Rene herse/compass tyres

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

acousticbiker

by acousticbiker

bikesrdangerousmmk wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:32 pm
FYI, have been loving the terra speed so much compared to my old Boken tires that I haven't even put the Barlow pass tires on yet.
Did you ever try the Barlow Pass? I'm trying to find a comparison of those vs the Terra Speeds and curious your thoughts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

I ride several different Panaracer Tires, Compass/Herse Bon Jovi EL among them.

I had Terra Speeds, but the ride quality was the typical Conti "garden hose" feel so I got rid of them

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:01 am
Anyone knows a working email or other way to contact the company? The customerservice@renehersecycles.com does not work anymore and there are no emails or contact forms on their web site, as if by intent.
You could try commenting in a related topic on their journal/blog. For tires, for example, try https://www.renehersecycles.com/all-tir ... -in-stock/
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

Marin

by Marin

You can message Jan on Instagram

3phase

by 3phase

I'm planning to get these tyres as I think ,Tanwalls look damn good . Barlow or Bon Jon Pass in extra light are my options.
Some questions to those who have expereienced riding on this:
Is it a given that these will weep sealant on the first few weeks?
90% road/pavement would be my route , the rest just packed dirt, loose gravel. Should be capable right?
Do they really roll fast?

Looking at the GravelKing SS too.

Thanks!

jrobart

by jrobart

Had Bon Jons from a few years ago (just before name change) and one tire weeped terribly (other tire was fine). But the ride was SPECTACULAR! Currently riding Snoqualmies with Endurance side walls with no issues. Have a set of Snoqualmie extralight and Barlow Pass extralights that I'll mount once the roads improve a bit with the warmer weather.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

3phase

by 3phase

jrobart wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:28 am
Had Bon Jons from a few years ago (just before name change) and one tire weeped terribly (other tire was fine). But the ride was SPECTACULAR! Currently riding Snoqualmies with Endurance side walls with no issues. Have a set of Snoqualmie extralight and Barlow Pass extralights that I'll mount once the roads improve a bit with the warmer weather.
Did the weeping eventually stopped? Yeah i heard the ride is really good on this tyres.

How's the ride feel on the Enduarnce side walls?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

extralites weep... standards did not. Yes eventually it stops but it takes awhile.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

jrobart

by jrobart

Agreed, weeping eventually stops. The Endurance side walls ride great. Had I not experienced the feel of the standards and extralites, I would be overwhelmed by the endurance. These tires and a Ti frame = magic carpet ride with no sluggishness.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

3phase

by 3phase

Thanks all for the replies. I guess i'll give it a go!

Etienne

by Etienne

Hi, I am using Bon Jon Pass EL tires and I learned a few things about installation that might help ...

Unlike more rigid tires, RH tires require a very good rim tape preparation and I prefer 2 layers of tape than a single one.

When adding sealant after installation and while the beads are firmly seated, don't inflate the tires to service pressure ... keep them around 20-25psi, vigorously shake the wheels then set them laying on one side then another for 24h in order to "coat" the inside of the tire with sealant.

Then inflate to your prefered pressure and ride ... this process reduces the weeping to its lowest, not zero but still managable.

Being a tubular rider, I don't mind a little bit of preparation and anticipation when I change tires, but for plug and play fans, I guess this is already too much :mrgreen:

bluebottle81

by bluebottle81

Interesting that Rene Herse say the 35c and up are tubeless compatible but the 32c and down are not. I'd be quite keen on the Stampede Pass 32c if could run them tubeless but not sure if I should be nervous about trying that.

This bloke seems to have managed ok:
https://vikapproved.wordpress.com/2014/ ... ss-part-1/

jemima

by jemima

Prepare them similar to Etienne above. Been using just the black extralights for a couple years. Chose those initially after reading a small number of comments mentioning the tan-wall extralights were more prone to weeping due to something about the wall makeup of those vs the blacks.

On the first couple of sets I used there were a few pinholes at setup, but no weeping.
Curve Grovel ti.

3phase

by 3phase

Etienne wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:15 am
Hi, I am using Bon Jon Pass EL tires and I learned a few things about installation that might help ...

Unlike more rigid tires, RH tires require a very good rim tape preparation and I prefer 2 layers of tape than a single one.

When adding sealant after installation and while the beads are firmly seated, don't inflate the tires to service pressure ... keep them around 20-25psi, vigorously shake the wheels then set them laying on one side then another for 24h in order to "coat" the inside of the tire with sealant.

Then inflate to your prefered pressure and ride ... this process reduces the weeping to its lowest, not zero but still managable.

Being a tubular rider, I don't mind a little bit of preparation and anticipation when I change tires, but for plug and play fans, I guess this is already too much :mrgreen:
Well noted!! Thank you!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

3phase wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:04 am
I'm planning to get these tyres as I think ,Tanwalls look damn good . Barlow or Bon Jon Pass in extra light are my options.
Some questions to those who have expereienced riding on this:
Is it a given that these will weep sealant on the first few weeks?
90% road/pavement would be my route , the rest just packed dirt, loose gravel. Should be capable right?
Do they really roll fast?

Looking at the GravelKing SS too.

Thanks!
Gravelking Slicks are the perfect alternative to Bon Jovi EL. The GK tested just as fast and are quite a bit more robust and more TL-friendly. And a THIRD of the price! I have a set of both, ride quality is also similar, EL better but GK very good too.

Haven't seen a test of the SS yet unfortunately, but the SK are a bit slower than the slicks.