Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

kode54

by kode54

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:42 pm
I will take a few better pictures on the weekend.
This is all standard width FD and crank. 170mm crank, 46/33 chainrings. I will measure the tire clearance tomorrow, but this 40mm TerraSpeed on a 25mm interval Enve hookless, has plenty of clearance.
But yes, the battery is the problem, not the chainrings.
Open or Crux?

Crux looks great.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

BRyder

by BRyder

Might be an obvious answer to those familiar with SRAM.
Whilst the Rival cranks are heavy. If you add the spindle power meter in or use Force with the spider based PM. Does Rival end up being the better option?

Also can either of the power meters be used in a 1x or 2x system.

I'm trying to decide which Crux model will be better for me. I would like to be able to have 2x and 1x as an option with out having to buy 2pm.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Basscadet

by Basscadet

sib wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:35 am
Hoping to see a ride report and comparison with your Aethos after you've spent some more time in the saddle..!!
I'll second that. Ride impressions vs the Aethos would be excellent. How much agility and "tossability" are you losing with the Crux vs it's lighter brother Aethos? Trying to decide whether to gravel-up an Aethos or road-up a Crux for my rough tarmac riding.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Loving the Crux so far.
It's nimble and fast. But also it also eats up rough roads well.
It's hard comparing it to the Aethos really. I'd say they are definitely similar, but the wide gravely tire make it feel a little less snappy. Besides that, phenomenal. Really KOM hungry machine.

One interesting thing:
I tried attaching the Silca Titanium cage to the underside of the down tube, it was extremely close to the inner ring. I tried shifting it, and it worked - but the chain lightly touched the cage during the shifting. I opted for a slimmer gorilla cage instead and that holds the spares well and has sufficient clearance to the inner ring.
Last edited by FlatlandClimber on Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Basscadet

by Basscadet

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:42 pm
Loving the Crux so far.
It's nimble and fast. But also it also eats up rough roads well.
It's hard comparing it to the Aethos really. I'd say they are definitely similar, but the wide gravely tire make it feel a little less snappy. Besides that, phenomenal. Really KOM hungry machine.

One interesting thing:
I tried attaching the Silca Titanium cage to the underside of the down tube, it was extremely close to the inner ring. I tried shifting it, and it worked - but the chain lightly touched the cage during the shifting. I opened for a slimmer gorilla cage instead and that holds the spares well and has sufficient clearance to the inner ring.
Thanks for the feedback FlatlandClimber :thumbup:

simbikotic

by simbikotic

Looking for some geometry help/advice.

*background* I have been buying up the parts for my first gravel build. Also having much frame indescision. I had been avoiding the Crux simply becuse I already own an Aethos and it seemed silly to own two - but I can't ignore it any more, it just ticks too many boxes....

*the problem* I am 176cm tall with 83cm inseam. I ride with 72-73cm between the bb and the saddle. I Ride a size 54 Aethos with a 100mm stem and that feels just perfect. On the Aethos the 48cm seat tube gives me 24 cm for seatpost and saddle, which seems respectable and good for comfort.

The Crux size 54 is taller and longer (for gravel reasons I guess) so length wise I can run with a 90mm stem for the same fit more or less (makes sense). But the seattube is 52.1 cm. Giving only 20cm for seatpost and saddle. Using an Alpinist seatpost this would put the clamp about 1-2 cm under the "max insertion indicator". This is especially confusing to me as the Specialized 'size guide' reccomends size 54 for people in the height range 168-175cm. So I am over height but at max insertion for the seatpost? :noidea:

If I downsize to a 52, I get back to a geometry closer to my 54 Aethos - with lots of post out for cool look and comfort. But what am I missing? I quess the geometry is this way for a reason. Will I lose something in handling on gravel?

Interested to know what other owners have done here. Downsize or follow the size guide.

RyanH

by RyanH

I did a day in the Santa Monica's yesterday on the Crux and it was once again really impressive. Every descent I did that I didn't stand around in the segment for one reason or another, I set a meaningful PR on. We had to stop midway down Piuma since Drake flatted but despite it being wet, I was over 10s ahead of my PR. There's something about the Crux that makes it go downhill with tons of confidence. It has that rare character trait that you know you can just dig a little deeper and make the turn tighter than you thought. I assume the Aethos would be the same or better but I've ridden a lot of road bikes in my time and the last one that I can think of that felt this way going downhill was the Evo (another Denk design).

