Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

cbro

by cbro

So, up on the stand it looks like the limiter on the SRAM AXS 2X setup with the regular width spindle is the distance between the inside chainring bolts and the chainstay, rather than the chainring teeth. Measures out at about 1mm with a feeler.

Seems like the options are:
1. Live with it, hope everything is stiff enough around that area to avoid issues.
2. Round down edges of those bolts, giving another 0.5mm or so of clearance.
3. Switch to the wide axle, giving a more comfortable 3.5mm of clearance (but wider Q factor).

ChrisRideLog

by ChrisRideLog

I got one more additional weight from a bike store, the first gloss colored frame.

Frame weight summary

Claimed frame weight by Specialized
725g | 56cm | S-Works Crux (12R)
825g | 56cm | Crux (10R)

Actual frame weight
780g | 56cm | S-Works Crux (12R) | Satin Carbon/Spectraflair/Gloss Abalone
790g | 56cm | S-Works Crux (12R) | Satin Brushed Liquid Silver/Gloss Black/Smoke Marble/Gold Diamond Dust
860g | 52cm | Crux (10R) | Satin Dusty Blue/Ice Papaya // Fork: 400g
870g | 52cm | Crux (10R) | Gloss Coral Lilac Fade/Carbon/Limestone/Papaya/Grey/Black

Looking forward for more input :beerchug:
Last edited by ChrisRideLog on Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

spartacus wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:46 am
I already said this and was ignored so for the last time you can space out the shimano BB cups because the spindles are long enough to also work on ITA shells which are wider than BSA,
You're not fitting the spindle to the shell, you're fitting it to the cups. Are ITA cups themselves the exact same width as BSA cups?

Basscadet

by Basscadet

I appreciate all the responses to my question, this forum is such an excellent resource. I have the luck (or problem) of finding enjoying qualities in just about every bike I've ridden, seems it is impossible to combine those qualities in a single bike as those ride characteristics work against each other.

cerro

by cerro

bikewithnoname wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:11 am
Basscadet wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:32 am
What are your thoughts on this bike vs. Aethos with 28-32mm tires for riding that is entirely asphalt or rough, mixed-use paths? Already have a Caledonia 5 Di2 and Open UP Di2, want a third bike and can't make my mind up between the Crux and Aethos.
You have an UP, which is essentially the same as a Crux, you have a Caledonia which is essentially the same as an Aethos.

By all means get yourself a new bike, it's nice to have new things, but it's unlikely either of those bikes will offer anything new that is tangible (other than less weight in the case of the Aethos vs Caledonia)
UP vs Crux I can buy, but more 700 clearance and lighter weight on the Crux. But Aethos and Caledonia are 2 totally different bikes. Aethos is light, no special parts or integration and made to be fun and agile on road. The Caledonia is all integration endurance roadbike with pretty high stack and not as racy geo as the Aethos.

FuelForThought

by FuelForThought

cbro wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:36 pm
So, up on the stand it looks like the limiter on the SRAM AXS 2X setup with the regular width spindle is the distance between the inside chainring bolts and the chainstay, rather than the chainring teeth. Measures out at about 1mm with a feeler.
Thanks for the info! What chainrings are you running?

cbro

by cbro

FuelForThought wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:32 pm
cbro wrote:
Thanks for the info! What chainrings are you running?
I've got a 48/35 on there right now.

LegPower

by LegPower

cbro wrote:

1. Live with it, hope everything is stiff enough around that area to avoid issues.
3. Switch to the wide axle, giving a more comfortable 3.5mm of clearance (but wider Q factor).
Could you go with the integrated Red rings so there aren't any chainring bolts?

cbro

by cbro

LegPower wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:54 pm
cbro wrote:

Could you go with the integrated Red rings so there aren't any chainring bolts?
Good question, I'm not sure. This is with the Force 48/35 spider. All else equal, if those bolts weren't there the next-closest gap would be between the chainring and the chainstay, which is a hair greater than 2 mm.

Ridinghigh

by Ridinghigh

cbro wrote:

What about throwing a 1 mm spacer on the drive side spindle?

cbro

by cbro

Ridinghigh wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:26 pm
cbro wrote:

I was thinking about that. I have a bunch of 0.5mm spacers. Is there a consensus on how many can be added before it interferes with full seating of the crank on the splines?

RyanH

by RyanH

I need to figure out why my headset is creaking...

Ridinghigh

by Ridinghigh

cbro wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:12 pm
Ridinghigh wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:26 pm
cbro wrote:

I was thinking about that. I have a bunch of 0.5mm spacers. Is there a consensus on how many can be added before it interferes with full seating of the crank on the splines?
Wouldn't you just loosen the bearing preload ring? It definitely has 1 mm of lateral adjustment.

LegPower

by LegPower

Got my frame. Size 54 black / gold color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisRideLog

by ChrisRideLog

Frame weight summary

Claimed frame weight by Specialized
725g | 56cm | S-Works Crux (12R)
825g | 56cm | Crux (10R)

Actual frame weight
747g | 54cm | S-Works Crux (12R) | Satin Brushed Liquid Silver/Gloss Black/Smoke Marble/Gold Diamond Dust
780g | 56cm | S-Works Crux (12R) | Satin Carbon/Spectraflair/Gloss Abalone
790g | 56cm | S-Works Crux (12R) | Satin Brushed Liquid Silver/Gloss Black/Smoke Marble/Gold Diamond Dust
860g | 52cm | Crux (10R) | Satin Dusty Blue/Ice Papaya // Fork: 400g
870g | 52cm | Crux (10R) | Gloss Coral Lilac Fade/Carbon/Limestone/Papaya/Grey/Black

Looking forward for more input :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com