Rene herse/compass tyres

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
emotive
Posts: 546
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:40 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

by emotive

fattywilliams wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:42 pm
how can it be lighter than the Barlow pass given that they are 44mm and the Barlow only 38?
They have the same casing but the Barlow Pass has slightly thicker tread. Snoqualmie Pass has thinner tread. I've currently have a Barlow Pass mounted on the front and a Snoqualmie Pass on the rear. Both great tyres. Both fast on roads and gravel. In a group ride or climbing, the width doesn't cost you much, if any speed. Once you get over 40km/h there is a penalty, the 38mm on the front costs me about 5km/h on my fastest local descent, compared to my roadie with aero wheels: 58km/h vs 63km/h average speed over 4km.

For my frame geometry, the 44mm on the front slows the steering down a bit too much, so I prefer the 38mm size.

I have 2600km on the BP since November 2019, and no punctures. I have 5000km on the SP, and no punctures. I put a 3mm wide stick through the other SP by riding over a branch at the 3500km mark. The hole was too big for the dynaplug, and I had to put a tube in. I've also tried the 35mm Extra Light, 32mm Extra Light, and 28mm Standard Rene Herse tyres on this bike and two other bikes. All roll very well. The 28's lasted 7000km before they were very thin and puncturing every couple of weeks. I've since switched to Vittoria Corsa Tubeless for my pure road bike, but will continue to use Rene Herse for anything 35mm or larger.

"The best upgrade you can make to a bike is quality tires, that's why the first product we made was a tire". Mike Sinyard, Founder, Specialized Bicycles.

MikeD
Posts: 777
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:55 pm

by MikeD

I had the regular Snoqualmie Pass tires. I had issues with them run tubeless and now run Hutchinson Overides, which I consider to be a better tubeless tire and also more durable. Anyone find the Snoqualmie Pass tires are noisy?

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



fattywilliams
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:43 pm

by fattywilliams

MikeD wrote:I had the regular Snoqualmie Pass tires. I had issues with them run tubeless and now run Hutchinson Overides, which I consider to be a better tubeless tire and also more durable. Anyone find the Snoqualmie Pass tires are noisy?
What sort of issues mate

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk


MikeD
Posts: 777
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:55 pm

by MikeD

fattywilliams wrote:
MikeD wrote:I had the regular Snoqualmie Pass tires. I had issues with them run tubeless and now run Hutchinson Overides, which I consider to be a better tubeless tire and also more durable. Anyone find the Snoqualmie Pass tires are noisy?
What sort of issues mate

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk
Casing was porous so it bled air and sealant. A bubble formed in the tread of one tire, beads stretched permanently so it was very hard to reinflate a used tire, even with a compressor.

Tamu8104
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:45 am
Location: US

by Tamu8104

OnTheRivet wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:29 pm
There are no "free lunches" when it comes to bicycle tires. Panaracer hasn't discovered some magical material allowing these to be light and durable. Likley these have limited belting and very little rubber which both affects durability. No way I would use these for anything resembling dirt and would use a 28/30c if used on the road exclusivley as aero on these would be terrible.
Not all gravel is equal but I've done many gravel miles and several gravel races on the smaller Jon Bon Pass. I'm on my third set, wore the first one out after ~2,000 miles without any issues. The second set had nearly that many miles before I tore a sidewall which was the first time I've had too put a tube in any of these. My experience hasn't been any worse than others I ride with on WTB, Spesh, etc gravel tires.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

fattywilliams
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:43 pm

by fattywilliams

Tamu8104 wrote:
OnTheRivet wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:29 pm
There are no "free lunches" when it comes to bicycle tires. Panaracer hasn't discovered some magical material allowing these to be light and durable. Likley these have limited belting and very little rubber which both affects durability. No way I would use these for anything resembling dirt and would use a 28/30c if used on the road exclusivley as aero on these would be terrible.
Not all gravel is equal but I've done many gravel miles and several gravel races on the smaller Jon Bon Pass. I'm on my third set, wore the first one out after ~2,000 miles without any issues. The second set had nearly that many miles before I tore a sidewall which was the first time I've had too put a tube in any of these. My experience hasn't been any worse than others I ride with on WTB, Spesh, etc gravel tires.
Thanks for feedback is this standard or exralight casing?

