New Diverge Thoughts?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

How is the handling of the new Diverge compared with the Open UP/UPPER?
2016 Diverge Expert

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

better? ;) Tried the Open Up last autumn and it doesn't feel anything special, not as rapid as the Topstone Carbon I used before and not as planted as a Diverge. The Diverge is stabile without being boring, feels so safe so can manage to go faster. The new Diverge demands a bit more forward weight to get the front wheel on the ground compared to the old one but it never feels scary when you loose the traction with weight in the wrong place. Feels like the bike can handle it.

Cattiy

by Cattiy

What's the weight of the E5 aluminium frame? Looking at the Diverge or the Cannondale Topstone Alu. But the Topstone Alu weighs ca. 1700 g in size Medium...

ElliottDavo

by ElliottDavo

Cattiy wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:55 pm
What's the weight of the E5 aluminium frame? Looking at the Diverge or the Cannondale Topstone Alu. But the Topstone Alu weighs ca. 1700 g in size Medium...
I saw the previous weight at about 1550g

I'm ordering one on cycletowork and sticking my own components on it, so if I can get my hands on it, I will let you know

Cattiy

by Cattiy

ElliottDavo wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:45 am
Cattiy wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:55 pm
I saw the previous weight at about 1550g

I'm ordering one on cycletowork and sticking my own components on it, so if I can get my hands on it, I will let you know
That would be nice!

ill principe

by ill principe

Have not found any official info, but when looking at pics it seems that the bikes are speced with 160mm rear discs using an adaptor for the rear caliper. So native frame mount is for 140mm discs, correct?!

Looking to be able to use the road wheels w. 160f and 140r on my upcoming Diverge.
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (build in progress) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

ill principe wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:03 am
Have not found any official info, but when looking at pics it seems that the bikes are speced with 160mm rear discs using an adaptor for the rear caliper. So native frame mount is for 140mm discs, correct?!

Looking to be able to use the road wheels w. 160f and 140r on my upcoming Diverge.
Start @6:02 mark

lowftp

by lowftp

On a related note: The front threw me for a loop when I was putting it together. Installed originally with the adapter in the 160 position and the rotor and caliper didn't line up. Had to double-check that I was using a 160mm rotor (I was) and then checked the pics on Specialized's website. Sure enough, as the video states, the front adapter needs to be run in the 140 position...when using a 160mm rotor. Would have been nice if they had mentioned that in the manual (which is usually pretty good). :|

ElliottDavo

by ElliottDavo

Weighed my 56 base e5 in sage green, got 1650 for the frame and 515 for the forks. This includes the seat post collar and bottle cage bolts but no headset, thru axles or the like

So, around 2.15 for the entire frameset

Cattie

by Cattie

ElliottDavo wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:21 pm
Weighed my 56 base e5 in sage green, got 1650 for the frame and 515 for the forks. This includes the seat post collar and bottle cage bolts but no headset, thru axles or the like

Thx a lot. My Diverge Base 5 in Satin has arrived. But I realised that the Diverge E5 cannot use Shimano DI2. That is quite a bummer...

Angui

by Angui

ElliottDavo wrote:

Newbie question: why is the Diverge so much heavier than the Tarmac?

Nikoras

by Nikoras

Angui wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:48 pm
ElliottDavo wrote:

Newbie question: why is the Diverge so much heavier than the Tarmac?
Frame with the SWAT downtube adds weight as that's pretty massive. Guessing the futureshock components add up quite a bit as well.

plasticmoz

by plasticmoz

Picking up a 21' Expert without wheels and running about some choices. Wanted more of a faster/road friendly set for now. Was thinking of Roval c38s with 28 or 32mm all-road tires. Any thoughts or other recommendations in a similar price range?

Nikoras

by Nikoras

Anyone else have trouble with the stock seatpost clamp? The darn thing always keeps slipping on me. Infuriating.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thumper88

by thumper88

Nikoras wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:41 pm
Anyone else have trouble with the stock seatpost clamp? The darn thing always keeps slipping on me. Infuriating.
Yes, it seemed tad worse than noirmal for that. I scuff sanded both the post and the inside of the tube lightly with I think 240 or 320 grit, sanding in direction OPPOSITE of the slip, meaning in diretion parallel to ground if that makes sense. Just enough to dull the surface pretty good in the area where it needs to grip. Then of course used carbon assembly paste and torqued it exactly to max. problem was immediatley solved and has been fine through three races and three reaasemblies from travelling.