Crux 2021

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

@Gavin929 mine is the 5 bolt. My SRM Origin seemed to have less clearance when I mocked up the 34t so maybe the chainline is slightly different for Shimano vs SRAM?

I could see chainring bolts also being a problem.
Strava
Not for the sensitive types. My Instagram reviews
The Ex's: I've lost track...

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Co0kieMonster wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:01 pm
For what I have read about the new crux I actually consider selling my Diverge Frame: Tire Clearance is more than enough for me and the looks and weight are far more desirable for me. But on the other hand, looking at Spec's current pricetags and their availability, I have some doubts...
They know you will eventually cave in :wink:

The S brand has its marketing and design dialed!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

I am going to do this same idea. I have a 2021 Diverge and the new Crux looks much more appearing. I am not a fan of the Futureshock in the bike as it seems like another area to fail and is heavy. The crux just seems much nicer. Shame I cannot get one here in France until into next year...

gSporco

by gSporco

maquisard wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:11 am
I am going to do this same idea. I have a 2021 Diverge and the new Crux looks much more appearing. I am not a fan of the Futureshock in the bike as it seems like another area to fail and is heavy. The crux just seems much nicer. Shame I cannot get one here in France until into next year...
If you have a road bike already and a Diverge and plan to keep the road bike I would think the Diverge would be the better option for a 2 bike garage.. The Pros dont seem to have a problem winning the big gravel races in the USA on the Diverge..

If its an only bike then the Crux or Aspero are great choices
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos - Evolving build
Niner RLT 9 Alloy - Stable Mable
Specialized Chisel - Dirty Derick
Retired Cervelo Aspero

maquisard

by maquisard

I have Cervelo R5 which is for road only, plus a Caad10 bad weather bike along with the Diverge and a MTB

I don't ride muddy gravel trails and if I do I use the MTB for this. The DIverge is mainly being used for light gravel trails and in winter. I think a Crux would be a good replacement. I am not a fan of the Futureshock and now knowing it's weight and hassle I would like a bike without it. I also don't do any touring and so no baggage mount points are needed.

I hope I have justified it to you, because I have not to my wife just yet!

gSporco

by gSporco

maquisard wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:33 am
I have Cervelo R5 which is for road only, plus a Caad10 bad weather bike along with the Diverge and a MTB

I don't ride muddy gravel trails and if I do I use the MTB for this. The DIverge is mainly being used for light gravel trails and in winter. I think a Crux would be a good replacement. I am not a fan of the Futureshock and now knowing it's weight and hassle I would like a bike without it. I also don't do any touring and so no baggage mount points are needed.

I hope I have justified it to you, because I have not to my wife just yet!
Lol, the wife will be a hard one... for my approval all you need to say is " I just want a new bike", and I'll say, "yep, you should get one".
@gSporco - Instagram
Retired Cervelo Aspero

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Youtube - "New Specialized Crux Setup as a Road Bike with 2x 50/37, 10-36 and Road Tires"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNUDLfaklCU

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

So he uses a Wide BB and a Wide FD, with the standard road cranks...
I don't understand how this works? Help!
Open WI.DE (2019) - 8.7kg
Specialized Shiv TT Disc (2020) - 7.9kg
Specialized SW Æthos (2021) 6.5kg
Trek Émonda SLR9 (2021) 7.3kg
Specialized SW Crux (2022) 7.9kg

*all weights are race ready bikes, large frame size.
Sold: SW Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team

ryanw

by ryanw

They only way I see it working is that the NDS crank arm is only secured by and handful of threads since the spindle is 5mm shorter than it needs to be using the wide BB.
SL7 S-Works - 6.59kg
OPEN U.P.P.E.R. - 6.69kg
www.rhinosworkshop.co.uk
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Gavin929

by Gavin929

Correct me if I am wrong, but the dub WIDE bottom bracket for BSA bottom brackets is just the standard dub bottom bracket with extra spacers included.

When I installed the standard spindle length dub quarq crankset I had a little wiggle room for maybe an extra 1mm spacer (maybe squeeze in a 2mm). There was not room to put any more spacers and once tightened to 54Nm it would cause significant drag if you used more than that.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Since the spindle isn't getting any longer by using another BB, and you wouldn't want to install any spindle with wiggle room, I don't see this making any difference.
So if the position of the chainrings is just the same Position as usually, would the wide FD make any difference?
Ultimately, it is the same construction, so to shift properly, it will have to be set so far inward, that the clearance is the exact same as with a normal AXS FD..
Am I missing something?

gSporco

by gSporco

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:24 pm
Since the spindle isn't getting any longer by using another BB, and you wouldn't want to install any spindle with wiggle room, I don't see this making any difference.
So if the position of the chainrings is just the same Position as usually, would the wide FD make any difference?
Ultimately, it is the same construction, so to shift properly, it will have to be set so far inward, that the clearance is the exact same as with a normal AXS FD..
Am I missing something?
The Wide FD installs with greater width between the tire and the battery compared to Non wide FD. The issue arises when using a Wide FD on the AXS normal length spindle, you will be running your high and low limit screws to the end.

Maybe he is just running more than 3mm spacer on the DS to account for the wide FD and he is calling it a Wide BB.. who knows
@gSporco - Instagram
Retired Cervelo Aspero

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Oh, stupid thought by me.
Of course the battery is fixed in place and doesn't move with the adjustment of the FD.

ryanw

by ryanw

Gavin929 wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:12 pm
Correct me if I am wrong, but the dub WIDE bottom bracket for BSA bottom brackets is just the standard dub bottom bracket with extra spacers included.
Yep, all the new SRAM BBs come with two black 2.5mm spacers (rings) that go in between the frame and cups.

Still, if using a standard length spindle and requiring a 3mm on the DS with the preload adjuster on the NDS, the spindle would most definitely be too short.
SL7 S-Works - 6.59kg
OPEN U.P.P.E.R. - 6.69kg
www.rhinosworkshop.co.uk
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

Ah, I was wondering what the metal spacers were for.

For those that are adverse to using the wide crankset or don't want to take the weight penalty, you should be able to get rid of the plastic preload adjuster and use a wave washer plus spacers to align the crank more or less to the drive side.
Strava
Not for the sensitive types. My Instagram reviews
The Ex's: I've lost track...