Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

shiiiison

by shiiiison

I had an Sworks Crux and had no problem putting 42's on it with ample clearance for most gravel encounters. The rims were 25mm ID ENVE's in case you were curious.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

Great thanks!

rothwem

by rothwem

shiiiison wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:19 am
I had an Sworks Crux and had no problem putting 42's on it with ample clearance for most gravel encounters. The rims were 25mm ID ENVE's in case you were curious.
Huh? What 42s were those? It is tiiiight with 38mm Tracers on 20mm internal rims. There's only 49mm between the stays.

shiiiison

by shiiiison

rothwem wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:53 pm
shiiiison wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:19 am
Huh? What 42s were those? It is tiiiight with 38mm Tracers on 20mm internal rims. There's only 49mm between the stays.
I was wrong... They are 40mm tires NOT 42mm.

Sorry for any confusion.

niklasp

by niklasp

FactoryMatt wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:11 pm
in a crux? 38-40 max on the rear. front is more.
That's the old one. I'm speculating about the new one.
I'm running 38mm pathfinder pro and those sks speedrockers without any issues.

siwong1210

by siwong1210

Would be nice if they update 2022 with BSA and wider clearance, but pretty apprehensive about the tire clearance. It's been pretty consistent for the last few years.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

I think it's been consistent because it's entirely fine for the bike's intended niche in CX and perhaps 'all road'. It'll be interesting to see if they want the new version to go full gravel with wider clearance and therefore compete directly with the Diverge model.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

bobrayner

by bobrayner

gwerziou wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:41 am
I think it's been consistent because it's entirely fine for the bike's intended niche in CX and perhaps 'all road'. It'll be interesting to see if they want the new version to go full gravel with wider clearance and therefore compete directly with the Diverge model.
Would Specialized consider a new fast-gravel bike which would slot between the Diverge and the Crux?

Gravel is getting bigger, and beginning to spread out. With front suspension and extra storage (and a cassette the size of a dinner plate), the Diverge definitely appeals to the more rugged & bikepacking side of gravel. At the other end of the spectrum, there's a lot of growth among bikes like the Grevil, Kanzo Fast, Factor LS and 765 Gravel - more on the racy side of gravel. There's a lot of potential for Specialized to sell a bike like that. Then the Crux could keep its focus as a CX bike. No?

Until that hypothetical bike arrives, a few gravel riders will keep on cross-shopping the Crux even though they'll never ride a CX race. :-)
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

maquisard

by maquisard

If they pollute the Crux with FutureShock, I will be sad

Mirco

by Mirco

Is there will be a new Crux for 21/22 season and thereafter I hope without any suspension.

Sorry no Gravel, Cyclocross or something between needs any physical suspension. Suspension is flex coming from the frameset and components and tire pressure. If you would like to have more, use MTB.

rothwem

by rothwem

bobrayner wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:27 pm
gwerziou wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:41 am
Would Specialized consider a new fast-gravel bike which would slot between the Diverge and the Crux?

Gravel is getting bigger, and beginning to spread out. With front suspension and extra storage (and a cassette the size of a dinner plate), the Diverge definitely appeals to the more rugged & bikepacking side of gravel. At the other end of the spectrum, there's a lot of growth among bikes like the Grevil, Kanzo Fast, Factor LS and 765 Gravel - more on the racy side of gravel. There's a lot of potential for Specialized to sell a bike like that. Then the Crux could keep its focus as a CX bike. No?

Until that hypothetical bike arrives, a few gravel riders will keep on cross-shopping the Crux even though they'll never ride a CX race. :-)
It kinda seems like it would be splitting the market too much. I had a hard time finding a Crux to test ride because not many dealers will actually stock a CX-specific bike because they sell so slow. I think the smartest thing is to "fast gravel"-ize the Crux with a smidge more tire clearance (clear 42s) and maybe a third bottle boss, and then leave the Diverge as-is for the long distance riders.

I actually think the geometry in my size (58) works pretty well in 99% of situations, both on and off road. The front-center is long for a road bike, but its not a crazy chopper like the Diverge. Its long enough to be confidence inspring on descents though. The head tube angle on my size is 72.5°, and that keeps it steering fairly quick, not far off a road bike. I wouldn't mind taking another 5mm off the chainstays, but I really only notice the rear center length on the road on sharp turns. I also like that the BB-drop isn't crazy low on the Crux. Sure, I'm not going to race a crit on my gravel bike, but I like knowing that I have pedal clearance if I need it and an 80mm bb drop seems like too much.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I think you're right that "fast gravel" could happen to the Crux, keep it standard CX race geo, add a tad of clearance, a bottle mount here or there, give it some aero tubes and charge 1000 bucks more for the frameset a la Cervelo. Would give it a wider market but keep the CX faithful.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

shiiiison

by shiiiison

Please do that SPEESHHH.... I love how the CRUX on gravel is a great compliment to the TARMAC on asphalt

shiiiison

by shiiiison

Please do that SPEESHHH.... I love how the CRUX on gravel is a great compliment to the TARMAC on asphalt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rothwem

by rothwem

bikewithnoname wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:52 pm
I think you're right that "fast gravel" could happen to the Crux, keep it standard CX race geo, add a tad of clearance, a bottle mount here or there, give it some aero tubes and charge 1000 bucks more for the frameset a la Cervelo. Would give it a wider market but keep the CX faithful.
Gah, $1000 more? Please no. You're probably going to get your wish though, Specialized as been bumping prices up ~$800 or so across the range lately.