Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gavin929

by Gavin929

Specialized has updated their list of cranksets/chainrings that are compatible... You would think this would have been figured out ahead of time but atleast it is promising that more options are out there. They now list all sram axs cranksets as useable up to the 50/37 combo. Still no updates to shimano unfortunately, but maybe more info will come as people test it out.

https://support.specialized.com/crux/en ... ain-brakes

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Well, having to run 30c kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it? An Aethos clears a 34mm wide tire and any chainring.

Still very interesting to hear that it apparently isn't the frame that is the issue here!
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Gavin929 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:21 pm
Specialized has updated their list of cranksets/chainrings that are compatible... You would think this would have been figured out ahead of time but atleast it is promising that more options are out there. They now list all sram axs cranksets as useable up to the 50/37 combo. Still no updates to shimano unfortunately, but maybe more info will come as people test it out.

Even clears the infamous 32/45 chainring 😂.
Thanks for the update, very interesting!
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

dzl

by dzl

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:12 pm
Gavin929 wrote:

Even clears the infamous 32/45 chainring 😂.
Thanks for the update, very interesting!
Doesn't really instill confidence in their findings, does it? :roll:

cbro

by cbro

Gavin929 wrote:

Honestly I'm surprised (but pleased) that there's official support for the regular width AXS 2x setups. I didn't feel very comfortable with the 1mm clearance between the inner chainring bolt and the chainstay and ended up adding 1mm of spacers at the spindle.

ChrisRideLog

by ChrisRideLog

Spesh doesn't look professional at all here. In the very beginning the product manager will define the targeted group sets and configuration. Now changing the compatibility list after release with some clear mistakes inside (32/45) looks quite odd to me. Either the product manager didn't do his job right or the designers or hopefully only the a big mess on information distribution.

We will see where the journey goes ...

Gavin929

by Gavin929

I'm betting it's a communication issue. I asked this question months ago when I was given some inside information on the unreleased crux. I was given more than one different answer from people working at specialized. To be honest, they initially said all sram axs 2x would be compatible up to 50/37. But at release they said wide crankset only. It makes me think there are two different concepts of what is acceptable and what tires will clear without issue.

As far as running a 30c tire... I plan on running bigger than this (38 to 40c). I was just stating that the guy who is actually riding the 50/37 was running a 30c in "road mode". I'm betting you can fit a 40 to 42c tire without rubbing the front derailleur cage on the inside... BUT there is only one way to find out!

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Where does the clearance issue for "non-wide" occur? Does the tire hit the derailleur?
If it's that, we get 2.5mm of added clearance from the "wide" iteration. That's 5mm of added tire clearance.
Considering the bike is rated for 47mm on a 700c wheel, the 42c Pathfinders might still fit fine.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Gavin929

by Gavin929

The rider on Instagram just stated he is running 43c gravel king ss tires and still clears the derailleur just fine. He said he wouldn't go any bigger or he would start getting too close to rubbing the BATTERY on the AXS front derailleur.

Anyone shaved an axs battery :)

dzl

by dzl

If there's only 1mm of clearance from the inside chainring bolts to the stay as cbro and RyanH have shown, that's not enough clearance for me. I know that the spider/chainring is beefy at such a small diameter and that they are not far from the BB, but if you get the bike muddy or ride in pebbly gravel, something could get wedged in there.

Unless someone measures out a normal AXS 2X set up to have more than 1mm of clearance, I think I'm going to buy the Force Wide crankset and front derailleur, as much as I'd hate to increase the Q-factor and run non-standard cranks.

I know that I can get my LBS to do some experimenting with configurations once my bike gets here, but I'd really like to order replacement components sooner rather than later due to all of the supply chain issues affecting all industries.

dzl

by dzl

cbro wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:42 pm
Gavin929 wrote:

!
Honestly I'm surprised (but pleased) that there's official support for the regular width AXS 2x setups. I didn't feel very comfortable with the 1mm clearance between the inner chainring bolt and the chainstay and ended up adding 1mm of spacers at the spindle.
So this is with DUB BB?

You had enough play at the spindle for the additional 1mm spacer on the drive side and still had enough axial width to bottom out the crank assembly and load up the preload collar adequately?

I'm curious, will you just live with the asymmetrical Q-factor or are you also going to shim out your left pedal by 2mm to compensate? Thanks!

cbro

by cbro

dzl wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:27 am
cbro wrote:
Gavin929 wrote:

!
So this is with DUB BB?

You had enough play at the spindle for the additional 1mm spacer on the drive side and still had enough axial width to bottom out the crank assembly and load up the preload collar adequately?

I'm curious, will you just live with the asymmetrical Q-factor or are you also going to shim out your left pedal by 2mm to compensate? Thanks!
It's with a DUB BB, yes. I had asked earlier in the thread whether there was a consensus about the number of spacers that could be added because I share your concern about bottoming out the spindle. I completely backed off the preload collar, installed 1mm of spacers, tightened it up to torque and was able to hand tighten the preload collar a quarter turn. By that logic, I reasoned that the spindle was appropriately seated. But I do not think I would add any more spacers than I did.

I do not think I will do any shimming. If necessary, I will take care of the difference with cleat positioning. The plan is for this to be an n+0 bike, so there are no issues for me in regards to positions across multiple bikes.

dzl

by dzl

cbro wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:22 am
dzl wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:27 am
cbro wrote:
Gavin929 wrote:

!
So this is with DUB BB?

It's with a DUB BB, yes. I had asked earlier in the thread whether there was a consensus about the number of spacers that could be added because I share your concern about bottoming out the spindle. I completely backed off the preload collar, installed 1mm of spacers, tightened it up to torque and was able to hand tighten the preload collar a quarter turn. By that logic, I reasoned that the spindle was appropriately seated. But I do not think I would add any more spacers than I did.

I do not think I will do any shimming. If necessary, I will take care of the difference with cleat positioning. The plan is for this to be an n+0 bike, so there are no issues for me in regards to positions across multiple bikes.
Gotcha. Thanks so much for the detailed response!

This will be my n+0 bike as well. I've been waiting for a frame design to come along that checked all the boxes (looked at OPEN U.P., Allied Able, Supersix EVO CX, etc.) but none excited me like the Crux. I was actually going to put my dream specs on hold and put a deposit down on an Aethos, thinking at the time that what I really wanted was an Aethos+. Light, telepathic ride, classic looks, but with 45mm tire clearance for my 80/20 road to gravel usage. The paintjob on the new Crux Pro sealed the deal for me (polarizing though it is).

NLC86

by NLC86

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:26 pm
LegPower wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:08 pm
NLC86 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:57 pm
What is the real difference between the Fact 12 frameset and the Fact 10 one besides the weight?
The S-Works logo and bragging rights 8)

Besides, this is WW where we spend too much money to make our bikes lighter instead of drinking one less beer the night before! Haha
Since they quote 100g difference, it would be funny to walk up to some one with the S-Works and be like, is that an S-Works? Then squirt out some water in you bottle and be like, look I have one, too. 100ml = 100g.

The 10r frame doesn't come with a seat post.
So, no noticible difference other than weight.....what about durability, ride quality and stiffness?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rolfo

by rolfo

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:09 pm
Well, having to run 30c kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it? An Aethos clears a 34mm wide tire and any chainring.

Still very interesting to hear that it apparently isn't the frame that is the issue here!
Did yu actual fit a 34mm tyre in the aethos? I'm curious, beacause Specialized states only a 32mm will fit.