New Diverge Thoughts?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dubadai

by Dubadai

Finally got my Diverge built up yesterday! Had to strip down my 3T RaceMax, and the Diverge, before I could build up the Diverge with the Di2 etc from the 3T... tired of fiddling with bikes now...

9,3kg with pedals, computer mount, GR1600 with 47mm Pathfinder Pro, 120ml of sealant in each tire! I could probably start hunting for grams but it feels like the most sensible upgrade next would be a light wheelset... since there is a shitload of space on the Diverge, I could probably skip 650b and just get a 700c wheelset but still run 47mm.

Also gotta change the front end for the lower FutureShock cap, as well as redo my botched handlebar tape... first time building a bike from the ground up so learnt the hard way... No issues though except for the handlebar tape!

S-Works Venge 2020
S-works Aethos
Specialized Diverge 2021

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Dubadai wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:42 am
Finally got my Diverge built up yesterday!
This looks fantastic, welcome to the gang!
Wish you many miles with many smiles on the Diverge! :D

Cockpit setup looks very clean with how you wired the Di2, combining one brake hose with the Di2 electrical wire :thumbup:

My mechanical 2x setup looks way busier / not as clean due to two additional cables.

Let us know about your ride impressions!

I recently switched out the front Continental Speed King tire for a Race King with more agressive tread.

Speed King rolls very very fast, but has very little to no area of forgiveness.
If the front wheel slides out under you, you're gone.
After two or three of these experiences while cornering hard on trails, I kinda lost trust into the tire when ripping trails. So I gave up some raw straight-line speed for more control.

The Race King rolls a little slower and a little louder, but it's still blazingly fast esp. when hitting gravel and trails.

Here some recent pictures (first with Speed King and second with Race King):

2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.35-ish kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159454
2021 Specialized Diverge viewtopic.php?f=10&t=165482

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dubadai

by Dubadai

Thanks! :D

Yeah, I got the tip from my mechanic at my local LBS to use shrink tube for the Di2 and the hydro. Cleaned it up a bit more today as well since I shortened the hydro cable by 5cm... so much work for a little difference, but worth it to get it completely right!

I LOVE the way it rides... coming from a 3T RaceMax this thing is so damn comfortable, its almost annoying... haha. Not only that, but since its more comfortable, i can focus more on pedalling than looking for bumps that will kill me. So all in all I would say its faster as well.

Its also much much more planted than the 3T that felt a bit twitchy and I always got the feeling that I didnt know when the bike was gonna give out in corners, whereas the Diverge just feels like a rocket that guides you through the corner, if that makes sense.

Love those tires you are running, are they tubeless compatible?

How are the wheels by the way? I am looking into upgrading wheels, but I feel like I would like to go the light route and not the "aero" one. The GR1600 I have now are 1800g a pair...

Here is the cockpit after todays cleanup:

justRideIt wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:56 pm
Dubadai wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:42 am
Finally got my Diverge built up yesterday!
This looks fantastic, welcome to the gang!
Wish you many miles with many smiles on the Diverge! :D

Cockpit setup looks very clean with how you wired the Di2, combining one brake hose with the Di2 electrical wire :thumbup:

My mechanical 2x setup looks way busier / not as clean due to two additional cables.

Let us know about your ride impressions!

I recently switched out the front Continental Speed King tire for a Race King with more agressive tread.

Speed King rolls very very fast, but has very little to no area of forgiveness.
If the front wheel slides out under you, you're gone.
After two or three of these experiences while cornering hard on trails, I kinda lost trust into the tire when ripping trails. So I gave up some raw straight-line speed for more control.

The Race King rolls a little slower and a little louder, but it's still blazingly fast esp. when hitting gravel and trails.

Here some recent pictures (first with Speed King and second with Race King):

S-Works Venge 2020
S-works Aethos
Specialized Diverge 2021

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Sounds great!

Reg tires: The so-called "RaceSport" variants of Continentals MTB tires are not tubeless-ready.
However, you can get them set up tubeless, but it does need more work compared to a tubeless-ready tire.

