Rene herse/compass tyres

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

fattywilliams

by fattywilliams

Looking into get some high volume but light mainly road tyres so looking into the rene herse tyres anyone got experience of the Snoqualmie Pass how can it be lighter (incredibly light according to there website) than the Barlow pass given that they are 44mm and the Barlow only 38?

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Seems like you're asking a rhetorical question with weight. Is your hope with this thread to get a bunch of speculation about why the (proven, documented) weight difference could possibly be - or to get feedback on user experience with the Snoqualmie?

fattywilliams

by fattywilliams

Yh just feedback are they durable enough seems strange that they are so light?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Agree that it's strange they're so light. I'm only ~200 miles into use of my Snoqualmie Extralights but so far they've given me confidence. No whiff of issues on gravel or dirt, roll great on asphalt and they're actually holding air better than any other tubeless setup I've got in the garage at the moment.

fattywilliams

by fattywilliams

Good to hear they are the exact ones I would like black extra light casing.is the ride feel as good as they say? Do they feel sluggish at all on pavement any tyres you could gauge them against in terms of persieved rolling resistance

Imaking20

by Imaking20

It's like riding on a couch.

Like I said above, they roll great on asphalt. I'm still comfortably averaging 19-20mph on most rides on the Hakka. The fact that this setup is so comfortable and does not feel at all sluggish on the road is probably the biggest reason I've decided to replace my Tarmac with a Venge. If it's windy out or I just want to cruise in comfort, which I used to reserve a shallow wheel setup for on the Tarmac, now I'll just ride the Ibis.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

How wide do the Snoqualmie Pass tires measure? On what width of rim?

fattywilliams

by fattywilliams

Imaking20 wrote:It's like riding on a couch.

Like I said above, they roll great on asphalt. I'm still comfortably averaging 19-20mph on most rides on the Hakka. The fact that this setup is so comfortable and does not feel at all sluggish on the road is probably the biggest reason I've decided to replace my Tarmac with a Venge. If it's windy out or I just want to cruise in comfort, which I used to reserve a shallow wheel setup for on the Tarmac, now I'll just ride the Ibis.
Sound brilliant mate im sold

Imaking20

by Imaking20

LeDuke wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:24 pm
How wide do the Snoqualmie Pass tires measure? On what width of rim?
40psi mounted on Stans Grail CB7 (21.6mm ID)

fattywilliams

by fattywilliams

What sealant did you go with mate?

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

There are no "free lunches" when it comes to bicycle tires. Panaracer hasn't discovered some magical material allowing these to be light and durable. Likley these have limited belting and very little rubber which both affects durability. No way I would use these for anything resembling dirt and would use a 28/30c if used on the road exclusivley as aero on these would be terrible.

fattywilliams

by fattywilliams

OnTheRivet wrote:There are no "free lunches" when it comes to bicycle tires. Panaracer hasn't discovered some magical material allowing these to be light and durable. Likley these have limited belting and very little rubber which both affects durability. No way I would use these for anything resembling dirt and would use a 28/30c if used on the road exclusivley as aero on these would be terrible.
Yh understood but depends what you want from a "road" tyre this isn't going on bike that is going to be road fast it's a winter/commute/credit card touring bike where the added comfort and grip is the main thing Im after on this particular bike

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I find it interesting that the most brash opinions on cycling gear tend to come from people with no firsthand experience with it...

fattywilliams

by fattywilliams

Imaking20 wrote:I find it interesting that the most brash opinions on cycling gear tend to come from people with no firsthand experience with it...
You got any pics of the full bike with them on mate just to see what the look like fatter tyre looks class I reckon and haven't seen many with the black side walls which I'm a fan of also

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

The build thread is in my signature