Rene herse/compass tyres

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

allrandomletters

by allrandomletters

I was specifically talking in regards to installation. I was only offering advice on how to install tires.

You said the beads stretch over time. Jan said the beads do not stretch overtime. That goes against what you said before and is straight from the source.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartacus

by spartacus

allrandomletters wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:41 pm
I was specifically talking in regards to installation. I was only offering advice on how to install tires.

You said the beads stretch over time. Jan said the beads do not stretch overtime. That goes against what you said before and is straight from the source.
Jan literally said the bead stretches to a settling point some time after initial installation, which is what I observed. This is directly related to installing the tire since if it starts off loose, it will be even looser later. This is (one reason) why JH says not to install them with a compressor.

ccie6872

by ccie6872

Building up my first gravel/cyclecross bike in some time. I don't plan to do too much graveling now that we are entering the winter but want to venture out conservativly. This bike (CruX) will be mainly for enjoyment vs my F and R5 (go fast days). I am torn between the bon jon pass and bar low pass. I plan on selecting the light weight option and running tubless on a zipp 303 firecrest. Being a mainly a roadie and this bike will be 80% road / 20% dirt any recommendation? Any other tire I should consider?

rollinslow

by rollinslow

ccie6872 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:38 pm
Building up my first gravel/cyclecross bike in some time. I don't plan to do too much graveling now that we are entering the winter but want to venture out conservativly. This bike (CruX) will be mainly for enjoyment vs my F and R5 (go fast days). I am torn between the bon jon pass and bar low pass. I plan on selecting the light weight option and running tubless on a zipp 303 firecrest. Being a mainly a roadie and this bike will be 80% road / 20% dirt any recommendation? Any other tire I should consider?
I would stick with those options unless you go Gravel King (file tread version). I would probably get the Barlow Pass so you can differentiate the ride feel more than your regular road bikes. Get extralight version for your type of riding. Heavy tires will make your gravel bike feel like a total slug on the tarmac in my experience.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

ccie6872

by ccie6872

rollinslow wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:51 am
ccie6872 wrote:
I would stick with those options unless you go Gravel King (file tread version). I would probably get the Barlow Pass so you can differentiate the ride feel more than your regular road bikes. Get extralight version for your type of riding. Heavy tires will make your gravel bike feel like a total slug on the tarmac in my experience.
Thank you, that is the direction I was leaning... I have standardized on Stans sealant... do I need the stuff they sell (latex based) or stans would work?

emotive

by emotive

ccie6872 wrote:
rollinslow wrote:
ccie6872 wrote:
Thank you, that is the direction I was leaning... I have standardized on Stans sealant... do I need the stuff they sell (latex based) or stans would work?
I’ve tried both the Bon Jon and the Barlow. Currently have the BJP on the font and BP on the rear. Always Extralight for me as we don’t have sharp rocks in my area. Both are great tyres. You want a latex based sealant to seal the sidewalls on RH tyres, especially Extralight versions. I have been running Orange seal endurance for a couple of years and had good success.

emotive

by emotive

ccie6872 wrote:
rollinslow wrote:
ccie6872 wrote:
I’ve used both the Bon Jon and the Barlow. Currently have the BJP on the front and BP on the rear. A smidge faster on th the road on fast descents. Always Extralight for me as we don’t have sharp rocks in my area. Both are great tyres but I will go back to BP front and rear just for the extra suspension and grip on dirt. I have a road bike for going fast too so my gravel bike is only for routes with some gravel and for cruiser recovery rides. If I was commuting or had only one bike I’d go BJP.

You want a latex based sealant to seal the sidewalls on RH tyres, especially Extralight versions. I have been running Orange seal endurance for a couple of years and had good success.