Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

maquisard

by maquisard

I think I will try some also, I am on 32mm Spec. Roubaix tires at the moment, nice but not great with puncture protections.

I am a big convert to wide ride tires - I stayed with 25mm for a long time but have riddent 32mm most of late summer. I don't find them to be slower.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FuelForThought

by FuelForThought

CustomMetal wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:35 am
req110 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:22 am
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:05 pm
The TerraSpeed is the fastest knobby tire BRR has ever tested, 1W slower than the GP5000TL.
That is very interesting fact actually. Let's summarize below.

Gp5000 tl 25mm 8.3W https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... 00-tl-2018
gp5000 tl 32mm 20W https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... 5000-tl-32
terra speed 35mm 21W https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... erra-speed
I have a set of wheels that I run 5000TL 32 and Terra Speed 35mm and can tell you that Strava suggests there is a lot more than 1 watt in it
Lennard Zinn from Velonews articulates the limitations of the BRR tests: the fact that Bicycle Rolling Resistance’s test setup has no damping means that its results must be taken with a huge grain of salt. They are simply inaccurate at higher pressures on rough surfaces.
https://www.velonews.com/gear/technical ... ance-more/

The experiences of various folks on this thread seem to validate his skepticisim toward BRR's testing setup.

RyanH

by RyanH

Tire rolling resistance is getting off topic. There's another thread here for that. Tag tanhalt and he can chime in too.

RyanH

by RyanH

Has anyone ridden the Crux and Aethos with the same wheels and tires? I truly think the Crux is one of the best bikes I've ridden but since I have little to no intent of taking it on dirt, I've been wondering if I'd like the Aethos as much while having clearance for 53/39 and smaller gaps between the frame and wheels.

What I like about the Crux is that it has the liveliness and snap of a titanium bike which makes it engaging to ride. Further, it is super confidence inspiring down hill. I haven't yet felt that it lacked any agility. I also think it looks better from the side than the Aethos.

If the Aethos has the same lively feeling and downhill mannerism then I'd be inclined to get that instead since it'll be a more "proper" road bike. But, I think the high 60s trail number, long wheel base and 425 stays has to do a decent amount with how it feels descending and the Aethos should feel more twitchy/nimble. Right?

simbikotic

by simbikotic

RyanH wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:17 pm
Has anyone ridden the Crux and Aethos with the same wheels and tires? ....
I can try this experiment for you in late January / early February. Assuming my frame does not get delayed! I am curious about the result also. Re the Aethos, to me it is a total joy-bike. I am lucky enough to live close to the Santa Cruz mountains so all my rides are climb + descent. I never really 'go for' PRs on the descents (this seems like a good way make a fatal mistake) - nontheless all my PRs are on the Aethos because that bike just moves the bar of what feels comfortable/fun to a much higher speed.

Re the side-on look. I agree the Aethos looks a little ugly from the side with the very sloping top-tube. I prefer the classic look of the Crux too. However what this buys you when you are sitting on the bike is extra stiffness through the (smaller) front and rear triangle (given the the thin/light tubes) and a lot of complaince in the long seatpost. I suspect this is a big part of why it's so fun to ride and can be ridden all day with ease/comfort. I also suspect that the higher top tube on the Crux is there to satisfy the shouldering requirement for CX and so may be a slight penalty on handling/comfort over the Aethos. I guess I will find out whether this theory right in the new year...

Lastly IIRC @flatlandclimber has/had an Aethos. And - from this thread - looks like they have a Crux too. So if you cannot wait until Feb maybe you can pursuade them to give you a review sooner? :thumbup:

gSporco

by gSporco

RyanH wrote:
Has anyone ridden the Crux and Aethos with the same wheels and tires? I truly think the Crux is one of the best bikes I've ridden but since I have little to no intent of taking it on dirt, I've been wondering if I'd like the Aethos as much while having clearance for 53/39 and smaller gaps between the frame and wheels.

What I like about the Crux is that it has the liveliness and snap of a titanium bike which makes it engaging to ride. Further, it is super confidence inspiring down hill. I haven't yet felt that it lacked any agility. I also think it looks better from the side than the Aethos.

If the Aethos has the same lively feeling and downhill mannerism then I'd be inclined to get that instead since it'll be a more "proper" road bike. But, I think the high 60s trail number, long wheel base and 425 stays has to do a decent amount with how it feels descending and the Aethos should feel more twitchy/nimble. Right?
RyanH and others... I cant address your question directly because I dont own and haven't ridden the Crux yet.. But.. I own an Aethos and a Diverge in a size 52cm.

