Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

req110

by req110

You wouldn't regret. Thunderos are good enough generally. And great for the price.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

Basscadet

by Basscadet

fa63 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:47 am
I have spent some time on a friend's Open U.P. and I currently own a Crux. The Crux is a better bike in every aspect in my opinion, both on the road and on gravel. Better comfort all around, better tire clearance for gravel, none of the poorly thought-out frame details that is on the Open U.P. (press-fit BB, awful internal routing, etc.).
photocycler wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:18 am
Curious if anyone has ridden both a crux and open u.p.? I have a crux and do like it but wanting something more road oriented that can still handle larger tires for occasional gravel. My crux has been doing well in all road mode but just wondering if the open would better suited.
I loved my UP, honestly one of the best bikes I've ever owned, but I completely agree with everything you say here. I'd also add that in a size L I had horrible toe overlap on my UP.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

I now own a Crux and looked at the UP prior to buying. I am a Vroomen fan so really wanted to like the UP and it felt more 'exclusive' than yet another Specialized.

However the Crux just felt like a much better bike. The design of the UP needs a refresh and the Crux just feels like a much more refined and better finished product. I ride the Crux on the road as much as one gravel and it is a great bike for both.

req110

by req110

Guys, is seatpost or stem included with fact10r frameset?
I am afraid it's not as it's not pictured. S-Works Crux frameset is pictured with seatpost and it's mentioned in specs too.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

mlosco

by mlosco

req110 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:50 pm
Guys, is seatpost or stem included with fact10r frameset?
I am afraid it's not as it's not pictured. S-Works Crux frameset is pictured with seatpost and it's mentioned in specs too.
No, neither is included with the 10R frameset.

Basscadet

by Basscadet

What are the Force components I would need to convert the Crux Pro to a 2x setup? FD, RD, cassette, crankset...anything else?

Reason I ask is that the framesets are nowhere to be found locally, there are some Pros and Experts, and I'd like to get a bike I can ride as we enter the bad weather season.

photocycler

by photocycler

You need to order the front derailleur hanger from specialized.

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

fa63 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:47 am
I have spent some time on a friend's Open U.P. and I currently own a Crux. The Crux is a better bike in every aspect in my opinion, both on the road and on gravel. Better comfort all around, better tire clearance for gravel, none of the poorly thought-out frame details that is on the Open U.P. (press-fit BB, awful internal routing, etc.).
photocycler wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:18 am
Curious if anyone has ridden both a crux and open u.p.? I have a crux and do like it but wanting something more road oriented that can still handle larger tires for occasional gravel. My crux has been doing well in all road mode but just wondering if the open would better suited.
I owned a Open for 3 years, and it was one of the best bikes I have ever owned in my life. Just recently moved to a Crux and sold the Open. Originally, was regretting spending the money on a new bike, but now that I have spent 3 a solid months on the Crux, I can honestly say I made the right decison. I switched wheels and tires from the Open to the Crux so my comparison is solid. I just find the Crux to be that much faster of a bike, think road bike with bigger tire clearance. A lot of my gravel rides involve a fair amount of road or light gravel, and the Crux never feels sluggish. I have also been able to take some of the corners on the Crux much faster than on the Open. I do my standard Gravel route about once a week, so know the corners very well. Just last week, managed to get 3 KOM, and per Strava I have done those segments over 80 times. THese are short segments on a gravel path with corners. No climbing.
Other benefits of the Crux, able to run a Power Meter on the crank (no space on the Open) wider tire clearance (will be limited for me, as I mostly run 40, but might run bigger for a particular stage race next year)

What I might give the Open the better bike, when it comes to very rough gravel, but again tirre, wheels and tire pressure plays a big factor. We are coming into my favourite part of the year, where I switch to my 650 B wheels with 42 tires at 23PSI and hit a lot of single track. I think the quick handling of the Crux will play a big part in this being great in those conditions.

Basscadet

by Basscadet

photocycler wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:33 am
You need to order the front derailleur hanger from specialized.

Thank you...

And beautiful bike BTW!

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Ready for CX season.

maquisard

by maquisard

Blue and Pink is a cool combo! Like it

dzl

by dzl

Basscadet wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:16 am
What are the Force components I would need to convert the Crux Pro to a 2x setup? FD, RD, cassette, crankset...anything else?

Reason I ask is that the framesets are nowhere to be found locally, there are some Pros and Experts, and I'd like to get a bike I can ride as we enter the bad weather season.
I would recommend that you get the Force WIDE front derailleur and WIDE crankset. I tried using the regular 2X crankset and the inner chain ring bolts had only 1mm clearance to the chain stay. WIDE Front derailleur also gives you increased tire clearance.

Basscadet

by Basscadet

dzl wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:44 pm
Basscadet wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:16 am

I would recommend that you get the Force WIDE front derailleur and WIDE crankset. I tried using the regular 2X crankset and the inner chain ring bolts had only 1mm clearance to the chain stay. WIDE Front derailleur also gives you increased tire clearance.
This is very helpful - thank you!

fritzbox

by fritzbox

New Bike day :D

TheDoctor

by TheDoctor

fritzbox wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:39 pm
New Bike day :D
Congratulations!!! I've got a frame and parts on the way, can't wait...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com