Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

rolfo

by rolfo

Just ordered a Crux comp (bike), which I want to set-up with a force 2x drivetrain, but I cannot find the front derailleur hanger...

Does anyone know an address in Europe where these are in stock? Seems to be the same as the Aethos version. Model nr. S201900005

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheDoctor

by TheDoctor

rolfo wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:52 pm
Just ordered a Crux comp (bike), which I want to set-up with a force 2x drivetrain, but I cannot find the front derailleur hanger...

Does anyone know an address in Europe where these are in stock? Seems to be the same as the Aethos version. Model nr. S201900005

Thanks!
That is the correct part number; this and other relevant part numbers can be found here: https://support.specialized.com/crux/en ... nformation

I believe Specialized does not sell these directly to consumers, they have to be ordered through dealers. If there is a Specialized dealer near you, that would probably be quickest (and cheapest).
Online you could look at e.g. Pro-M-Store https://www.pro-mstore.com/en/specializ ... 5-64828731, Bike24 (who don't list this item but could perhaps order it if you send them an email), IBKsport etc.
( oh and one Dutch store mentioned them as in stock but when I placed it in the basket it changed to out of stock)

rolfo

by rolfo

TheDoctor wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:21 pm
rolfo wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:52 pm

Thanks!
That is the correct part number; this and other relevant part numbers can be found here: https://support.specialized.com/crux/en ... nformation

I believe Specialized does not sell these directly to consumers, they have to be ordered through dealers. If there is a Specialized dealer near you, that would probably be quickest (and cheapest).
Online you could look at e.g. Pro-M-Store https://www.pro-mstore.com/en/specializ ... 5-64828731, Bike24 (who don't list this item but could perhaps order it if you send them an email), IBKsport etc.
( oh and one Dutch store mentioned them as in stock but when I placed it in the basket it changed to out of stock)
Thanks ;-) Pro M store is a google hit but don't have them. Was looking where it would be in stock, but it seems Specialized don't have them in stock..

rolfo

by rolfo

dzl wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:01 pm
dzl wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:56 am
dzl wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:08 pm
nfosterma wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:59 pm

Did you ever figure out if if the non-wide SRAM 2X crankset will work with the Crux? I have the 54 cm frame sitting in my basement, and I'm just trying to figure out if I can use a "traditional" 2X set of cranks, and the wide front derailleur. I already have a set of Red 2X cranks, so if it would be ideal if I could use these (46/33) instead of purchasing something new. My plans are to run 40mm - 42mm tires, so I'm trying to figure out the right combo between cranks (tradtional or wide) and FD (traditional or wide) that provide the right amount of clearance for the inner ring, and proper front-end shifting.

I have considered a 1X, and I have studied the gear charts, and there are few big jumps in the ratios that just gives me a little pause on this solution. Any feedback would be greatly appreicated.
I have my Crux Pro complete bike and all of the parts to try this out....except the front derailleur mount. I guess complete bikes don't come with that. It's on order, and hopefully I'll get it soon.

I have:
- the WIDE Force front der
- normal Force crankset, powermeter and 46/33 rings
- wide crankset (just in case I need it)

Oh, FYI, one thing to note for those that will eventually get the WIDE crankset....it requires 2.5mm and 5.5mm spindle spacers. The Crux comes with a 3.0mm spindle spacer on the drive side for the normal cranks. The WIDE crankset does not come with the spacers it needs. For some reason, you only get those spacers if you buy a DUB wide bottom bracket, which is just the normal 68mm bottom bracket with 2.5 and 5.5mm spacers.

Once again, the way SRAM packages its components makes no sense to me. Why would you include the spacers with the BB that doesn't change regardless of crank width? The appropriate spacers logically should come with crankset.
I received the front derailleur mount today and am pleased to say that running a normal Force AXS 2X crank with a Force WIDE derailleur works fine....at least on the work stand.

I have a 52cm Crux Pro with the following set up:

- regular Force 2X crankset, 170cm
- 46/33 rings
- SRAM AXS Force spider power meter
- 10/33 cassette
- Force 36T rear derailleur
- stock Roval Terra CL wheelset
- stock 38cm Pathfinder tires

With this setup, my rear Pathfinder is coming in at 39.3mm wide. At that tire width, I can just fit an 8mm hex key laterally between the tire and the front derailleur battery, which is the gating item. The next closest thing is the wedge spacer to support the derailleur to the mount. That gap is more radial than lateral, and there's at least 10mm of gap there.