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk


Tamu8104
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:45 am
Location: US

by Tamu8104

This is the standard casing
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

NickJHP
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:22 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

by NickJHP

fattywilliams wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:42 pm
Looking into get some high volume but light mainly road tyres so looking into the rene herse tyres anyone got experience of the Snoqualmie Pass how can it be lighter (incredibly light according to there website) than the Barlow pass given that they are 44mm and the Barlow only 38?
I have Compass Bon Jon Pass extra light (700x35) on my Open UPPER, and find them fine for rides with a mixture of bitumen and unsealed roads and fire trails (but not singletrack). I have them setup tubeless with Orange Seal on some wheels I built using Light Bicycle 25mm wide (18mm internal width) rims, on which they actually measure 36mm wide. As a skinny 65kg lightweight, I inflate them to ~35psi front and ~50psi rear. I also occasionally take that bike with those tyres out with the local road-racing training bunches, and they're fine for that as well.

bikesrdangerousmmk
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:54 am

by bikesrdangerousmmk

NickJHP wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:34 pm
fattywilliams wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:42 pm
Looking into get some high volume but light mainly road tyres so looking into the rene herse tyres anyone got experience of the Snoqualmie Pass how can it be lighter (incredibly light according to there website) than the Barlow pass given that they are 44mm and the Barlow only 38?
I have Compass Bon Jon Pass extra light (700x35) on my Open UPPER, and find them fine for rides with a mixture of bitumen and unsealed roads and fire trails (but not singletrack). I have them setup tubeless with Orange Seal on some wheels I built using Light Bicycle 25mm wide (18mm internal width) rims, on which they actually measure 36mm wide. As a skinny 65kg lightweight, I inflate them to ~35psi front and ~50psi rear. I also occasionally take that bike with those tyres out with the local road-racing training bunches, and they're fine for that as well.
Have you also tried the standard casing in that tire? I'd interested in a few anecdotal comparisons between the EL and standard versions of this tire.

spdntrxi
Posts: 4701
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

I've used EL and Std in both Bon Jon and Barlow pass (38).. I really like the 38, but they are too tall for my fenders so I usually ride with the bon jons, since I can quickly slap on the PDW fenders and go.

Other then weight... I cant feel any difference. I actually have a EL bon jon for the front and std bon jon on the rear currently.

I've done some singletrack with both.. yeah in the back of my head I'm thinking it's not the smartest thing to do. I did have one puncture in dec with the barlow passes. Sharp rock hole in the tread area.(went through a rock bed) . no sidewall damage yet on std or EL models.
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

Imaking20
Posts: 2394
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:19 am

by Imaking20

Spent some quality time today on gravel roads that turned into forest service roads that turned into jeep trails that turned into quad trails. Lots of rocks and such that had me a touch nervous, but mindful line selection meant the day was a success! That's the roughest test I've given the Snoqualmie EL and they passed with flying colors!

Image

Image

Image

bikesrdangerousmmk
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:54 am

by bikesrdangerousmmk

Any chance a 35mm tubeless bon Jon pass would fit in an enve 2.0 road disc fork?

Imaking20
Posts: 2394
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:19 am

by Imaking20

Give it a try and report back.

bikesrdangerousmmk
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:54 am

by bikesrdangerousmmk

Imaking20 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:30 am
Give it a try and report back.
Indeed. If not, they'll go on the gravel/cx rig.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



romanmoser
Posts: 546
Joined: Sun May 06, 2018 8:30 pm

by romanmoser

Won't fit
Or maybe in your living room

32 33mm measured tire are the biggest I would use with enve disc fork
( I've one )

Post Reply