Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

A few details on tire width and clearance. Also, weight included a few too many things for a true WW spec.

Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

texano999

by texano999

my checkpoint srl with red single chain 40 10-52 weith 8.1 kg with pedals and 2 bottle cage and support for computer, tyre 40 continental

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

7.91kg with just other pedals, no mud guards, and no mud on the bike.
If I really wanted to go lighter without spending wild on boutique carbon:
- no tire inserts (-120g)
- less TL sealant, I went Winter safety (-100g)
- anything but the heaviest gravel tires (-200g)

That alone would make it 7.49kg, which I think is pretty impressive for a perfectly capable, 2x gravel bike, frame size 58, with 40c tires.

Shedding another 500g to make it sub 7 isn't actually super difficult (another 200g again in tires, another 50g in pedals etc.)

But for training where I live, having a more capable, more puncture resistant/ durable set up, really is the way to go. I'll see what set up I'll go with once racing comes around again.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

req110

by req110

Sounds like you have some heavy inserts, i am using tubolight evo, around 40g each, maybe less.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

sib

by sib

@flatlandclimber
Do you feel there's anything your Open Wide can do that the Crux can't?

And, if you bought a second, lightweight wheel set, is there anything the Emonda or Aethos can do that the Crux can't?

I guess im asking if you feel the Crux could be a real quiver killer..?

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

A Crux can definitely substitute the Aethos and the Open (the open is on the way out).
I bought the Open in 2019, when it was one of the first bikes to clear tires this big.
Now the Crux can do that too.
However, I have set up my Crux "rather aggressive". So maybe it is not the best bike packing bike. Also, the 2x set up will not allow MTB tires, which are interesting for deep mud, sand, Long days off-road, and everything where you want additional comfort or control.

I would probably not need an Aethos AND a Crux.
However, there are quite a few things that make the bikes different in my case.
The Aethos is set up lower and longer (stem), with a narrower handle bar that doesn't have flare and is not rated for gravel.
The Aethos is set up 2x with a smallest gear of 34/34 (vs 33/36 on the Crux). Aethos is more focused on climbing as a build, and looks better with narrower tires.

I would definitely not want the Emonda to be substituted by the Crux.
The Emonda is set up very much towards racing.
38cm handlebars, large rings, deep wheels, small brake rotors, aero tube shaping etc.

Could I do all my on road and off road races on the Crux? Yes.
Would I want to do that? No.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

texano999

by texano999

i have Aethos durace 9200 and all alpinist set up with 28 tires and tubolito weight withot pedals and bottle cages 5.95 kg
Other bike Checkpoint SLR is without pedals and btlte cages is 7.8 kg with 40 continental tire ...still 1.85 kg difference but if you put same tyres diffence drop to 1.4 kg that is not so huge

gSporco

by gSporco

texano999 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:40 pm
i have Aethos durace 9200 and all alpinist set up with 28 tires and tubolito weight withot pedals and bottle cages 5.95 kg
Other bike Checkpoint SLR is without pedals and btlte cages is 7.8 kg with 40 continental tire ...still 1.85 kg difference but if you put same tyres diffence drop to 1.4 kg that is not so huge
Yeah but you cant ride either of your bikes without pedals .. :).....
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

sib

by sib

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:11 am
Could I do all my on road and off road races on the Crux? Yes.
Would I want to do that? No.
Thanks for the comments.
It sounds as if the Crux is pretty flexible - so long as I have a clear idea of what I want to use it for.

RyanH

by RyanH

sib wrote: Thanks for the comments.
It sounds as if the Crux is pretty flexible - so long as I have a clear idea of what I want to use it for.
I can honestly say that if I was told I had to ride the Crux for the rest of my life as my only bike, I would be fine with that. There's only a few bikes I've ridden that I'd say that about.

What Flatlandclimber is saying is that each discipline really requires a different setup and you're going to compromise one for the other and I agree with that. While this bike proves that a Frameset can blur quite a few lines, if you want it setup correctly you'll need to make compromises.

Maddie

by Maddie

Gravel bikes as a one bike for everything have one major turn down IMHO. If you install road tires, the wheels/tires look a bit lost on the bike because of the huge tire clearance. It's a bit like a Venge with 25mm deep wheels.

This is not specific to the Crux though and of course purely aesthetic. But if one is thinking between Crux and Aethos and road is 90%, then this could be a factor too (no pun intended).

maquisard

by maquisard

I am in similar situation - I have a 2019 Cervelo R5 and a 2020 Diverge but want a Crux as a light gravel/big tire road bike. The Diverge will always have big 'mud' gravel tires and I hope to use the Crux with bigger 32mm road tires like the Roubaix. However I am tied about whether to get an Aethos or Crux for this role. I think I might go with the Crux as there is bigger clearance around the tires which will be useful in avoiding frame damage on some gravel trails. I also prefer the higher top tube of the Crux.

Basscadet

by Basscadet

maquisard wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:54 am
I am in similar situation - I have a 2019 Cervelo R5 and a 2020 Diverge but want a Crux as a light gravel/big tire road bike. The Diverge will always have big 'mud' gravel tires and I hope to use the Crux with bigger 32mm road tires like the Roubaix. However I am tied about whether to get an Aethos or Crux for this role. I think I might go with the Crux as there is bigger clearance around the tires which will be useful in avoiding frame damage on some gravel trails. I also prefer the higher top tube of the Crux.
I am in same situation. Would be happy with either Crux or Aethos. Prefer weight and 2x options on Aethos but God knows when R9200 will become available.

RyanH

by RyanH

Excel has multiple groups of 9200 in stock, FYI

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

Maddie wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:00 am
Gravel bikes as a one bike for everything have one major turn down IMHO. If you install road tires, the wheels/tires look a bit lost on the bike because of the huge tire clearance. It's a bit like a Venge with 25mm deep wheels.

This is not specific to the Crux though and of course purely aesthetic. But if one is thinking between Crux and Aethos and road is 90%, then this could be a factor too (no pun intended).
Have this issue with my gravel bike as well to be honest. I run either 42's or 25's and the 25's look a bit lost. When they are finally worn out I will swap them out for some 32's or the 36mm Challenge Strada Biancas