- Inflation is best done with compressed air, since the sidewalls are so supple that the tire does not hold form when mounted on the rim. So you need lots of air very quickly to get it seated.
- once inflated, again due to thin sidewalls the tire is slowly leaking air and sweating sealant. So best to go on a ride immediately to get the sealant distributed. I'd also recommend not to save weight on the sealant ;)
- Then it might need a handful of rides until the tire is completely sealed and holding air well.

What the tubeless RaceSports setup offers then from my experience is a sublime / plush / comfortable ride feel, giving very good feedback about what is happening underneath the tire. Great grip in dry conditions and they roll damn fast both on- and offroad.

I've ridden the Speed Kings for 3.000 km over any kind of surface without any puncture or cut.

From my experience, tubeless-ready tires with reinforced sidewalls feel quite stiff, wooden and heavy in comparison... but come with other benefits such as much easier initial set up, better air retention and higher puncture protection.

Alternative would've been the gravel-specific Continental Terra Speed, but they offer it in a max. 40mm variant only, which is too narrow for my riding profile. Hopefully Continental will go with the overall trend and release a wider version soon.

Dubadai

by Dubadai

I just went from the Panaracer Gravelking SK to the Pathfinder Pro (both 47mm) and man was it a big difference...

Keep in mind that I have a lot of tarmac on my gravel rides, but I really really like the Pathfinders compared to the Gravelkins. Pathfinders feel like road tires on tarmac, and then really nice and confidence inspiring grip on dirt. Never ride mud so don't need too much grip in the really bad weather.

I run 2.2 bar rear and 2.0 bar front. I am guessing that it's far from as supple as your tires hehe.
S-Works Venge 2020
S-works Aethos
Specialized Diverge 2021

henau212

by henau212

Guivd wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:46 pm
After Nine months of waiting, also finally received my diverge base carbon.
During the waiting, got the time to find mostly second hands parts to upgrade it.

It's a size 58. I swap out the Apex groupset for a mix of shimano xtr di2 rear mech, grx 810 crankset with cheap ultegra 6800 left arms fitted with stages powermeter. Rear dura-ace caliper and ultegra front (normally plan to bought grx caliper, no stock or to much waiting time). I just put the price for new GRX di2 shifters.
Same thing with used roval terra seatpost and mavic allroad pro ust wheelset

the final weight is 9275g with time atac pedals and bottle cage.

That is a nice build. Still undecided about the size. Can you tell me the saddle height and/or inseam for you?

My local lbs got a batch of Diverge in size 58 arriving in mid May (they were stuck in the suez traffic ;)). The 2022 are supposed to be arriving in the same time frame. Now I am kind of wondering what the changes will be. They are telling me only colors and a rival etap model. I kind of hope that they got rid of those heavy wheels in the comp/expert model..

Guivd

by Guivd

henau212 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:24 am
Guivd wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:46 pm
After Nine months of waiting, also finally received my diverge base carbon.
During the waiting, got the time to find mostly second hands parts to upgrade it.

It's a size 58. I swap out the Apex groupset for a mix of shimano xtr di2 rear mech, grx 810 crankset with cheap ultegra 6800 left arms fitted with stages powermeter. Rear dura-ace caliper and ultegra front (normally plan to bought grx caliper, no stock or to much waiting time). I just put the price for new GRX di2 shifters.
Same thing with used roval terra seatpost and mavic allroad pro ust wheelset

the final weight is 9275g with time atac pedals and bottle cage.

That is a nice build. Still undecided about the size. Can you tell me the saddle height and/or inseam for you?

My local lbs got a batch of Diverge in size 58 arriving in mid May (they were stuck in the suez traffic ;)). The 2022 are supposed to be arriving in the same time frame. Now I am kind of wondering what the changes will be. They are telling me only colors and a rival etap model. I kind of hope that they got rid of those heavy wheels in the comp/expert model..
I'm 1m89 and my saddle height is 80cm, don't remember for my inseam :lol:
Did the first ride last day, very fun to ride (future shock in front is so good), worth the wait...