In terms of front derailleur adjustment, obviously the limiting factor (no pun intended) is low limit adjustment towards the frame. I'd say when adjusted well, you still have half to one full turn of the lower limit screw towards the frame. Adjusting the upper limit will not be an issue.

So the set up shifts fine on the stand, but it's not tested on the road in anger and won't be for some time since there's still a bunch of snow on the ground and more on the way this weekend. But with at least half a turn adjustment still available for the lower limit, I hope it will work fine. That being said, I still installed a chain stopper to mitigate chain drops to the inside.

Sorry for the long post. I hope this helps someone else on the thread.
I may have spoke too soon. The WIDE front derailleur seems to work fine with standard 2X cranks...but I had forgotten about Cpro and his earlier mentions of iner chainring bolt clearance to the seatstay.

Looking at that area, there is only 1mm of clearance between the inner chain ring bolts and the seatstay with a Force 2X set up. That's not enough for me as I intend to participate in a lot of gravel events this year. So I guess I will go with WIDE crankset as well to get an additional 2.5mm of clearance.
Is anyone still driving a standard 33/46 sram Force crankset in combination with the Sram force wide front derailleur? Or did this gice shifting problems and the crank too thight to the chainstays?

dzl

by dzl

rolfo wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:48 am
dzl wrote:
dzl wrote:
dzl wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:08 pm

I have my Crux Pro complete bike and all of the parts to try this out....except the front derailleur mount. I guess complete bikes don't come with that. It's on order, and hopefully I'll get it soon.

I have:
- the WIDE Force front der
- normal Force crankset, powermeter and 46/33 rings
- wide crankset (just in case I need it)

Oh, FYI, one thing to note for those that will eventually get the WIDE crankset....it requires 2.5mm and 5.5mm spindle spacers. The Crux comes with a 3.0mm spindle spacer on the drive side for the normal cranks. The WIDE crankset does not come with the spacers it needs. For some reason, you only get those spacers if you buy a DUB wide bottom bracket, which is just the normal 68mm bottom bracket with 2.5 and 5.5mm spacers.

Once again, the way SRAM packages its components makes no sense to me. Why would you include the spacers with the BB that doesn't change regardless of crank width? The appropriate spacers logically should come with crankset.
I received the front derailleur mount today and am pleased to say that running a normal Force AXS 2X crank with a Force WIDE derailleur works fine....at least on the work stand.

- 46/33 rings
- 10/33 cassette

With this setup, my rear Pathfinder is coming in at 39.3mm wide. At that tire width, I can just fit an 8mm hex key laterally between the tire and the front derailleur battery, which is the gating item. The next closest thing is the wedge spacer to support the derailleur to the mount. That gap is more radial than lateral, and there's at least 10mm of gap there.

In terms of front derailleur adjustment, obviously the limiting factor (no pun intended) is low limit adjustment towards the frame. I'd say when adjusted well, you still have half to one full turn of the lower limit screw towards the frame. Adjusting the upper limit will not be an issue.

So the set up shifts fine on the stand, but it's not tested on the road in anger and won't be for some time since there's still a bunch of snow on the ground and more on the way this weekend. But with at least half a turn adjustment still available for the lower limit, I hope it will work fine. That being said, I still installed a chain stopper to mitigate chain drops to the inside.

I may have spoke too soon. The WIDE front derailleur seems to work fine with standard 2X cranks...but I had forgotten about Cpro and his earlier mentions of iner chainring bolt clearance to the seatstay.

