Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

There's room to spare on an SL7 running 32s, so assume they'd be even more clearance on the Aethos.

I'd also like to know the real world max tyre sizes on these.

Open say 700x40c but you can run 42-44c and I'm also running 2.2" (55mm) in 650b.

So if Spesh are saying 700x47c, you'd expect to be able to run 2.35" in 650b? That's a legit MTB tyre!
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gavin929

by Gavin929

Just got confirmation that my pro crux frameset in the crazy lilac color fade is on the way to my house. I'll post what I can in regards to tire clearance and pics of what 2x cranksets and 1x cranksets I have available. I've got some digital calipers so if there are some measurements that anyone needs please let me know. I should have it by the end of the week or early next week.

andrewbn42

by andrewbn42

Gavin929 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:34 pm
Just got confirmation that my pro crux frameset in the crazy lilac color fade is on the way to my house. I'll post what I can in regards to tire clearance and pics of what 2x cranksets and 1x cranksets I have available. I've got some digital calipers so if there are some measurements that anyone needs please let me know. I should have it by the end of the week or early next week.
If you could measure distance between chainstays at the widest part of tire. I would also appreciate any more info on chainring clearance. The limitation on mad chainrings being so low makes me a little sad

mutellator

by mutellator

Here's my pro frame with Force AXS front derailleur, 46/33 Red AXS crank, and 38c Compasses that measure 41.5mm. As mentioned earlier, the bottleneck on tire size is the front derailleur battery. There's about 4mm of clearance to the battery.

cbro

by cbro

mutellator wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:29 pm
Here's my pro frame with Force AXS front derailleur, 46/33 Red AXS crank, and 38c Compasses that measure 41.5mm. As mentioned earlier, the bottleneck on tire size is the front derailleur battery. There's about 4mm of clearance to the battery.
Thanks for the pictures. Could you tell me the approximate clearance between the closest gap of your inner ring and the chainstay?

mutellator

by mutellator

cbro wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:40 pm

Thanks for the pictures. Could you tell me the approximate clearance between the closest gap of your inner ring and the chainstay?
The prongs of my calipers are bulky, so I'd estimate it at 2-2.5mm.

Gavin929

by Gavin929

mutellator wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:43 pm
cbro wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:40 pm

The prongs of my calipers are bulky, so I'd estimate it at 2-2.5mm.
Is your front derailleur the standard version or the wide version?

mutellator

by mutellator

Gavin929 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:17 pm
Is your front derailleur the standard version or the wide version?
Standard. Normal width crank spindle as well.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Thanks for the picture.
That worries me a little.
My Pathfinder Pro measure 44mm and with their knobs there probably is not much clearance, hopefully them getting clogge with dirt doesn't become a problem. Will report next week.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Gavin929

by Gavin929

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:25 pm
Thanks for the picture.
My Pathfinder Pro measure 44mm and with their knobs there probably is not much clearance, hopefully them getting clogge with dirt doesn't become a problem. Will report next week.
You could try the wide front derailleur and gain 2.5mm more battery clearance. I've seen people use the wide front derailleur on their new crux with a standard spindle sram red axs crankset.

It could get costly trying to find the perfect setup with 2x. Lots of things to try out and unfortunately most are rather expensive.

dzl

by dzl

Gavin929 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:29 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thanks for the picture.
You could try the wide front derailleur and gain 2.5mm more battery clearance. I've seen people use the wide front derailleur on their new crux with a standard spindle sram red axs crankset.

It could get costly trying to find the perfect setup with 2x. Lots of things to try out and unfortunately most are rather expensive.
I was wondering if this might be the best solution for normal crank/q-factor with maximum tire clearance. Did the folks that went with standard spindle + force wide front der have any issues with the set-up?

The only thing I worry about with that approach is SRAM's reputation of the front der being really finicky (vs Shimano) and it being very easy to throw chains if it is not set up just right. I kind of don't want to risk poor front shifting performance just to get narrower q-factor if wide front der is really designed to work best with the wide crank.

RyanH

by RyanH

I don't think a +5mm increase in Q factor is going to be noticeable to most. It's not like it's a mountain bike crankset with a Q factor of 168mm. A THM Clavicula is 148mm and Rotor Aldu is 147 but people don't really say anything about that.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Thing is, I have a Red crank, red chainring with PM and Red derailleur, I don't have any of the force wide stuff (other than a force wide cassette), so I'd have to buy all of these, and they would also weigh more.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Matte86

by Matte86

As I reported earlier, even tough I haven’t tried it myself, 3T blog states that you can use wide force FD and chainrings with Red AXS cranks in order to keep a road Q factor.

On my road bike I have THM and honestly I didn’t know it had a different Q factor.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tonytourist

by tonytourist

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thanks for the picture.
Colin Strickland shaved the lugs down on his Pathfinders to fit on his Allied Echo:

https://www.velonews.com/wp-content/upl ... ?width=730
https://www.velonews.com/gear/gravel-ge ... vel-bikes/