucks at your local wheel builder. Or, you do it yourself in 20 minutes. I don't even think the Ai adds much to the bike as many other manufacturers have managed to keep the stays short using regular specs. Just it is no big deal as far as I can see. Also, most guys buy the whole bike.

Of course, if you have multiple bikes that you like to happily switch wheelsets from one to another on a regular base, that is a problem. But, who does that?

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

From what I saw, the new Crux and the Cannondale are fishing in the same waters. But, the Cannondale has a fairly usual, albeit modern, carbon frame by its build quality. The Crux, based on the technology of the Aethos, is a piece of art. There is no gram of material too much, it is beautifully crafted. It might turn out to be less sturdy, but it has something almost no other frame has.

nateners

by nateners

DrimeOser wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:01 pm
From what I saw, the new Crux and the Cannondale are fishing in the same waters. But, the Cannondale has a fairly usual, albeit modern, carbon frame by its build quality. The Crux, based on the technology of the Aethos, is a piece of art. There is no gram of material too much, it is beautifully crafted. It might turn out to be less sturdy, but it has something almost no other frame has.
This is where I'm at. The CruX seems to be implemetning similar carbon tech from the Aethos, but will that result in a more "fragile" frame. I'm in the market for an "allroadish" grave bike and I currently have a deposit on a Santa Cruz Stigmata, but may end up switching to the CruX provided there is ANY availbility.

Co0kieMonster

by Co0kieMonster

For what I have read about the new crux I actually consider selling my Diverge Frame: Tire Clearance is more than enough for me and the looks and weight are far more desirable for me. But on the other hand, looking at Spec's current pricetags and their availability, I have some doubts...

niklasp

by niklasp

Wait for the Crux. Plenty of bikes and frames already available to order...

rothwem

by rothwem

DrimeOser wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:01 pm
Kids, this is is your brain on marketing materials.

I mean, the Crux seems to be updated exactly how I wanted it to be updated, but if the price is crazy, no amount of decommoditization is going to get me to not cross shop other bikes for a better value.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

[/quote]

Kids, this is is your brain on marketing materials.

[/quote]

Not exactly, bro. I do ride a SuperX, so given the same geo of the Supersix SE, I should have a clue. Then, for Crux ....