Looking at that area, there is only 1mm of clearance between the inner chain ring bolts and the seatstay with a Force 2X set up. That's not enough for me as I intend to participate in a lot of gravel events this year. So I guess I will go with WIDE crankset as well to get an additional 2.5mm of clearance.
Is anyone still driving a standard 33/46 sram Force crankset in combination with the Sram force wide front derailleur? Or did this gice shifting problems and the crank too thight to the chainstays?
Hi Rolfo, I can't respond to your PM, but as I mentioned in the post you quoted:

- standard width Force 2X set up with 46/33 rings will work, at least as tested on a 52cm frame, with the following caveats:
- there is adequate clearance between my 39.3mm wide (as measured) tires and the front derailleur battery
- the issue is there is only 1mm of clearance between the inner chain ring bolts and the drive-side seatstay. That is not enough clearance, IMO
- If you think 1mm clearance is OK, this set up will work and there should still be half a turn or so of adjustment for the standard front derailleur lower limit

Hope that helps

rolfo

by rolfo

dzl wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:07 pm
rolfo wrote:
dzl wrote:
dzl wrote:

- 46/33 rings
- 10/33 cassette

Hi Rolfo, I can't respond to your PM, but as I mentioned in the post you quoted:

- standard width Force 2X set up with 46/33 rings will work, at least as tested on a 52cm frame, with the following caveats:
- there is adequate clearance between my 39.3mm wide (as measured) tires and the front derailleur battery
- the issue is there is only 1mm of clearance between the inner chain ring bolts and the drive-side seatstay. That is not enough clearance, IMO
- If you think 1mm clearance is OK, this set up will work and there should still be half a turn or so of adjustment for the standard front derailleur lower limit

Hope that helps
Seems indeed a bit too risky. The low Q factor is important to me, so a Sram Red axs crankset or a single ring upfront. Thanks!

steveadore

by steveadore

Does any of you happen to have the manual for the MY18 (2018-21) Crux, either as a pdf or scan of a hard copy? I cannot find it anywhere.

I've been puzzling over 3 issues (just ahead of getting a frameset):
1. I understand that Spec. requires the use of a 34.9>31.8 mm clamp reducer shim with a 34.9 mm clamp front derailleur, supposedly to distribute pressure on the carbon seat tube more evenly. This has already been discussed here too. Since I'm planning to use my GRX 2x11 drivetrain and the GRX FD is only available as a braze-on version, I would need to use a Shimano SM-AD91 clamp-to-braze-on adapter (34.9mm version) AND a Shimano SM-AD17 reducer shim (34.9>31.8 ) to be able to install my GRX 810 FD. That's just too many adapter "layers" for my liking, and I wonder if I could run into issues with the FD getting out of alignment?
While it doesn't address the potential issue of 2 adapters between the seat tube and the FD, I've noticed that the Crux MY18 list of parts includes a Microshift reducer shift (S199900005, MSC MICROSHIFT Y-FDR04 FD SHIM). I wonder why Specialized spec'ed this instead of the Shimano SM-AD17 (they seem to be functionally the same).

2. The Crux MY18 parts list also includes a KCNC-made lockring for Centerlock disc rotors (S200700002, BRK KCL04-B-BK,OD 44MM, HEIGHT 8.5MM, THREAD LENGTH 5MM). These look pretty similar to regular Shimano lockrings, though the thread length and height might not be the same (?). I wonder if it's necessary to use these lockrings or could I just use regular Shimano lockrings (which come with their rotors). I know that certain DT Swiss 240 hubs, for example, do not work with the regular (non thru-axle) Shimano lockrings, and the Shimano (SM-HB20) lockrings for (mountain bike) 15mm thru axles have a too wide cross section and might rub the inner side of the left fork leg. So could these KCNC lockrings in the Spec. list be a possible solution to this niche problem? Or are they simply cheaper alternatives to the regular Shimano ones?

3. The frame I'm buying comes with the no-hole version of the cover at the right-top end of the down tube & head tube junction (S186500002, CBG MY18 ALLOY CABLE ENTRY WITH NO-HOLE. CLOSED VERSION FOR NON-DROPPER BIKES & NO REMOTE & 1x). Obviously, I would need that replaced with the version that has a hole for 4mm derailleur cable housing (for the FD routing). However, Spec. does not list a part for this. Could anyone confirm that this is the correct part nr.: S176500011? This is for the MY18 Diverge, but it looks identical in shape to the Crux one and the MY18 has the S186500002 (no-hole, no FD) as an alternative, so I would assumed the two are interchangeable.

