Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Interesting. Perhaps the S Works model will be lighter and more expensive? The only criticism of the existing model is that it's heavy, otherwise it's an excellent tyre and sold at a decent price.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

I ran 38mm Pathfinders last year on my Diverge which I used as a winter bike for commuting and solo riding. I was impressed by how fast they were given the size and weight. They are no great when there is any mud but the hard pack trails and road use they are great. I would definitely like a 32/33mm version.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

meh, give me a terreno dry. as good as it gets IMO

fizzaz

by fizzaz

If these are lighter, a bit quicker, and mostly as durable? There is no better gravel tire atm.

rothwem

by rothwem

maquisard wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:27 pm
I ran 38mm Pathfinders last year on my Diverge which I used as a winter bike for commuting and solo riding. I was impressed by how fast they were given the size and weight. They are no great when there is any mud but the hard pack trails and road use they are great. I would definitely like a 32/33mm version.
Maybe my rims just weren't wide enough (20mm), but I had trouble with getting the tire pressure right, it seemed like if it was high enought that it didn't feel sluggish and wobbly, I had the "fall off a cliff" feeling when I leaned it over and off the center ridge. I like the casing though, and I've found that I like the Tracer (same casing I think) a lot more than the Pathfinder.
CampagYOLO wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:20 pm
Interesting. Perhaps the S Works model will be lighter and more expensive? The only criticism of the existing model is that it's heavy, otherwise it's an excellent tyre and sold at a decent price.
That's my guess. If there's anything that Specialized has learned, its that there's a lot of room at the top of the market. People seem to be buying the hell out of souped up Panaracer slicks by Compass at $90, why wouldn't Specialized want to jump in on that game?

RyanH

by RyanH

Actual weights for the 10r frame in size 52 here:

viewtopic.php?p=1708901#p1708901

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

52cm? cant tell. either way, that's really good. easily 150g lighter than old frame even with BSA and conventional post clamp. fork is maybe ~30-40g lighter length-for-length than old fork? still not worth replacing existing crux as a CX bike, but still compelling.

the S-works premium is clearly margin-heavy. very deep into the value-based pricing realm.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Still trying to make AXS for gravel work for me, and the more I think about XPLR, the more I dislike it.
It is great, if you never ride super steep stuff in the forests or don't race (with high speed sections). Annoyingly, I need it for both and a 40/44 (0.91) makes for a quite challenging gear for steep 20% ramps in the forests, while a 40t upfront will have me too much in the 11t and 10t for my liking.

SRAM Force Wide 2x would be awesome, but all Powermeter options are clunky as hell.

With 46/33 officially not compatible and me not being interested in switching away from SRAM, this leaves me with 1x Mullet.

Trying to maintain a large range, yet not having the worst possible chainline most of the time, the best option for me appears to be 44/46t up front with 10-52 in the back.
According to specialized, the frame clears 42t easily and 44t narrowly.
I had a 44t on my open wide and that was a bad experience. The chainring is as super close to the frame (maybe 2mm or so) and when my chain came off, it got stuck between frame and chainring which really sucked.
If it was this narrow also on the Crux, this is not an option for me, leaving me with only a wide crank.

As I understand, SRAM does not currently make Red level wide spindles, so the lightest option would be:
- SRAM Force Wide Crank
- Quarq Dub AXS PM
- SRAM Red 46t chainring
- SRAM Eagle XX1 AXS RD
- SRAM 1299 10-52 cassette

Is that correct? Am I overlooking something?
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

RyanH

by RyanH

Not sure what the dimensions differences are but an XX1 Quarq may be lighter than Force wide. The other option is power pedals. Garmin , SRM and converted assiomas are an option.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

According to the data I could find XX1 has a Q factor or 168mm vs 150.5mm on Force and Rival Wide, vs 145mm on SRAM Red AXS.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Matte86

by Matte86

According to the 3T blog you should be able to swap the force crank and install some Red ones in order to save weight and eliminate the wider q-factor

https://blog.3t.bike/2020/05/14290/sram ... bike-tech/

Regarding your pm question I’ve looked for some solutions as well, and the only one I come up is using a PM pedal based one. Quite annoying because I see myself switching from a road pedal to a mtb one based on the terrain/race

henau212

by henau212

justRideIt wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:55 am
whinefields wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:47 pm
Quick question for the group. If I wanted to set the Crux up as a 2x, I understand that I'd need to use GRX. Am I correct that this power meter would not work? https://power2max.cc/collections/gravel ... ng-package

I see it says GRX spacing, but then they go on to list that the crank has a narrower q-force. Wouldn't that mean that the larger chain ring would run up against the frame?
I run the Power2Max NG Gravel (not Eco) on my Specialized Diverge and have replaced the Shimano GRX crankset. Was a 1:1 swap.
Maybe this information helps to confirm with your dealer if the Power2Max fits the new Crux.

However, I can confirm what henau212: the chainrings are custom made. It is a one-piece construction, no two separate chainrings, which you could replace separately.
Not very widely used (at least for 2x configuration) 104 Bolt Circle Diameter. It is made by Rotor in Spain for Power2Max.
I did not find fitting offerings (48/31 teeth) for the power meter on bike24 or r2-bike.
So I ordered from Power2Max directly, 130€ incl. shipping.
Maybe also something you want to consider.
Like I said, new version from P2M is supposed to be coming. That one will fit the original GRX chainrings...

dzl

by dzl

Hey all,

Long time lurker, 1st time poster. I am in a similar situaton. The new Crux checks a lot of boxes for me, and so I put a down payment on the new Crux Pro, but want 2X and a spider-based PM so that I can use road and MTB pedals.