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Divergers, couple of quick questions for you:

1) is there a min level of spacers you can run on the diverge in order for the futrureshock to work? Nearly all images seem to have at least 20mm above the shaped headset cover. I gu ess another way of asking this is: can you slam the stem? EDIT: IGNORE THIS! I jsut googled and didn't realise that is the moving section of the shock :oops:

2) do you honestly think the futureshock is worth the extra complexity and the weight?

I'm hanging around to see if any new 2022 models (and SRAM XPLR) drop and am debating between the aspero, diverge and maybe the supersix EVO SE/CX if it breaks cover (although likley too long and low for me)
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

justRideIt

by justRideIt

bikewithnoname wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:02 pm
Divergers, couple of quick questions for you:

1) is there a min level of spacers you can run on the diverge in order for the futrureshock to work? Nearly all images seem to have at least 20mm above the shaped headset cover. I guess another way of asking this is: can you slam the stem?

2) do you honestly think the futureshock is worth the extra complexity and the weight?

I'm hanging around to see if any new 2022 models (and SRAM XPLR) drop and am debating between the aspero, diverge and maybe the supersix EVO SE/CX if it breaks cover (although likley too long and low for me)
reg spacers: this is the least you can run, i.e. the shallow headset cover and no additional spacers. This shallow headset cover is also what the Specialized geometry table stack is based upon.

The taller headset cover adds 10 (or 15 mm, not 100% sure), and then you can add an extra 15 mm of spacers.
If the stack is still is too high for your liking, you can e.g. go with a -12 degree stem.

But in my opinion, a gravelbike is not a bike to slam the stem or compare the stack to road bike setup.
Especially when hitting rougher and steeper stuff the bigger stack is appreciated. You don't feel like going over the bars so quickly, esp. without a dropper seat post and when riding in the drops for more control and safety. Also you have more suspension in your bent arms when the bars are a little higher.

Reg 2 Future Shock.: as with everything gravel and its diversity, the benefit of the shock depends on what you intend to ride the bike on.
If you mainly ride relatively smooth, hard-packed gravel the suspension is overkill in my opinion. Put on wide (over 40mm) tires, run them tubeless with low pressure and that provides sufficient suspension.

In my example, I ride the Diverge rather like an old-school MTB, taking it onto singletrails with roots & rocks and I really appreciate the 20mm of travel in combination with wide 2.2" 650b MTB tires, especially into longer rides. Takes the edge off, leaves you fresh in the upper body, relaxed for longer and rides like a magic carpet.

When I lock the Future Shock on rough stuff to simulate a bike without the 20mm suspension, then I'm really happy to have it available and open it up again immediately ;)

However, the shock adds a hefty ~400g and is one more moving part you have to worry about. After 3.000 km ridden with the Future Shock 2.0, I cannot tell about long-term reliability, but so far no issues except for a cosmetic one: the rubber cover is already torn at a seam. This seems to be an issue for many (also discussed in this forum).

For me, gravel biking is about those long days exploring on all kinds of surfaces, and for this the shock element increases comfort and makes me want to ride the bike all day long, instead of dreading an uncomfortable ride... suspension element is worth it in my opinion.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'm not looking to run a very slammed postion but on the geo charts the Diverge jumps out as having a good 20-30mm extra stack in comparison to similar sized gravel offerings ('m looking in the 58 range). I think I'll need to take one out for a test once the lockdown lifts over here.

Glad to hear you've no material durablity issues on the shock. I guess the weight doesn't worry me so much given the usage, it's more the proprietary nature of it, I've been riding long enough to see various suspension offerings become obsolete after 3/4years (AMP or GIRVIN linkage forks, Flex-stems, road rock shox, hell even the futureshock 1.0), but I do ride a lefty on my XC bike so am not afraid to take a punt if it works!