takolino

by takolino

I used an Omniracer carbon derailleur clamp. Very minimal and no adapters. You might have to "size" the fit a bit with sandpaper wrapped around a seatpost. Wrapped the area with one layer of clear tape for frame protection. Good as new after removal. As far as cable ports go, some are interchangeable. I got the one I needed off ebay. For the derailleur, you could try drilling out the "no-hole" version but there may not be enough metal. I recall there being many versions of the cover. For centerlock, it may be easier to figure it out after you get the frame. The lower flat mount area can be tight on some forks but you can get away with a small gap since there's very little movement here. Leave enough room for caliper adjustment.

steveadore

by steveadore

takolino wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:50 pm
I used an Omniracer carbon derailleur clamp. Very minimal and no adapters. You might have to "size" the fit a bit with sandpaper wrapped around a seatpost. Wrapped the area with one layer of clear tape for frame protection. Good as new after removal. As far as cable ports go, some are interchangeable. I got the one I needed off ebay. For the derailleur, you could try drilling out the "no-hole" version but there may not be enough metal. I recall there being many versions of the cover. For centerlock, it may be easier to figure it out after you get the frame. The lower flat mount area can be tight on some forks but you can get away with a small gap since there's very little movement here. Leave enough room for caliper adjustment.
Thanks for the tips. What torque did you use for the FD clamp bolt? This is one reason I'm desperately looking for the manual.

takolino

by takolino

Torque isn't as critical as the fit with these carbon clamps. Standard deraileur torque, I'd guess 4-5 Nm should do it. What you want is for there to be no gap where the clamp is tightened, otherwise, there will be movement. Sand the inner surface of the clamp until you get contact at the desired torque.

steveadore

by steveadore

takolino wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:01 am
Torque isn't as critical as the fit with these carbon clamps. Standard deraileur torque, I'd guess 4-5 Nm should do it. What you want is for there to be no gap where the clamp is tightened, otherwise, there will be movement. Sand the inner surface of the clamp until you get contact at the desired torque.
Thanks, I'll probably play it safe and go with the standard Shimano clamp combined with the 34.9 > 31.8 mm reducer shim recommended by Spec.

TheDoctor

by TheDoctor

TheDoctor wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:30 pm
Just built up my frameset while on holiday. Ashamed to admit I forgot to pack the scales but should be about 7.9kg all in - weights and build list to follow... the basics:
- S-Works frame in Satin Carbon/Spectraflair/Gloss Abalone, size 54
- Force AXS wide 2x, 46x33 with 10-36 cassette and Quarq spider
- Zipp 303s with 700x40 Terra Speeds
- Roval Terra 40cm handlebar
- S-Works SL 110mm stem
- Pro Stealth Team carbon saddle
- Roval Alpinist seatpost (comes with the frame)
- X-Pedo M-Force 8 Ti pedals

Built this specifically with a 2x groupset to have a versatile bike for both road and gravel use, and have a second Zipp 303s wheelset with 30mm Pro Ones and a 10-28 cassette for pure road riding.
Bare frame weight was 753g and fork 389g uncut.

Now with a complete build list and all weights for those interested. The eagle-eyed will notice that I changed the bottle cages after the photo was taken. Full bike weight was 1 whole gram lighter than the sum of all components :D
Oh and if there is another way of including a formatted table in a post please school me...

steveadore

by steveadore

So, Specialized rider care tells me that there is not manual for the MY18 Crux. I find that really weird (I've had a few Spec bikes and each had a detailed manual, with part nr.'s, torque value, cable routing diagrams etc.).

rolfo

by rolfo

rolfo wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:49 pm
dzl wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:07 pm
rolfo wrote:
dzl wrote:

Hope that helps
Seems indeed a bit too risky. The low Q factor is important to me, so a Sram Red axs crankset or a single ring upfront. Thanks!
Here a small update. I recieved my Crux comp with a GXP 40t crankset, and strangely by default the gap between the chainringbolt and the chainstay is even more narrow. I only could get a chainlink of 0,8mm between the chainstay and the frame. So seems by design "quite" tricky.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Has anyone tested the limits of 650b (27.5") tire clearance? I know it's officially rated at 2.1"/52.5mm, but oftentimes, there is room to spare.
I am contemplating using it as hard tail (and hard fork) type bike for alpine gravel riding. In the Alps it can get rocky, loose and steep, and something like the Conti RaceKing in 2.2" would possibly be a good choice.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com