Here are some stats and feedback on the Aethos (my experience only). First the Aethos is really really comfortable, yet remains racy/ sporty feeling.. Coming from an Aspero 51cm running 32mm tires on the road the Aethos is way more compliant than the Aspero.. The Aspero is very very stiff, I what I now know by comparison of the 2 bikes, in all the wrong places (assume this is to beef it up for offroad use). To better articulate what I mean, the Aspero was more chattery and brittle feeling over 3+ hour road rides compared to the Aethos.. At first I ran the Aethos with the same wheelset upon building the bike that was used on the Aspero (Zipp Firecrests with GK Sick 32mm, measuring 35mm after inflation); big difference in comfort between the 2.. Then I switched to 28mm tires on the same rims for the Aethos (measures 31mm after inflation). The ride quality was nearly identical other than the Aethos now feeling a bit faster (in my head im sure) and better handling..

But here is what really shocked me.. I thought the comfort of the Aethos over the Aspero was do to it being a more flexible frame.. This is not the case.. Im 180lbs and could flex the bottom bracket of the Aspero grinding out of the saddle up hill or doing intervals.. Not the case with the Aethos, power transfer through the BB is stiffer in the Aethos and the overall feeling is snappy.. I think this is because the Aspero is stiffer in the places where comfortnis derived in frame design.. Stiffer in the downtube, chainstay and seatstays which vibrate road feedback into your bottom.. Oh same saddle on both bikes.. also both bikes 27.2mm round Carbon seatpost..

Ok this is getting long in the tooth so I wont go into detail of the Diverge vs the Aethos, but Ill say this.. riding the bikes back to back its bery noticeable feel a slow front end vs a reaponsive front end.. The Aethos isnt twitchy (it maybe, if you are an MTB'er) bit it is very responsive and confident on Tarmac.. The Diverge is planted and more of a riding no rails feeling; requiring more input to flop over, shift weight and turn.. An avid motorcycle rider would know what I am thinking.. its like steering a harley vs sportier motorcycle.. one turns easily the other just wants to go straight until you push it where you want to go..

Based on all the reviews I have read ( you know beat because you own a Crux), all the riders say its stiff.. no one aays its brittle, but that would be my fear of not trying before I buy a Crux..

Final thoughts and conjectures: If you are going tonride 90% road as I do and will be using 25-35mm tires there is no doubt in my mind, get the Aethos... Its a riders bike... If you require 35mm plus tires and can only have one bike probably get the Crux or some other all road bike with similar Crux geo..

Why am I even on the Crux thread? Im considering one as my offroad/ winter bike over the Diverge.. but ill have to ride one first..

Hope that helped a little..
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

RyanH

by RyanH

gSporco wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:52 am
Ok this is getting long in the tooth so I wont go into detail of the Diverge vs the Aethos, but Ill say this.. riding the bikes back to back its bery noticeable feel a slow front end vs a reaponsive front end.. The Aethos isnt twitchy (it maybe, if you are an MTB'er) bit it is very responsive and confident on Tarmac.. The Diverge is planted and more of a riding no rails feeling; requiring more input to flop over, shift weight and turn.. An avid motorcycle rider would know what I am thinking.. its like steering a harley vs sportier motorcycle.. one turns easily the other just wants to go straight until you push it where you want to go..
See, I wouldn't describe the Crux as that. I've been alternating between the Litespeed and the Crux and the immediate impressions are that the Litespeed feels nervous in comparison to the Crux but the Crux doesn't feel slow handling wise at all. Now, the T3 feels more agile but it's agile to a fault. I have a new fork (Moots) and headset for the Litespeed to slacken the HTA and get the trail from 58mm to 63mm (63 is what the 2013 Evo was IIRC). I'm hoping those changes will slow the handling down a little and make it feel a little less nervous. I don't know, I feel like they worked some magic with the Crux and avoided all of the usual complaints one would have with a slacker geo and longer wheelbase. When I had the SuperX, I didn't like how that handled at all going downhill. This is the opposite, it's gotten me to be comfortable descending at speed again (I think I mentioned this elsewhere but I got 9th on a descent out of like 9k people the other day on it). Anyway, I'm still tempted to get an Aethos just to see but I'd be surprised if I liked the Aethos as much as I like the Crux which is weird for me to say but also makes me hesitant to pull the trigger on a $6K purchase.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Agreed that there's no way the Aethos will feel anything like the Crux. The geometries between the two bikes are like night and day.