Lovely looking bike you have there btw
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

henau212

by henau212

bikewithnoname wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:54 pm
Thanks, that's really helpful. I'm not looking to run a very slammed postion but on the geo charts the Diverge jumps out as having a good 20-30mm extra stack in comparison to similar sized gravel offerings ('m looking in the 58 range). I think I'll need to take one out for a test once the lockdown lifts over here.

Glad to hear you've no material durablity issues on the shock. I guess the weight doesn't worry me so much given the usage, it's more the proprietary nature of it, I've been riding long enough to see various suspension offerings become obsolete after 3/4years (AMP or GIRVIN linkage forks, Flex-stems, road rock shox, hell even the futureshock 1.0), but I do ride a lefty on my XC bike so am not afraid to take a punt if it works!

Lovely looking bike you have there btw
Stack is measured to the top of the FutureShock for the Diverge.

2022 models are around the corner, but as far as I heard no major differences beside the color. I guess the ETAP XPLR will be on it once it hits the market (no idea when that is coming to market).

https://www.eriksbikeshop.com/specializ ... r5a11188/p
Found this.. Quite a wild mixture on the drivetrain (SRAM Rival Mullet with a Shimano chain and cassette). At least they got rid of tthat shitty wheelset.

Motorazr

by Motorazr

So, the 2021 $7,200 Pro Carbon came with Roval Terra CL wheels (with DT for Roval 350 hubs).

For 2022, the $5,800 Expert Carbon AXS will come with a "Roval Terra Carbon" wheelset (new DT 370 hubs). Not sure what that means though.

On the retail side, Specialized sells a "Roval Terra CLX" (25mm internal width) and "Roval Terra CLX EVO" (30mm internal width) - both wheelsets with Roval AFD2 hubs and DT Swiss EXP internals. I'm guessing that the "Roval Terra Carbon" wheelset is a slightly less expensive version of the "Roval Terra CLX" then. Or do you suppose that DT 370 hubs are an upgrade from "Roval AFD2 hubs with DT Swiss EXP internals"?

tritiltheend

by tritiltheend

How's the shifting on the Power2Max chainrings? I've been doing without power on my gravel rig and really feeling the need to get power back. I like the P2M gravel options, but I haven't had a single dropped chain so far with my GRX chainrings and reluctant to give them up. Other option is Assioma Duos with the SPD hack but they'd add weight over my current setup and don't like way the pod sticks out, I've got some scratches on my GRX crankarms from riding trails on the gravel bike. The Garmin XC pedals are expensive and heavy, plus everyone I know that's had Garmin Vectors has had trouble. Single sided power is not an option as I have a leg imbalance.

Nice rig, btw!

Motorazr

by Motorazr

bikewithnoname wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:54 pm
I've yet to see a single negative review of the Redshift ShockStop stem (with 20mm of tunable travel). I'm wondering if anyone has yet compared their experience with the ShockStop vs FutureShock 1.5/2.0. Is one noticably better than the other and can a FutureShock bike be easily converted to use a ShockStop?

justRideIt

by justRideIt

tritiltheend wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:24 pm
How's the shifting on the Power2Max chainrings? I've been doing without power on my gravel rig and really feeling the need to get power back. I like the P2M gravel options, but I haven't had a single dropped chain so far with my GRX chainrings and reluctant to give them up. Other option is Assioma Duos with the SPD hack but they'd add weight over my current setup and don't like way the pod sticks out, I've got some scratches on my GRX crankarms from riding trails on the gravel bike. The Garmin XC pedals are expensive and heavy, plus everyone I know that's had Garmin Vectors has had trouble. Single sided power is not an option as I have a leg imbalance.

Nice rig, btw!
Thanks. Shifting is flawless, both up and down. No dropped chains and I ride it over rough stuff all the time. Would 100% put the same power meter on.

Shortly after, the Garmin SPD power pedals were released. But as you said, not only are they heavier, but pedal strikes are inevitable on rocky trails as well and would not want to strike with power pedals.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com