Here's the ride:

https://www.strava.com/activities/6285047669

boots2000

by boots2000

My saddle height is similar to yours- 72.6cm. I chose a 54cm. I mocked it up on Bikecad before ordering. It looks quite proportional. I would think a 52cm frame would be somewhat undersized looking.
But I would choose your size based on stack and stem length. For me, I can ride a 54cm with 5mm of spacers and a -6 degree 110mm stem. If I chose a 52cm, stem would be much longer and I would have much more spacer stack. Also- Front center will be shorter on a 52cm frame. Not an issue if riding mostly road, but short front center sucks offroad. I wear size 45 shoes and run my cleats somewhat far back on my shoes.
simbikotic wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:42 am
Looking for some geometry help/advice.

*background* I have been buying up the parts for my first gravel build. Also having much frame indescision. I had been avoiding the Crux simply becuse I already own an Aethos and it seemed silly to own two - but I can't ignore it any more, it just ticks too many boxes....

*the problem* I am 176cm tall with 83cm inseam. I ride with 72-73cm between the bb and the saddle. I Ride a size 54 Aethos with a 100mm stem and that feels just perfect. On the Aethos the 48cm seat tube gives me 24 cm for seatpost and saddle, which seems respectable and good for comfort.

The Crux size 54 is taller and longer (for gravel reasons I guess) so length wise I can run with a 90mm stem for the same fit more or less (makes sense). But the seattube is 52.1 cm. Giving only 20cm for seatpost and saddle. Using an Alpinist seatpost this would put the clamp about 1-2 cm under the "max insertion indicator". This is especially confusing to me as the Specialized 'size guide' reccomends size 54 for people in the height range 168-175cm. So I am over height but at max insertion for the seatpost? :noidea:

If I downsize to a 52, I get back to a geometry closer to my 54 Aethos - with lots of post out for cool look and comfort. But what am I missing? I quess the geometry is this way for a reason. Will I lose something in handling on gravel?

Interested to know what other owners have done here. Downsize or follow the size guide.

NealH

by NealH

Nice ride Ryan. A hundred feet per mile is always a good solid workout.

Basscadet

by Basscadet

RyanH wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:48 am
I did a day in the Santa Monica's yesterday on the Crux and it was once again really impressive. Every descent I did that I didn't stand around in the segment for one reason or another, I set a meaningful PR on. We had to stop midway down Piuma since Drake flatted but despite it being wet, I was over 10s ahead of my PR. There's something about the Crux that makes it go downhill with tons of confidence. It has that rare character trait that you know you can just dig a little deeper and make the turn tighter than you thought. I assume the Aethos would be the same or better but I've ridden a lot of road bikes in my time and the last one that I can think of that felt this way going downhill was the Evo (another Denk design).

Here's the ride:

https://www.strava.com/activities/6285047669
239 BPM? Beast!

But seriously, impressive ride. Would love to find either bike for sale near me!

RyanH

by RyanH

@simbikotic you and I are dimensionally close, I'm 175cm with 82cm inseam and run a 72cm saddle height which is how my Crux is posted a few back. The Crux is roughly 2cm taller than the corresponding Aethos size for a slightly more relaxed fit. Now, I'm running mine in full road mode with a 140mm -12 stem and a STS cover but that nets me a 9.5cm saddle to bar drop.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Stack and reach are most important when sizing a frame. I think the Crux has a higher top tube to make more room in the frame for shouldering the bike vs. the Aethos. With the range of seatposts available you can usually get your saddle in the right position on a bike that is one size under and one size over your correct size.

For me I'd want the bike "correct" or on the larger side for offroad use to minimise issues with toe overlap and to avoid too much weight over the front wheel.

simbikotic wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:42 am

simbikotic

by simbikotic

Thanks all. This is really helpful.
@RyanH - I took a look at your posts (and build thread). Firstly: Awesome build! I have an Ekar group ready to go for this build too. It looks like you downsized to 52 and that you are primary focussed on road riding? This makes total sense. The stack/reach of the 52 Crux is closer to that of the 54 Aethos, so an awsome road machine. Curious if you are riding gravel on it at all and how that's going?

@boots2000, @petromyzon - Thanks, I am understanding the tradeoffs much better now. As I am planning to use this bike almost exclusively for offroad with fat tires, your advice seems like the way to go. Talking to my LBS now to see if I can sit on one and try it out. @boots2000 - do you have any pics of your 54 build? Would love to see it...

RyanH

by RyanH

@simbikotic If I bought an Aethos it'd be a 52 as well but with a -6 stem (slammed). I ride a fairly aggressive fit so the Crux is slightly more relaxed than I'd prefer but it's only 5mm or so off.

I don't intend to off-road it because anything around here is better suited for a mountain bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

A few details on tire clearance to the battery and current weight with double power meters (still figuring out which chainring to go with).
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7