I'm a proponent for a slack geo and long wheelbase bike as a road bike. I don't need the huge tire clearance of the Crux as I already have a Diverge which I use on gravel exclusively. It would be awesome if there's an Aethos with a slacker geo and longer wheelbase to be ridden as a road bike.

maquisard

by maquisard

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:50 am
Agreed that there's no way the Aethos will feel anything like the Crux. The geometries between the two bikes are like night and day.

I'm a proponent for a slack geo and long wheelbase bike as a road bike. I don't need the huge tire clearance of the Crux as I already have a Diverge which I use on gravel exclusively. It would be awesome if there's an Aethos with a slacker geo and longer wheelbase to be ridden as a road bike.
More like a SystemSix from 10 years ago, I agree as this Denk design was one of the best handling bikes I have ridden. I would love a more horizontal top-tube on the Aethos as well - even at cost of more weight.

robeambro

by robeambro

maquisard wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:27 am
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:50 am

More like a SystemSix from 10 years ago, I agree as this Denk design was one of the best handling bikes I have ridden. I would love a more horizontal top-tube on the Aethos as well - even at cost of more weight.
I suppose a more horizontal top tube would also come at the cost of less compliance on the rear. And once you change that, is it still an Aethos? Maybe, or maybe not.

mathias720

by mathias720

I have now finished my crux build
https://ibb.co/7rJBF9J
it came in at 7645Gram atm. (https://ibb.co/brx9Vjn)
still need to cut steerer when ill get fitted,
and waiting for my alpitude gardena saddle to arrive, so should be under 7,5KG in gravel setup.
i have a complete list of parts and individual weight if anyone is interested.(https://ibb.co/bvTYC6k)

Road setup coming aswell with farsport feder 55mm
red 10-33 and gp5000
should be under 6.8 in road setup.
so a UCI illegal gravel bike.

LegPower

by LegPower

I own both bikes and have about 1000 miles on the Aethos and 200 on the Crux. Both are excellent bikes, but depends on what you are looking for. The Aethos is a more comfortable frame. I'm not talking about stiffness, but harshness. My assumption is that this comes from the fork as they had to beef it up quite a bit (30% heavier) for gravel use. I'm 180lb so not a light guy by any means, but my FTP is 375 so I can put the power down over long climbs. I had my Aethos setup on 28mm tires with 25mm wide rims that measured to 32mm when inflated and it was a dream to ride. I even had room for fenders in the winter!

My reason for getting the crux was to have one bike that I can travel with and use either road or gravel tires depending on where I'm going. As a road bike, the crux is absolutely fine. I wouldn't say it's any slower than the Aethos, but it does take a little more effort to go around turns on descents. That being said, it does make it stable at speed. If I didn't also have an SL7 I would keep both, but I'll be selling the Aethos and leaving the Crux in my bike box for trips.

Speaking of, if anyone wants a 54cm S-Works Aethos frame set let me know ;-)
RyanH wrote:

simbikotic

by simbikotic

mathias720 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:44 am
I have now finished my crux build
https://ibb.co/7rJBF9J
it came in at 7645Gram atm. (https://ibb.co/brx9Vjn)
still need to cut steerer when ill get fitted,
and waiting for my alpitude gardena saddle to arrive, so should be under 7,5KG in gravel setup.
i have a complete list of parts and individual weight if anyone is interested.(https://ibb.co/bvTYC6k)

Road setup coming aswell with farsport feder 55mm
red 10-33 and gp5000
should be under 6.8 in road setup.
so a UCI illegal gravel bike.
Looks awsome! Thanks for sharing. Thanks for the weights also. QQ: is that a 56 frame? 884g seems okay for that paintjob.

RyanH

by RyanH

@LegPower

Do you notice a difference in the pedals when hitting bumps and such? I've done a few long road rides on the Crux with Turbo Cottons and I was surprised to feel beat up near the end. I think that may be partly due to fitness but I distinctly remember hitting bumps as being rather sharp feeling through the pedals.

mathias720

by mathias720

Looks awsome! Thanks for sharing. Thanks for the weights also. QQ: is that a 56 frame? 884g seems okay for that paintjob.
[/quote]

that is a size 56 frame with gear hanger

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com