Like FlatlandClimber said, the Force XPLR 1X crankset has a longer axle and takes the Quarq spider-based PM. We know that SRAM 43/30 Wide 2X works fits the bike (the 43/30 crankset uses the same axle as the XLPR 1X, I'm thinking) and that GRX does too.

So maybe a Force XLPR 1X crankset, Quarq spider-based PM and 46/33 will work? It should have the same 2.5mm offset chainline as the SRAM 43/30 and GRX right? Then the only issue is whether the 33 inner ring will clear. Maybe it will since the GRX 31 ring does?

I don't understand why SRAM made the XLPR rear derailleur 1X only. Does that mean it can't communicate at all with a front derr? That must be software locked.
I also don't understand why Specialized saw fit to spec a XPLR rear derailleur and cassette, but not the XLPR 1X crankset. That means more $ investment to see if the configuration listed above works.

Last thing, I know that for a while, SRAM made a 51mm offset Force AXS 2X crankset for Cannondale's Ai offset. If we can source that crankset, might that be another option to allow for use of the 46/33 2X rings and a Quarq PM with adequate clearance?

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

dzl wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:18 pm
Hey all,

Long time lurker, 1st time poster. I am in a similar situaton. The new Crux checks a lot of boxes for me, and so I put a down payment on the new Crux Pro, but want 2X and a spider-based PM so that I can use road and MTB pedals.

Like FlatlandClimber said, the Force XPLR 1X crankset has a longer axle and takes the Quarq spider-based PM. We know that SRAM 43/30 Wide 2X works fits the bike (the 43/30 crankset uses the same axle as the XLPR 1X, I'm thinking) and that GRX does too.

So maybe a Force XLPR 1X crankset, Quarq spider-based PM and 46/33 will work? It should have the same 2.5mm offset chainline as the SRAM 43/30 and GRX right? Then the only issue is whether the 33 inner ring will clear. Maybe it will since the GRX 31 ring does?

I don't understand why SRAM made the XLPR rear derailleur 1X only. Does that mean it can't communicate at all with a front derr? That must be software locked.
I also don't understand why Specialized saw fit to spec a XPLR rear derailleur and cassette, but not the XLPR 1X crankset. That means more $ investment to see if the configuration listed above works.

Last thing, I know that for a while, SRAM made a 51mm offset Force AXS 2X crankset for Cannondale's Ai offset. If we can source that crankset, might that be another option to allow for use of the 46/33 2X rings and a Quarq PM with adequate clearance?
I could be wrong, since there are so many SRAM confirgurations, but I do not think there is SRAM XPLR specific crankset-there is a Wide Force cranskset, which also requires a wide BB, wide FD, and med cage RD that I believe you and FlatandClimber are referring to. I think you could use the PM spider, but not sure if the 46/33 combo would work-wouldn't the larger than GRX inner ring potentially cause an issue?

I am still waffling between what I think will be the lower weight of Red XPLR and the range and quality of GRX 2X. As has been previously posted, I think I can use the P2M Gravel spider and rings and P2M has confirmed with me that the chainline is the same as GRX-thinking of going with the Aldhu arms.

dzl

by dzl

cycleboyco wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:45 pm

I could be wrong, since there are so many SRAM confirgurations, but I do not think there is SRAM XPLR specific crankset-there is a Wide Force cranskset, which also requires a wide BB, wide FD, and med cage RD that I believe you and FlatandClimber are referring to. I think you could use the PM spider, but not sure if the 46/33 combo would work-wouldn't the larger than GRX inner ring potentially cause an issue?

I am still waffling between what I think will be the lower weight of Red XPLR and the range and quality of GRX 2X. As has been previously posted, I think I can use the P2M Gravel spider and rings and P2M has confirmed with me that the chainline is the same as GRX-thinking of going with the Aldhu arms.
The XPLR 1X crankset were introduced with the rest of the XPLR line: https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/fc-frc-1w-d1

The specs say it uses a wider spindle and has a 47.5mm chainline, just like the Force Wide 2X 43/30 crankset. I'm thinking that they share the same spindle.

I am hoping that the 33 inner ring will clear and that Specialized didn't confirm this option works because it is not a stock configuration that you can buy off the shelf (fingers crossed).

So the build would be:

Force 1X XPLR crankset (with 1X ring removed)
Quarq PM
46/33 chainrings
Force WIDE front der
Force WIDE rear der
10/33 cassette

I guess I could always use a GRX crankset and crankarm based PM, but would hate to have a frankenstein setup on this bike.

The thing I don't like about the P2M setup is that the chainrings are custom to that set up since the 2.5mm offset is done in the chainrings, right? Which makes it a pain if you want to change rings or try different ratios. Also harder to swap between 1X and 2X if you want to.

The SRAM Force Ai offset crank gives you 1mm more spindle length than the Force wide, I think. That extra 0.5mm might be enough to get a 33 inner ring to clear, maybe?

All this conjecture is fun to explore, but also a bit stressful...lol

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com